Marin Mountain Bikes San Rafael Hybrid Bike

Frame Material: 7000 aluminum
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: 13.5", 15.5", 17.5", 19", 20.5", womens 15", womens 17"
Colors: Brushed
Tires: 700 x 35c City tread

[May 22, 2018]
cgrainger

OVERALL
Strength:

It features a lifetime warranty on the frame, but this is because it is the only part that doesn't break constantly.

Like most, I have owed several bikes in my life and have never had so many problems with a bike. I use this Marin for commuting to work twice a week and the odd ride on a paved and gravel trail. Within a year, the rear tire started going flat. I took it in and was told a spoke was broken. This was one week after a tune-up. Less than six months later, I had another rear flat and had to change the tire in the field. I stopped at the bike shop to get a spare tube and ended up buying a new tire as the original had already worn down. Two das later, I stopped into the bike shop on a whim to get a couple minor adjustments and was told a rear spoke was broken... again! I've never had a spoke brake on a bike, and now twice on the same bike. They talked me into getting a new wheel for the rear which I did. So now, less than 2 years in, I have had to replace the rear wheel and tire on my brand new bike. As I rode away from the store, all of sudden my gear cable brakes. I have to ride back with no rear gear shifting. This is also a first out of all the bikes I've ever owned. The shop owner blamed it on my handlebar bag, which I have since removed. I can no longer go for a ride without the anxiety of wondering what will brake next on this cheap POS. Bikes are supposed to be robust and take a beating no matter the price range. The shop owner also accused me of "riding heavy." Well, if you call going down the odd curb "riding heavy," then yeah, I guess so. But I used to do jumps with my old Raleigh as a kid and never had anything brake. Anyway, I am now divided between trying to sell this melon or slowly upgrading it over time and maybe getting to a reliable point. Next time I will buy a Giant or something.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2016
[Feb 02, 2018]
sandymoonstone

OVERALL
Strength:

😊 🚲 23 years old and durable. 😊 🚲 Well balanced . I ride most of the time without holding the handle grips. 😊 🚲 The wheels come off easily for storage in back of my Jeep.

😊 🚲 No negatives .

1995
[Apr 12, 2008]
dallasdaz

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight. This is not a mountain bike. Does great on hills. Good shifters, derailers and wheels.

Didn't like the seat (cruiser type).
Pedals are cheap and below quality of the rest of the bike.

Great return to riding. I rode a lot when I was younger. I'm trying to build up to competition level and this bike was a great tool for early conditioning. Tires, wheels, frame and forks have been terrific. I had to replace the pedals after 300 miles. They were sub-par to begin with but actually developed a lot of drag. The cassetts are alright and the derailer has required quite a bit of adjustment. I've put about 2K miles on it and it is just starting to show signs of wear. Still a great bike. REI has been great with some early issues and even replace a part that was slightly deffective.

NONE

[Jun 08, 2007]
Roy

OVERALL
Strength:

Lockout option on suspension on front forks.

don't know

I saw the above review, and wanted to point out that the front forks have a lockout option. They can be locked into position if you don't want the cushion. Maybe the forks were locked. The front suspension had plenty of cushion on the bike I tried. In fact, I thought that it was going to take some getting use to. I currently have an old 10speed with standard forks, and am use to the jarring of the road. I want something where I don't have to lean over so much, but can still ride on some lengthy rides when I work up to it. It was very comfortable to ride. Really, I thought that this was a great bike. The only reason I didn't buy it was that I didn't want to buy the first thing that I tried. I'll probably go back tomorrow and get it after doing a little reading tonight. maybe I'll stop somewhere else just to make myself feel better that I've shopped around. I would add that the people at Campus Cyclery in Cincinnati were great to work with. A no pressure, great service, type of place.

[Jul 12, 2004]
roster19

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light bike, smooth shifting

The suspension fork might aswell be solid cause your average Joe won't get it to budge.

I tested this bike at my local shop to discover that the suspension on the fork was extremely stiff. Seriously it took a big buff mechanic to get it to budge. The mechanic also says the fork was working perfectly when he built it. He refused to get me a new fork so I didn't waste any money on the bike. On the plus side the frame was racing light!and the gears shifted very smoothly.

Trek recreational hybrid 7200