Masi Soulville Commuter Bike

• Stem: Ritchey Adjustable

[Nov 04, 2011]
casey redder

OVERALL
Strength:

comfortable, simple,

awesome bike for quick trips to the coffee shop, grocery store, or commute to work...longer rides on the weekend are nice as well.

[Jun 17, 2011]
Brian

OVERALL
Strength:

Cool design and look.
Comfortable and easy to maintain.
Brings out that kid in me feeling of just getting on a bike and riding it.

Only has a front brake. Not normally a problem, but pulling kids, I like to have a backup plan.
Paint chips easily. I only care because it is a cool looking bike.

I have the 2009 pea soup green single speed. Overall, I enjoy this bike because it is low maintenance and comfortable. I use it to commute and pull the kids along the urban trails in a Chariot. I have not flipped the rear wheel to make it a fixed yet, solely because it is not a quick release. The wide handlebars give plenty of room and leverage for hills.

The bike has nice geometry. It is more upright than a mountainbike, but still more aggressive than a hybrid/trail bike. I feel I can go out on a relaxing ride, or hammer down and the bike is well suited for either.

The bike has a great price point. Yes, it could have some better components, but the existing are solid and keep this bike affordable. It is great for someone who wants a solid bike at a decent price, or as an additional bike.

Almost everything else.

[Jan 25, 2011]
BunnV

OVERALL
Strength:

Beautiful to look at. Smooth ride. Great paint. Not common. Italian history/heritage.

Brakes suck. White finish on spokes is chipping off already. Cheap rear hub is "cruncy".

How is it possible that I'm writing the first review for a bike that's been out for 3 years???
I bought the Soulville SS single speed version that has the "flip flop" hub. One side is fixed, on freewheels. I wanted to keep it simple so the SS was the logical choice over the 3,7 or 10 speed versions out there. For 2011 Masi only offers the 7 speed or the SS. Mine is a 2010 SS and has Tektro rim brakes front and rear. I love the bright green color (not everyone does though) and the paint is job is high quality. This is my first steel bike since 1989 and it does ride very smoothly especially with the fat 700C X 40 tires. This is no weight weenie bike but I was surprised that it only weighs 24 pounds stock. Most of the components are mid to low end so there is plenty of room for improvement in performance and weight. The bike is geared at 71 gear inches which works perfectly for how I ride it. I took it on a 23 mile loop that included 1000 feet of elevation gain and it was surprisingly capable. Considering I had flat pedals and jeans on, the bike worked extremely well. Honestly, weight and performance take a back seat to how cool this bike looks. I already have a nice carbon road bike and two very nice mountain bikes. I wanted something that is more laid back, chilled out. This bike is all that and more. It's my current favorite bike and now that they are being closed out the value cant be beat. My bike has a retail price of $699. I paid $330 plus $85 shipping for it on ebay. The crankset on my Ibis cost the same amount.... I highly recommend this bike. Just don't expect high-end components- there are none. I'm sure in 2 to 3 years the only thing original on my bike will be the frame and fork, which are by far the best parts.

Motobecane Outcast 26 SS