Jamis Taxi Cruiser Bike

We build this bike comfortably tough to stand up to the rigors of the resort world. Which is why Taxi is the number one choice for seaside rental fleets all along the Atlantic coast and Gulf shore. With it’s lightweight aluminum frame, salt-water resistant drivetrain and wheels, thorn proof tubes, and puncture resistant vinyl saddle, Taxi is perfect for the casual rider looking for a low maintenance, throw-it-around single speed.

[Apr 22, 2013]
Maureen

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy ride, solid, comfortable seat.

None yet

I just bought my first bike in years. I live by the beach and wanted a simple, sturdy bike to ride.I bought a used Jamis taxi cruiser. I'm a senior and a large lady. It's solid and the seat is very comfortable! No fancy brakes or gears to worry about, yet still easy to ride.
I love it!

[Sep 09, 2009]
tpkanu

OVERALL
Strength:

aluminum frame
aluminum components
long and sturdy seatpost
cushy seats
well built wheels
smooth ride
I love my kiwi green Taxi
My wife loves her sunset red Taxi

I bought 2 used Taxis from a rental shop that was thinning their inventory at the end of the season. Both bikes had been stored outside for over a year in a seaside/salt/sand environment and were rented out on a daily basis. The only flaws were a few paint scratches and some rust on the chainguard attachment bolt. The shop owner said that these bikes were virtually indestructable and rarely broke down. He said he would buy more next year. These bikes are a blast to ride and are as sturdy as the old timey Schwinns of my youth. Even though these bikes cost more used than a new Walmart cruiser, they are a much better bike. I would agree with a previous reviewer that these bikes are functional looking, and if you want a flashy cruiser - look elsewhere.

[Aug 08, 2009]
Leslie Carrick

OVERALL
Strength:

Large "Cushiony" seat, wide street tires, stylish,

The seat adjuster does not get tight enough. I have to stop every so often to raise it back up and re-tighten it. It is not that big of a deal. The price is a little higher than what you will find at Wal-Mart but its well worth it. This bike should last for 50 years if you take care of it.

I LOVE my Jamis Taxi. It is simple and comfortable. It is the Lexus of bikes. It is a big comfy seat and wide tires. You don't have to mess with any gears, you just pedal and relax. I used to ride bikes, but the seats started hurting my rear end about 3 years ago and it was hard to make myself go ride. But now I am enjoying every minute of it.

[Apr 29, 2008]
glsimmons3

OVERALL
Strength:

aluminum frames
oversize stainless spokes
thorn resistant tubes
very soft comfortable seats
rust resistant chains
aluminum crank (no rust)
comfortable bars (yes even on a beach cruiser)
comfortable long lasting hand grips
very stable comfortable ride (road or sand)

only thing i would change is the seat clamp
should be aluminum or stainless

The Jamis Taxi is the best road / beach cruiser made (period). I own a beach rental shop on the North Carolina coast and we have run atleast 8 different cruiser lines for over 15 years. For the last 2 years we have run the Jamis Taxis and we are dropping all other lines this year. In the 2 years we have run the Taxis we have had fewer problems with flats due to thorn resistant tubes, less rust due to the almost 100% aluminum / stainless construction, fewer wheel adjustments and spoke replacements due to the oversized stainless spokes, and fewer back aches due to the light weight aluminum frames. The Jamis taxi is the only bike I would own or rent in a coastal enviroment. Jamis is simply the best cruiser made today. Thanks Jamis

solar cycle cruiser
sun cycle cruiser
caloi cruiser
and about 6 other styles prior to these

[Jul 24, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, strong, corrosion resistant, puncture resistant, comfortable, easy to adjust.

Functional look.

I love the Jamis Taxi and want one of my own! I own several bikes, including a carbon fiber road bike, but fell in love with the Taxi on a week long vacation at Hilton Head Island. I rented four of these for my family at $27 each for the week. At first, I was disappointed with the utilitarian look of our rental choice. But, on our first trip, I quickly realized that form follows function! Other rentals may have looked snazzier, but upon closer inspection didn't deliver the goods. The light aluminum frames, strong, arrow-straight aluminum rims, three piece aluminum crankset, and easy to adjust, comfortable bars and saddle made our trips a lot of fun. I could tell these bikes had been used and abused, but only showed minor cosmetic damage, probably mostly from the pickup and delivery service. There were NO signs of salt corrosion even on the wheels. The Taxi's appeared to be a few years old, but were, I believe, as much a joy to ride today as when they were new. My son and I tested their limits by taking a tour of the entire island, from mile after mile of beach, to endless bike trails, high-traffic highways and high bridges. With the upright position and tires holding a cushy 40 pounds of air, this was definitely a brisk tour, not a road race. But, these cruisers were more than up to the task, including pavement temperatures well over 100 degrees F, to thorns and occasional broken glass. In the end, it was my limits that were tested! I highly recommend this bike.

I ride a Trek 5200 (carbon fiber road race bike), a KHS Nitrous cruiser, a Schwinn comfort bike, and a 1978 Schwinn Collegiate.