Jamis Coda Elite Hybrid Bike

New for 2006: Knobby tires, for the added versatility of light off-pavement adventuring and light-snow commuting. Still featuring that luscious Reynolds 631 steel frame, and Avid’s BB7 cable actuated disc brakes for serious stopping power and a light touch at the brake levers that extends comfort and control. The Giga-X bottom bracket’s additional stiffness makes itself felt in improved out-of-the-saddle climbing performance, and a little less chainring rub for a quieter ride under full steam.

[Jul 26, 2017]
spero

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable enough, upright position good if you have back problems

Weight; shifting

This bike is not a bargain, like some reviewers claim. First of all, it is a commuter bike, first and foremost. I tried riding it on the road and on shale/prairie path gravel roads and this thing is a pig. I think it weighs almost 30 lbs or at least it feels that way. My Specialized DS bike , aluminum, is lighter. The weight takes its toll on uphill riding or even some light off road riding. The hydro disc brakes work well but the combo with the 32mm tires and heavy rims make for a not so enjoyable ride. Coasting, the bikes wants to come to a stop relatively quickly due to the weight. I think and aluminum version could shave a few pounds off and the component spec, although reliable, is super heavy. The cranks length doesn't seem on par with the size, handlebars are sluggish and uncomfortable (flat) and multiple hand positions difficult to engage. The shifting under load sucks with chain skip and a clicking sound on the bottom bracket after only a dozen rides. It is hard to mount on a rear bike rack due to its weight. I don't know what grade steel is used , but it is not fun to ride. The carbon fork isn't even noticeable. I wish I could sell it. At $1200, it is no bargain. Get yourself a Giant road/hybrid alu bike... much more comfortable and fast.

[Jul 12, 2007]
VHN

OVERALL
Strength:

In its price range for an off-the-shelf bicycle, Jamis is bang on and in my view, is #1 relative to all of its competion. It put its greatest expenditures in the component areas that count most. The transmission of FSA Gossamer MegaExo paired with Shimano's 2nd-from-top MTB derailleur and shifters, the XT with SL-R660, is wonderful. I have only ever used toe clips before, but having now used the Crank Bros. pedals, I'll never go back. Very easy to clip in and out. I wanted (and now have) disk brakes; while all of the competition have gone hydraulic (often with low-end Hayes Sole), Jamis has remained mechanical (Avid BB-5). For my type of riding, mechanical is just what I wanted; no fussing with line-bleeding or risk of brake loss from a cracked line. The bar stem angle is quite adjustable, can achieve a overall custom fit. The ride is very quiet. No regrets about Jamis bucking the aluminum trend and staying with chromoly: the bike is light and strong -- good for my tall and broad frame. And the quality of fit and finish, down to the clear coat paint job, is first rate.

Only complaints: the seat looks great but is not as comfortable as my old leather touring seat, and I'm looking to change the grips to something more ergonomic and comfortable for my hands (considering BBB Ergofix BGH-13, or possibly Ergon). The grips do have give, but I personally find pressure points on the heel of palm that I hadn't encountered with my road bike foam-grips; the broader egonomic grips may alleviate that. Also, and this isn't really a knock, with such a fine bike I've had to invest in the top-line Kryptonite NY Fahgettaboudit U and Chain locks to secure it.

I began researching hybrid bikes about 1-1/2 years before finally making a purchase, choosing models with similar features from a large number of manufacturers, comparing them by price and component-by-component in a spreadsheet, then viewing them in person at local bikes shops. When the 2007 Coda Elite appeared on the Jamis website in Fall 2006, I knew I'd found my bike. While there were a few component changes from the 2006 model (equivalent but slightly more expensive crank, downgrade on pedals and brakes, straight versus curved carbon fork), I liked the colour and overall aesthetics more. While it turned out to be a major chore to actually acquire the bike (23 inch frame), in the end, it was well worth it. When I first saw my bike in the shop, I was immediately struck by how beautiful it looked; the photo on the Jamis website just did not capture that quality. To me, it is a work of art, not just function, and is much better in appearance than any of the competition I had considered. The designers must be commended for adding that elegance, found only in the best of industrial design.

But how does it ride? My first rides were on some hard-packed slightly hilly, slightly winding, dirt trails, and I instantly sensed a feeling of precision and control. Despite having the narrowest tires in my family, unlike the others, I whipped along the trail yet did not ever feel that I was on the edge; it was pure fun! Now, I did buy the bike more for urban rides and commutes, with the occasional country road thrown in for good measure and escape. There too, that feeling of precision comes through. Loaded panniers are hardly noticeable. I shift much more frequently to match the terrain than I used to with my old road bike, simply because it is not the same chore that it was, generally leading to a better ride. In one part of my ride home, there is stretch of steady climb of 1-2 km; this segment seems much easier to cover than previously. (That said, while I haven't ridden much in the hardest gears, I do have the feeling that under some road/speed conditions, the road bike was better suited).

Others Considered In Comparison (but not actually used):
Brodie Infinity, Devinci Melbourne & Copenhagen, Kona Dr Dew, Specialized Serius Sport Disk & Pro, Trek 7.3 & 7.5 FX Disk, Giant Cypress SX & CRZ Zero, Marin Point Reyes, Rocky Mountain RC-70, Eclipse EC AN6 Extra-Lite Sport, Cannodale Bad Boy & Ultra

[Jun 03, 2007]
travelingmike

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride, value, the bike absorbs the rough roads well. My 20 mile commute is a pleasure and I look forward to it.

The chrom-olly pedals(crank brothers)broke easily(I have had to remember this bike has a much lower bottom bracket then my road or mtbs). This bike came with pedals so not much of a weakness.

I only have 1,000 miles on this bike. I rode my santa cruz mtb to work for 2 years previously with a backpack and didnt think I needed another bike(my wife is thinking 5 bikes is enough in our 2 bedroom aprtment). I wanted to keep my mtb rigged for agressive trail riding. I did alot of testing, reading reviews,etc. I really enjoy this bike, it is so comfortable and fun to ride to work. I have a topeak disk brake rack with the slide on bag, I felt like I was forgetting something the first few trips to work. This was also the only choice with disk brakes, which not needed, but something I wanted. It is also very adjustable(stem). Pete at sports basement was great in getting me set-up. They had the best price, and also run a coupon in the Competitor magazine which brought it down another 10 percent. Nothing comes close to this bike at any price that is available pre-built. I have 2 young children and I use the commute to get me some ride time.

Multiple test rides of various brands.

[Dec 22, 2006]
chavela

OVERALL
Strength:

Better overall value than comparable Specialized, Trek models.

Wheel rims not durable enough for standard road use.

A wonderful bike EXCEPT the wheels are underspec'd: after 3000 miles, the rear wheel failed. I am not heavy, don't jump curbs, use the bike as it was advertised and intended. I think they sacrificed a little too much durability to get the weight down.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.