Giant Tran Send EX Commuter Bike

• Pedals: Alloy/Kraton Comfort Platform

[Jan 11, 2010]
sliderule43

OVERALL
Strength:

Well made. Easy and firm adjustments. Great shifting. Disc brakes. Good riding position for rec rider. Internal hubs minimize adjustments. Adjustable handlebars.

Heavy. Rear rack is attractive, but not that useful. Looks great though for neighborhood riding.

Well made bike with internal hub. My first Giant bike and I really like the quality. Perfect bike for retiree (me).

I liked the back rack when I bought it, but not that practical. Purchased twin briefcase bags made for this rack-$90. Wish I replaced the rack, as the first reviewer did.

Schwinn 3 speed internal hub. Absolutely no comparison to this Giant.

[Mar 22, 2009]
krynn9000

OVERALL
Strength:

-disc brakes, fenders, chain guard (mandatory items for me on a commuter)
-ergonomics
-AFINE REAR HUB

-stock mechanical disc brakes don't stop very well and are noisy
-bike is extremely heavy
-heavy no name wheels
-vertical drop outs require goofy Alfine chain tensioner

This is a solid commuter and comes fairly close to my "ideal commuter" bike. After looking at TONS of options for commuting, I guarantee you that NO bike has every feature that a commuter needs; all are lacking in some way. This bike does a good job! Disc brakes, chainguard/fenders, rack, and Alfine 8spd rear hub make for a solid commuter. Honestly, the only way to get the perfect commuter is to build one yourself from the ground up.

looked at various commuter bikes. The Specialized Globe models come close, but don't have disc brakes!