Van Dessel Sports Country Road Bob Disc Brakes Cyclocross Bike

The Country Road Bob

Our most beloved bike. Year after year, we fall for its single-speed charms. And we're not the only ones. Perhaps you heard what the folks at GQ said: "...the most perfect bike we've seen...you will rediscover the pure happiness you felt when you first mastered riding a two wheeler." That line still gets us all choked up. And how do you improve on "perfection"? Well, somehow we did it. A shade lighter and with the curvy style it had years ago, now along with charm, our Country Road Bob is kinda sexy too. Go ahead, swoon.

[Oct 29, 2008]
sscooterguy

OVERALL
Strength:

Surprisingly smooth ride
Carbon Fork
Disc brakes
Simplicity and efficiency
Gearing perfect for commuting, some off road trail riding, mild hills
Eccentric bottom bracket
Styling
Short and shallow handle bar bend is surprisingly perfect

Weight if you are thinking about racing - 21 lbs stock.

2009 model, (differs from earlier models by disc brakes). I just picked up this bike, and I couldn't be happier. Rock solid construction, single speed, gearing is perfect for city riding, light off roading/cyclocross, mild or short hills.
I was worried about a harsh ride (coming from my all carbon Time Edge Racer), but was pleasantly suprised with the plush feel with cyclocross tires. The gearing allows me to accelerate comfortably from stop, cruise easily at 19-20 mph on road, and maintain 22-24 if I really spin. I averaged about 15-17 mph on a light off road cyclocross trail.
The gearing is perfect for me, and without gears and derailleurs, I feels much more efficient.
I got this bike for fall/winter commuting and some off roading. I couldn't be happier. It also comes with all of the grommets/cable guides and rear derailleur hanger in case you want to switch to a geared set up. It has an eccentric bottom bracket for perfect chain tension as a single speed/fixed gear, carbon fork, and disc brakes. Stopping is confident and smooth.