Kona Dew Hybrid Bike

Tires: 700 x 32c WTB All Terrainasaurus

[Aug 23, 2019]
Dean19

OVERALL
Strength:

I love this bike! Mine is a 2010 or 11 Kona Dew FS. Above average components for the price, the bike operates quietly and smooth. The hydraulic disk brakes are quite good and it handles very well. It seem to be faster than other hybrids I have owned. I use the bike mainly for exercise on a paved path that runs through town, I typically ride about 750-1000 miles a year and it’s very comfortable.

The only thing I have noticed is the crank seems different than previous bikes. The pedal seems lower and I need to be careful when going into a corner. I have another bike that I use for mountain bike trails and off road riding, so the Dew is fine for how I am using it.

?
Used
2011
[Jul 20, 2019]
Hedonist Jones

OVERALL
Strength:

Great commuter. Solid ride. Has mounts for rack front or back. Comfortable riding position. I take it to work couple of times a week 25 miles round trip with mixed terrain of road and bike trails. It. Does great.

Noisy in high gears from the rear derailleur. Changed out the seat and seat post to soften the ride.

Used
2011
[Apr 05, 2018]
Seattle_commuter

OVERALL
Strength:

I love this bike. I use it to commute to work every day (15 miles round trip). Part of my commute is on a dedicated bike trail but I also ride on gravel through a nature reserve, and on city streets. It handles beautifully on the gravel. It is light enough for me to put it on a bus bike rack. I have done minimal maintenance on it (changed brake pads and tires) and take it in once a year to my local bike shop for a tune-up. The ride is comfortable. It's not flashy so I don't worry much about getting it stolen. A big plus for me is that Kona is a local company (I live in Seattle).

Can't think of any.

$500
New
2016
[Jun 26, 2013]
Adrian O'Sullivan

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame looks sturdy enough although that has yet to be tested

So many. But in general its like riding a penny farthing. This bike has no feel, and with the standard brakes fitted by Evans, its potentially dangerous. Turning the bike at an angle also brings about the risk of grounding the pedals even though the bike has quite a high ground clearance.

No, no. no. I've been riding bikes for over 40 years and I've never has such a duffer as this. It has all the disadvantages of a short bike but none of its advantages. It squirrels badly under braking, with no feel until bang - you're locked. The pedals regularly ground even though the clearance is great. And its quite heavy too. My last bike - a Claud Butler Urban affair at 1/2 the price was better in every aspect. When this bike gets nicked (c'mon thieves, do your stuff) as it will in London, I will celebrate. I've half a mind to leave it unlocked although I'd exepct to see the wretched thig dumped by the side of the road but 200 yards away if the rotter knows his stuff.

[Aug 23, 2010]
Ptolemy Garfunkel

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent geometry, incredibly responsive, light, amazing frame, great fork, best components at this price point by a mile. The Altus shifters are great. I see people complain about the dérailleurs but that's a load of hogwash. Any set of dérailleurs will feel clunky if you don't use them right, ease off on the pedals while shifting, that kind of thing.

Incredibly responsive. Twitchy, even. Be careful if you're transitioning from a cheap mountain bike or similar clunker. It is not forgiving with antics at higher speeds. It doesn't look amazing but really, who cares. The rear dérailleur can feel a tad clunky in the two smallest chain rings. The tires aren't the greatest. I'm really having difficulty finding issues with this bike. I would, however, caution that it is especially important that you make sure to fit this bike decently. Swap the tires out, preferably for something slicker. The gear ratios don't work very well for loaded touring I have found; but the bike wasn't designed for loaded touring.

I ride a 2010 Kona Dew. Kona really hit the sweet spot in terms of weight and durability with the Dew. The bike is as light as is useful in every non racing application. It is also very, very durable. Let me give you some context. I weigh 260 pounds. I ride/ tour over 40km a day. About 6 out of these 40 km comprise severely damaged/ potholed/ dirt roads. A week ago, having put about 300 km on it without a single tune up, I managed to wipe out at a little under 40kmph, by my cyclo-computer. The front wheel turned sharply into the bike, acting as a brake, lunging me forward before the bike tumbled twice and skid for a good 100 meters. The fork, frame, every part of the bike was unscathed. The only thing that happened to it from this incredible abuse was that the front rim went a touch out of true. This is a great bike. I did a lot of research before getting this, and I have not had a single regret. The Dew has made me love bicycling. First decent bike or beater winter commuter, it does not get any better than this at 479 Canadian.

