Specialized Expedition Low Entry Commuter Bike

Around town or the campground, the Expedition is comfortable, plush, and perfect for cruising paved and dirt roads. Low-entry frame improves convenience and confidence, and 21 speeds will keep the pedaling efficient on any terrain.

[Apr 07, 2015]
mike miller

OVERALL
Strength:

An inexpensive, solid quality comfort bike. 7 speeds on a rear derailleur controlled with a twist grip. The alloy frame is heavier than a good road bike, but robust and should last a lifetime. The front forks help to smooth the ride. Balloon tires also help with the ride, though they do require a bit more effort on pavement than thin, high pressure road tires.

The gearing is low, to allow for easier pedaling around town, but I found 13-14 to be about as fast as I could pedal. I slightly larger front sprocket that would allow a more reasonable cadence at a higher speed. The twist shifter works well, but feels cheap and not built to last. The bike is a little heavy, though probably about average for this class.

I am a 70 year old man in good health, but I can no longer do justice to a high performance bike and my days of very long cross country trips are long in my past. This bike is a fine choice for a 'beach cruiser' or for casual around town use. I like mine, though I may convert it to electric assist to ease the arthritic pain in my knees. I bought the bike because it is light enough to haul up a flight of stairs and strong enough to carry a motor and batteries.