Electra Bicycle Company Straight 8 Cruiser Bike

The Straight Eight is a great machine for late-night rides to the pool hall, tattoo parlor and around the pits at the local track. It features Shimano 3-speed gearing, a wide cruiser saddle and a rugged triple-clamp fork.

[Nov 13, 2019]
mtblank

OVERALL
Strength:

Great ride. Beautiful look

None I am aware of.

[Aug 23, 2016]
David Bryant

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable ride. Versitile design for street and off-road use.

Weighs 38 lb. so my wife can't put it on the bike carrier.

The first bicycle that I learned to ride as a young teen was a Schwinn Stingray with a banana seat. I have not ridden much since then, but I decided I wanted to get a bike that would ride similar to that. I wanted a coaster brake, a low center of gravity so I wouldn't have to stand on tippy-toes when I came to a stop, and multiple speeds. I searched on the internet and found the Electra Straight 8 seemed to be what I wanted. I called dealers all over the southeast, but none of them had one in stock. I hated to order one without having tried it first, but I realized I would have to take the risk. I ordered the bike and have been riding it a lot since I got it almost three months ago. I live in a very hilly area and the 8 speed hub works nicely on the hills. It is a great bike and my wife loves to ride it too - will probably have to buy another one :=)

[Dec 04, 2015]
bill carter

OVERALL
Strength:

this bike is the best smooth as silk looks gooks good as well buy this one you will see what a great ride it is:)

lightweight easy to ride realy comfortable stylish what more can you ask for get out and ride !!!!!!!!

[Jul 01, 2013]
Larry Daly

OVERALL
Strength:

I am 6' 4" all and 280 pounds. I ride my Straight 8 everywhere on vacation and when I am at the beach in Santa Barbara or Pismo Beach I get compliments everywhere I go. The bike is flawless, solid and rides so smooth. Not to good in the hills with only 3 gears but when I want to ride I pick this bike and not my fancy 21 speed road bike which climbs hills but look lousy and I never get any looks or compliments. In fact I am thinking of buying a new one as my paint has got a little chewed up on the bike rack over the years. My new bike rack is outrageous and the bike rides without any friction or rubbing on my other bikes at all. Love this one.

Not great in the hills

Best bike I have ever owned, which it had 10 gears.

[Apr 23, 2010]
SilverBack14

OVERALL
Strength:

Style and ride position. Ape hanger type h-bars are bada$$!

Love my Straight 8. So cool looking and fun to ride. It's my go to bike for weekend get aways.

[Jul 30, 2009]
choclodite

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth and the most comfortable ride that I ever had. Big fatti-o tires that cushion the worst of bumpy roads. The reclined ride with smooth 3 speeds.

Probably the coaster brakes -- they squeak a bit too much. May need to be greased or broke in more.

A super, comfortable ride. I had an Electra Cruiser 3i and it was nice, but after I saw the straight 8, I had to have one - and after I rode it, I immediately wanted to buy it. It's better looking in person than in a photograph. It's a smooth ride and the gearing is wonderful. I have been riding it every night and it works out muscles I thought I never had because of it's reclined, recumbent style.

[May 14, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Build quality, style, and comfort. The motorcycle style forks are great and are not offered on the new '07 Straight 8. (Electra has gone to regular front fork and will sell you the chrome front end for about $150 extra!) Try to find an earlier model if you can.

While the Nexus hub is easy to operate, there is some slop to it that would not adjust out. (After coasting, when you resume pedaling, the crank sort of "freewheels" for a bit before grabbing.) This bothered me some at first, but I've since tuned it out.

Keep in mind that this is a cruiser. You will be disappointed if you expect it to climb hills well.

As for price: The cost didn't phase me too much because after seeing the bike, I just had to have it. After owning it for a while, I have never even thought about the cost. (I'm only mentioning it under "weaknesses" because the others have.) The good things in life cost money, and if you like cool bikes, this Electra is definately one of the good things in life! Just buy it! You won't be sorry.

This is by far the coolest bike I have ever owned! (I currently own four) I have described my Electra Straight 8 as a piece of rolling art, and as a bike that you cannot ride without smiling. The finish on the bike is outstanding! Great lines, deep black shiny paint, beautiful red spokes, cool fat tires, perfect handlebars, etc, etc, etc. It is funky, without being tacky. Just right... and almost everyone you meet will tell you so. (Even hard-core guys - One guy was walking his $8000 carbon road bike into the shop, took one look, and said "Cool bike Man!") I still find myself staring at it in the garage, even after owning it for over a year. I LOVE this cruiser!!!

The comfortable seat and the Fatty-O tires eliminate the need for any kind of suspension and makes cruising easy. I have ridden the "8" on an 8-10 mile "pub crawl" and felt great. (Maybe it was the beer!) Even when riding with guys on custom cruisers and chopper bikes, the "8" always seems to draw the most compliments. Simply awesome...

Because I love this bike so much, and have discovered that cruising is so much fun, I'm about to part with another $600 and buy an Electra Boney Finger, which is basically a Straight 8 in different colors. (I'm going to put WHITEWALL Fatto-O's on that one!)

[May 14, 2007]
Steve

[Nov 14, 2006]
jd63

OVERALL
Strength:

The "chopper cool" look,"headturner" factor:the reactions you get,upright riding position: no fatigue whatsoever,surprisingly fast on level ground for a 3-speed,smooth as silk ride,internal gearing is flawless,not "busy":one small cable and nothing else but a sharp looking bike.

None so far.If you run into a hill by mistake you may have to walk it. A 7 or 8 speed internal would be nice and i thought about it, but it would cost maybe $300 or $400 to do it.

