Giant Tran Send DX Commuter Bike

• Stem: 3D Forged Alloy Ahead, 15 degree rise

[Aug 05, 2019]
0varianMimes

OVERALL
Strength:

Not as heavy as it looks. Joyful to ride around town. Also capable of going on some light off road adventures. The fenders make riding in the rain no problem whatsoever. This bike is my best friend. :)

Very soon after I bought her, the reflectors that had been in the pedals fell out. Another good reason to always add more reflective stuff on your bike if you’re night riding!! There was also an issue where the front fender coming loose on one side. I just used a piece of wire to hold it in place.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2008
[Apr 26, 2009]
Andrew Andersen

OVERALL
Strength:

Good value. This bike ships with a rack, fenders, bell, and kick-stand.

Aluminum frame gives a stiff ride. Upright stance is not so good for long commutes.

I couple of months ago I decided I was sick of driving my gas-pig 16 miles up Lincoln to work 5 days a week. Something clicked in my head when I realized that I am in fact capable of riding a bike. "That's right" I thought, "Back in the day I rode for a living delivering packages for Marathon Messengers in Boston." I had my stripped down single speed with a big old basket in front, in fact I did not get my driver's license until I was 23 as I rode everywhere. What happened?
Southern California, That's what. You are what you drive.
I needed a bike.
I did my research on sites like this one. I shopped around, rode a few bikes and settled on the Giant Tran Send DX. Overall it is a good bike. It is like the Honda Civic of the bike world. Not bad looking, very efficient, comfortable and practical. It is the opposite of the sexy stripped down fixed wheel street cycle that was in my heart. It's kind of the Swiss Army Knife of bikes. It has everything including a bell/ compass. (bell = useful, compass... ah not so much).
OK enough of that. I have put in about 700 miles on my Tran Send and this is what I think: The overall quality and build of the bike are good. The components are the standard Shimano stuff you find on most bikes in this price range. This is my first aluminum bike. The ride is much stiffer than a steel framed bike. At speeds going down hills it vibrates. I have found the saddle comfortable. My commute is about 17 miles, this initially took about an hour and a half, I now have it down to an hour and 5 minutes. I'm not breaking any records here, just saying the bike is comfortable for such a ride. I do not encounter many hills though I have a few, I find the gearing to be fine, perhaps to many. The bike comes with a rack and fenders. The rack is this sort of Ikea looking thing with wood. It looks nice and works fine. Fenders for me are something I thought would be good but It really does not rain here in Southern California. Maybe they are more weight and wind resistance than useful; if it rains where you are, fenders are your friends. Think about your commute: Is it hilly? Is it windy? Is there rain, snow, sleet? Most of my commute is on a beach bike path along Santa Monica Bay. I encounter wind, wind blown sand, joggers, bikers, dog-walkers, etc. The upright riding position is great for maneuvering in traffic, but not so great ridding into a headwind. The single position handlebars have great grips, but sometimes I wish I could tuck down a bit, or change hand position. I put pedals with toe clips on for more power and will be putting a narrower (faster) set of tires on as soon as the ones it shipped with wear down a bit. I am also considering a new handlebar head that will lower my stance forward a bit. I carry a little allen wrench set to make adjustments as I go. finding the best seat hight etc is key for a long ride.
Overall, if you have the money for a bike in this price range, it is a good choice. If you are on a budget, get an old japanese or french 10 speed, and fix it up yourself. Either way find a good locally owned bike shop to help you out. My guy's have totally hooked me up and have advised against foolish extras and have backed the product 100% I love riding my bike. It brings me joy, humanity, and humility.
RIDE HARD