Marin Mountain Bikes Highway One Hybrid Bike

Frame Material: 7000 aluminum, double-butted
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: 13.5", 15.5", 17.5", 19", 20.5"
Colors: Gloss Pearl White
Tires: 700 x 28c Hutchinson Excel

[Nov 07, 2006]
marin man

OVERALL
Strength:

very comfortable, and as fast as any road bike, except slightly wider grip, (handle bars) may increase wind resistance. but better brakes, and I think safer, easier shifters.

only the aluminium frame, have had minor problems with brake pads squealing, but solved with koolstops and sanding the rim.

I love my Highway one, it has all the goodies of a road bike,just as fast with ultegra and 105, but, bigger, better brakes, safer handle bars, rapid shifters, and an upright position. I never would use the drops, as I am 50 and have a sore back from too many heavy squats when I was younger. But my Frame just snapped just below the headset (metal fatigue) in the aluminium? So it makes me look at it in a new light?

used mountain bikes before, and this bike is fast as other road bikes with similar specs.

[May 31, 2006]
Blademun

OVERALL
Strength:

-Good Ride quality, stable and -Lightweight, fairly stiff frame and fork.
-beautifull wheels that stay true.
-Avid V-brakes, 105/Ultegra Drivetrain.
-Beautifull Pearlescent paintjob

-Paint chips easily, and is easily smudged.
-It's Flashy: you have nightmares about people stealing it.
-15.5" frame doesn't come with Carbon Stays
-A tad flexy compared to my old Chromoly bike..

Marin bikes are great bikes, they make some of the best Alu frames out there, definately some of the lightest, at least amongst the 'mass producers' like Specalized, KHS, Giant, Trek ect. I hate to see how little attention Marin seems to get in the bicycle world. I got this bike on Ebay, and to be fair it already had some scratches and such. It also didn't come entirely stock: it didn't come with its Carbon seatpost, it was running cyclocross tires and had plastic pedals on it. Lastly, being short has its price: the 15.5" model does not come with Carbon Stays. ;_; I didn't notice that stipulation when buying..

Oh well, for 600$ I got a bike thats twice as much as any other flatbar in the area for the same price. After a series of upgrades costing less then 200$ I turned this bike into a beast thats many times better then any 800$ hybrid in the area.

In the last 3 weeks I've put on over 300 miles, and it has not given me any trouble. I had serious doubts about the R540 wheels but after many miles riding on terrible Pasco county roads..I am convinced in their strength. It has a nice ride quality to it; even better then my all chromoly mtb with slicks. That is without the carbon stays, mind you. It is also very light at 22lbs and thats including my heavy Mallet C pedals.

The quality, price and build quality are all top notch. It may be a tad flexy at the BB, but its not noticeable. Its a shame mine didn't come with Carbon stays or I would've gotten a -really- good deal.

Marin Novato - My very first good bike.