Specialized Source Expert Disc Commuter Bike

A true multi-tasker for anything from commuting to a weekend camping trek down the coast with loaded panniers, the Source Expert Disc does it all anytime, anywhere with disc brakes and integrated lights, rack, and fenders; plus 2x10 FSA/SRAM Apex drivetrain for lighter weight and flawless shifting.

[Aug 05, 2015]
Tom Iarossi

OVERALL
Strength:

Quick, responsive, fast, comfortable

No owners manual in print or online, so I had to figure out how to turn the hub generator off myself.

This bike joins my Marin Argenta road bike and Jamis Dakar Comp mountain bike, and each fits it role well. The Source Expert is my favorite, though, because of all the strengths I listed. It fits me perfectly and is fast and responsive, and the only change I made was to install dual platrom/SPD pedals since I prefer to have my feet attached for more efficient pedalling.

One of my favorite things is the drivetrain - although the SRAM Apex is a fourth-tier derailleur, the 2 X 10 gearing with an 11-32 cassette is perfect, allowing me to flatten hills and gain speed quickly in traffic. Effortless, worry free shifts even under pressure are the norm. The geometry is perfect. Everything just works perfectly, and even at 27+ pounds it moves. I coomute on mine and I am planning a major road trip up the California coast soon.

[Aug 12, 2013]
Danilo

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, great gears, and effortless pedaling. Silent and quick. I tried it in real heavy rain and it goes like if it was dry.

None really,you can't load the bike with really heavy bags or have a person sitting in the back but that's not the idea behind this bike. I think the recommended limit is about 25kg but I tried sitting there and it took my weight. (89kg) I recommend changing the pedals since I love bike shoes but that's more my preference.

A great bike for the daily commute, it isn't cheap but try it and you will understand why.