Electra Bicycle Company Straight 8 Cruiser Bike

The Straight Eight is a great machine for late-night rides to the pool hall, tattoo parlor and around the pits at the local track. It features Shimano 3-speed gearing, a wide cruiser saddle and a rugged triple-clamp fork.

[Jun 26, 2020]
jewilson2

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth. Nice big bike. Good for taller riders. Aluminum frame makes it super light. I had the standard fork model as apposed to the triple tree. Which I prefer for functionality. But, think the triples look cooler.

No welded on block for coaster brake arm to mount to. I had came up with what ended up looking nice strap situation. But, still feel it takes away from the overall sleek look of the bike. The bike I had purchased used was spray painted all black for who knows what reason. I painstakingly restores it to its original form. With my own touches of course. And, getting to that brake arm and mounting up, was just disappointing how it ended up being kinda cheesy. Not sure if this is all the models or just the one I got. But, this little detail still bugs me. Great bike overall though. Without a doubt. Unfortunely, it’s a really sweet looking bike to others as well. And, some jackoff in hb felt they needed it more than me. Super bummed. Always on the lookout for another one. Favorite bike I’ve owned, hands down.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
[Jun 23, 2020]
KHFinland

OVERALL
Strength:

Using this bike in Finland since 2005 - Great riding feel, good riding position - Sturdy chormed fork feels awesome and looks cool - Light Alumin(i)um frame compared to steel equivalent - Nice 24x3” custom tires rides smooth and softens bumps. Used the same tires since 2005 and still no sign of wear. - Shimano 3-speed nexus hubs gives adequate gearing with the stock 20x44 sprockets in everyday use.

- Not surely a con, but the cool chopper style look turns heads, which is nice, but attracts also bike thieves. - The hub in my model is quite stiff when the shimanos recommended white grease is used, but when cleaned and used with transmission oil, the ride is considerably lighter. -When oil is used it must be added regularly through the shifter axle hole few times in a year.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2005
[Nov 13, 2019]
mtblank

OVERALL
Strength:

Great ride. Beautiful look

None I am aware of.

[Aug 23, 2016]
David Bryant

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable ride. Versitile design for street and off-road use.

Weighs 38 lb. so my wife can't put it on the bike carrier.

The first bicycle that I learned to ride as a young teen was a Schwinn Stingray with a banana seat. I have not ridden much since then, but I decided I wanted to get a bike that would ride similar to that. I wanted a coaster brake, a low center of gravity so I wouldn't have to stand on tippy-toes when I came to a stop, and multiple speeds. I searched on the internet and found the Electra Straight 8 seemed to be what I wanted. I called dealers all over the southeast, but none of them had one in stock. I hated to order one without having tried it first, but I realized I would have to take the risk. I ordered the bike and have been riding it a lot since I got it almost three months ago. I live in a very hilly area and the 8 speed hub works nicely on the hills. It is a great bike and my wife loves to ride it too - will probably have to buy another one :=)

[Dec 04, 2015]
bill carter

OVERALL
Strength:

this bike is the best smooth as silk looks gooks good as well buy this one you will see what a great ride it is:)

lightweight easy to ride realy comfortable stylish what more can you ask for get out and ride !!!!!!!!

[Jul 01, 2013]
Larry Daly

OVERALL
Strength:

I am 6' 4" all and 280 pounds. I ride my Straight 8 everywhere on vacation and when I am at the beach in Santa Barbara or Pismo Beach I get compliments everywhere I go. The bike is flawless, solid and rides so smooth. Not to good in the hills with only 3 gears but when I want to ride I pick this bike and not my fancy 21 speed road bike which climbs hills but look lousy and I never get any looks or compliments. In fact I am thinking of buying a new one as my paint has got a little chewed up on the bike rack over the years. My new bike rack is outrageous and the bike rides without any friction or rubbing on my other bikes at all. Love this one.

Not great in the hills

Best bike I have ever owned, which it had 10 gears.

[Apr 23, 2010]
SilverBack14

OVERALL
Strength:

Style and ride position. Ape hanger type h-bars are bada$$!

Love my Straight 8. So cool looking and fun to ride. It's my go to bike for weekend get aways.

[Jul 30, 2009]
choclodite

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth and the most comfortable ride that I ever had. Big fatti-o tires that cushion the worst of bumpy roads. The reclined ride with smooth 3 speeds.

Probably the coaster brakes -- they squeak a bit too much. May need to be greased or broke in more.

A super, comfortable ride. I had an Electra Cruiser 3i and it was nice, but after I saw the straight 8, I had to have one - and after I rode it, I immediately wanted to buy it. It's better looking in person than in a photograph. It's a smooth ride and the gearing is wonderful. I have been riding it every night and it works out muscles I thought I never had because of it's reclined, recumbent style.

[May 14, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Build quality, style, and comfort. The motorcycle style forks are great and are not offered on the new '07 Straight 8. (Electra has gone to regular front fork and will sell you the chrome front end for about $150 extra!) Try to find an earlier model if you can.

While the Nexus hub is easy to operate, there is some slop to it that would not adjust out. (After coasting, when you resume pedaling, the crank sort of "freewheels" for a bit before grabbing.) This bothered me some at first, but I've since tuned it out.

Keep in mind that this is a cruiser. You will be disappointed if you expect it to climb hills well.

As for price: The cost didn't phase me too much because after seeing the bike, I just had to have it. After owning it for a while, I have never even thought about the cost. (I'm only mentioning it under "weaknesses" because the others have.) The good things in life cost money, and if you like cool bikes, this Electra is definately one of the good things in life! Just buy it! You won't be sorry.

This is by far the coolest bike I have ever owned! (I currently own four) I have described my Electra Straight 8 as a piece of rolling art, and as a bike that you cannot ride without smiling. The finish on the bike is outstanding! Great lines, deep black shiny paint, beautiful red spokes, cool fat tires, perfect handlebars, etc, etc, etc. It is funky, without being tacky. Just right... and almost everyone you meet will tell you so. (Even hard-core guys - One guy was walking his $8000 carbon road bike into the shop, took one look, and said "Cool bike Man!") I still find myself staring at it in the garage, even after owning it for over a year. I LOVE this cruiser!!!

The comfortable seat and the Fatty-O tires eliminate the need for any kind of suspension and makes cruising easy. I have ridden the "8" on an 8-10 mile "pub crawl" and felt great. (Maybe it was the beer!) Even when riding with guys on custom cruisers and chopper bikes, the "8" always seems to draw the most compliments. Simply awesome...

Because I love this bike so much, and have discovered that cruising is so much fun, I'm about to part with another $600 and buy an Electra Boney Finger, which is basically a Straight 8 in different colors. (I'm going to put WHITEWALL Fatto-O's on that one!)

[May 14, 2007]