Saw an add for this bike in a magazine about a year and a half ago while taking my kids to the dentist.First thought: coolest bike iv'e ever seen, 2nd:gotta have one,3rd:$600 bucks! No way! Luckily though after a few months of looking i found one for sale close by on craislist for $400 that was only a few months old.Came with 2 exrta tubes which was good because i got a flat pretty quick and from what reviews iv'e read, the stock Electra tubes aren't that good.So i changed them both and slimed them. No problems since. I LOVE THIS BIKE! Rides great,super comfortable, could ride all day with no aches,pains, stiffness(i'm 43), compliments galore from young & old,"cool bike" being the most common. Ride it as often as i can, which isn't nearly enough.Highly recommend it to anyone who's never owned a bike with an upright riding position.Soooooo much nicer than leaning over. I was never into the "Tour De France" bikes or riding, still love to mountain bike...on DIRT, not pavement.Never owned or really saw to many "cruisers". Still don't,surprisingly. I'm looking to get a couple more different Electras so i'm check craigslist everyday.

10 year old Trek Calypso cruiser (which is also a nice bike) that my wife now rides.

[Aug 05, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

There are many reasons to buy this bike. Here are a few:

extremely cool and stylish; 1950s hot rod looking paint job really sets the bike apart - comfort x2, - extremely low maintenance; few extra "gadgets" (levers, cables, brake assemblies, shifters, derailers, sprockets, etc, etc) that need constant adjustments and ruin the retro look of a bike - lighter than it looks thanks to it's alloy frame - fat tires make for a smooooth ride and superior traction; they feel better "planted" - low and wide seat makes for flat-footed stops and eliminates atomic wedgies - custom look without the usual handling problems associated with most customs - those snooty neighbors will suddenly want to talk to you

I have also noticed some advantages with the design that eliminate several small but terribly annoying traits associated with most other cruisers. For instance; it will roll backwards without the pedal hitting the kickstand; the front wheel doesn't try to fall to one side every time you park it causing the bike to fall over.... Can we have a big YEAH here???!!!

And.... IT'S NOT MADE IN CHINA!!! This alone should be enough reason to consider one while shopping for cruisers.

If you keep in mind that this bike is a cruiser for people who want a cruiser, there are no serious weaknesses besides price. Only in the cruiser market would the Straight 8 be considered expensive. Sticker shock will be eased further by the fact that the Straight 8 should be considered fairly "high-end" amoung it's competition in the somewhat "come-lately" category of mass produced "beach cruisers" with extra low seats and high front ends. If the "premier" European manufacturers ever start to exploit this market, one's self would no longer be able to think of the Straight 8 as pricey.

I am 45 and usually ride with my wife and 2 kids around the neighborhood and local bike paths for excercise and recreation. My Schwinn cruiser had just clapped out after 22 years. Determined this time to find a more comfortable ride, I happened upon a Straight 8 at a local shop.

The bike immediately caught my attention. A few minutes later I was loading it into my pickup without so much as a test ride. I was spellbound by it's tall bars, beefy forks, low fat seat, super fat tires, and jaw-dropping good looks. Buyer's remorse started to set in about half way home. Over $600 with tax!? What was I thinking? A geezer like me can buy a cruiser for $150 almost anywhere... a "Chinese Special".

Remorse turned to joy as soon as I rode it around the block. This thing is as comfortable as it is cool. Try one and you will never go back to those old, tall, cruisers that threaten to take out a kneecap with the handlebar on every up-stroke and ruin your manhood with every dismount. The slightly forward pedal position, low seat height, and taller bars take about 2 minutes to become addictive. Do not confuse this bike with the barely rideable "choppers" and "lowriders" that are flooding the market lately. The Straight 8 is about style AND function.

The fat tires, (besides looking good), completely eliminate the need for suspension on ordinary surfaces and have caused me no noticable gain in friction.

As an added bonus, ordinary people (not the skin and bone racer dudes who zip by with their butts over their heads) look much better on this bike. No one wants to see MY inverted derriere in their face.

High fives, rubbernecking stares, and handshakes at staging areas are also a condition of owning this bike. Do not buy a Straight 8 if you are a recluse. I have met more nice people by riding this bike than from attending little league games, PTA meetings, and company picnics combined. The general public loves it. Those who hate it can't help checking it out anyway. A positive reaction from the folks you pass coupled with all day comfort and superb rideability will mean more incentive to ride and therefore more exercise. I haven't missed a day's ride since purchasing it.

The triple-tree forks have an unexpected benefit; they do not spin 360's every time you put the bike on it's kick stand - stretching cables and causing fall-overs. This means longer life for it's one cable and less scratches over time.

The alloy frame means the bike is not nearly as heavy as it looks. It is not a road racer, but is very manageable. You will be pleasantly surprised the first time you lift one off the ground.

One downside is the fact that everyone you know will want to take it for a spin. My wife, who was totally against the purchase, can't stay off of it. I'm thinking about buying her an Electra Rat Fink so I can get it back.

Don't expect blistering speeds as this is not the bike's intended purpose. However, I find it plenty fast enough to get you where you want to go. Why is everyone in such a hurry these days anyway? Enjoy the scenery. The upright position is just right for taking notice of your surroundings.

The 3-speed Nexus hub "clicks" but you will soon fail to notice it. I would not trade it for a quiet but ugly and troublesome derailer with 38 sprockets. The Nexus works flawlessly and will even shift sitting still while also eliminating ugly cables and hardware by incorporating coaster brakes - the most trouble-free way to stop. Wrestling with greasy chains should also be a thing of the past.

The most serious flaw with the bike is the price. $570 is a lot of money for a cruiser with so few "gadgets". The biggest reason for this is probably the Nexus hub. The Nexus hub is possibly the most money per gear you can spend, but I think it's benefits are worth the extra money. It is the main reason there are so few unsightly gadgets in the first place.

1984 Schwinn Cruiser Supreme