I researched my options for three months prior to my purchase. Having decided on a road frame geometry/ road wheel set based hybrid. I finally had to decide between a Trek FX 7.2, a Dew, and a Specialized Globe Vienna. The Trek looks amazing but offers a boring and conventional ride. Good bike but the components on the Dew are a lot better. Not as fun a ride. The Vienna is an amazing ride, almost as fun to ride as the Dew and even more responsive (although that may have to do with the slicker tires on it). It's a GREAT ride, but it didn't feel as durable as the Dew. The Dew really is the absolute best value.

[Apr 24, 2010]
diwddng

OVERALL
Strength:

-- Not too heavy
-- Extremely comfortable seat
-- Attractive appearance (mine is blue)
-- Low price
-- Generally kicks ass

-- Paint chips easily

This bike has been my commuter ever since I moved to Montreal. As a commuter bike, it is pretty much ideal. You sit fairly upright and get a good view of traffic. At the same time, the bike isn't heavy--it zips along nicely.

This machine has taken an incredible beating over the past three years,having been ridden constantly, left outdoors, and driven in rainstorms and snowstorms. Despite all that, it's still rolling pretty well (albeit with some maintenance--a replacement rear derailleur, new chain, new cassette, new wheel).

Specialized Crossroads (the Kona is vastly superior)

[Mar 22, 2010]
davem

OVERALL
Strength:

easy to use, shifts well for the cheaper derailleurs that come with the bike.

Paint chips in a stiff wind.

great bike. works well for commuting or just for fun.

[Aug 08, 2009]
Dino Cruz

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive, solid and easy to ride geometry

A bit heavy (what do you expect it's a hybrid).

Great bike. Fat tires to dull the bumps on the road, but not too fat that you can't go fast when needed. Started to get into biking w/ the Dew and I have loved every minute of it. Have not changed a single thing except for the pedals, which I have changed to a dual flat pedal and mountain bike clips. I don't ever expect to sell my Kona Dew even when I do eventually buy some fancy Carbon Fibre or Titanium road bike. Planning to convert it to a fixie to do some urban night riding.

none so far

[Feb 25, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap and cheerful. Great bike to start urban/road riding on

Paint chips easily

My bike is actually a 2008 model in turquoise colour and was £299. On the road, this bike will easily better any mountain bike on nobblies, incredibly lightweight and takes in bumps well. I Would highly recommend this bike to any commuters, beginners or urban riders as i got into the city biking with this bike. There are a fair bit of hill climbs on my commute and the bike deals with them superbly, I can easily keep up (and pass) most road bikes on my 5 mile commute which is a credit to the efficiency and smoothness of the bike. I have ridden similar priced hybrids and even the dew deluxe but i found myself most comfortable physically and economically with the dew.

As mentioned before by others before, the only negative i found was how easily the paintwork got chipped.

Dew deluxe, GT Zum, Specialized globe

[Dec 19, 2008]
The Landotter

OVERALL
Strength:

Great classic angles as I mentioned--this is not a trendy bike--it's got classic angles and ya can upgrade the components as they wear out.

The paint chips, reinforce locking areas with tape.

Great basic bike. You don't need the Kona Plus, or any other Dew--Save your bacon for upgrades. Vee brakes stop great!--disc brakes attract thieves ya suckas.

Great classic angles. I can slap on my spd pedals and put on my leotards and ride the damn thing on a century cheap as it is, or I can fetch bacon with it. That's because it has the basics correct--a frame with proper angles, and a fork done right. This may be a cheap bike--but the frame can always be upgraded. It rides like something more expensive--certainly not like a grampy hybrid. Kona--you got it right with this one--the Dew is a smash of a frame--love all the groovey braze ons--go one more--lets get nassssty--put a kickstand plate on! Come on!

Rides great--shifts perfect...woo woo, Kona! found the mix of cheap parts that work well. Mine's seen thousands of miles. Still shifts great!

Recommended upgrades as crap wears out:

Throw a Deore rear derailler on there guys, it's around $20 if ya shop around.

Replace the tires in spring with something less heavy-save a kilo.

If you totally hose yer rims--Alex DM18s are a direct replacement, just tape them to the wheel, and replace spoke by spoke--$18. ;-)

The hubs are cheap--check the adjustment, dial it in, add grease, and they will last forever on the road..

Handlebars are steel and heavy junk. Replace with Nashbar Trekking bars or something lighter and you totally improve the bike

countless