Marin Mountain Bikes Sausalito Hybrid Bike

Frame Material: 7000 aluminum, double-butted
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: 13.5", 15.5", 17.5", 19", 20.5"
Colors: Brushed
Headset: 1 1/8" threaded sealed mechanism
Front Der: Shimano Nexave T400
Crankset: Shimano Nexave, 28/38/48 teeth
Rear Der: Shimano Nexave T400
Pedals: resin body, aluminum cage
Tires: 700 x 32c WTB All Terrainasaurus

[Jun 30, 2019]
Muircheartach

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent build quality and fairly light for a mountain bike. I love the aluminum tubing and the weld quality is the best. Strong too, for jumps and hops over large logs/boulders.

The spokes that came as standard equipment kept breaking and there was only one bike shop - 12 miles away - that carried them. I had to completely change-out all front and rear spokes to larger SS that now last and can handle a fair amount of abuse.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2003
[Dec 03, 2016]
Antoine Jacob

OVERALL
Strength:

Bomb-proof frame.

Rubbish fork.

I bought my Sausalito in 2000. Since then I've ridden it to work pretty much every day, easily racking up 30,000 miles. I've killed pretty much all of the components apart from the handlebars and the shifters and rebuilt it completely three times. The current set-up has;

Rock Shox Paragon Gold 60mm trekking fork. Air-sprung, super light plush ride.
Shimano SLX hydraulic disc barke on the front
Magura HS7 hydraulic rim brake on the back
Shimano Deore groupset
Schwalbe Land Cruiser 700c x 40 tyres

It's basically an off-road touring bike now. Taken it right across Scotland twice carrying a weeks rations and camping kit and the frame just soaks up any punishment I can throw at it. If you can get one of the Ovation alloy frames then you have the basis to build a great trail bike or commuter.

[Jan 13, 2015]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable, good spread of gears, versatile, rugged, fast?

Cannot find an excuse to upgrade to a newer bike

I bought my Sausilito used in 2007 and have since enjoyed several long distance rides (at times fully laden with camping gear and lots more) in all sorts of conditions. It coped with the mountains/hills in North Wales and typically wet and slippery Welsh weather in a 4 day trip from North to South. A fortnights ride through Portugal to Spain in a wide range of conditions including much off road (even sandy tracks and beaches) was trouble free and I feel confident that I can go anywhere at any time on it. When stripped of panniers and baggage it is a brisk commuting bike that eats up the miles with ease.
I do not consider myself to be an experienced cyclist and I can go many months between riding (or years) yet whenever I dust it off I enjoy the performance and comfort that I have yet to experience on any other bicycle. After a few days back in the saddle it is impressive how readily I can take on the steepest incline- more to the excellent gear ratios etc than my ageing body I suspect.
What's more, Boris Johnson once had one- what more can I say ...

[Jul 02, 2012]
Phillip Beveridge

OVERALL
Strength:

There’s a gear for every terrain. Great gear range. Ergonomics of the frame for great ridding positions. Not too High or too Low. Nicely welded frame. The bike is responsive to turning or dodging. V brakes with aluminum alloy rims great for stopping.

Maybe the aluminum derailleur hanger. Other than that, None. I can only say this after fourteen years of ridding the same Marin Sausalito.

My Sausalito is a 1998. I’ve had this Marin Sausalito bike for fourteen years. It’s been everywhere with me, In the rain, Camping, Touring, local bike rides, even used it as a hard core mountain bike for couple of seasons. The RS shocks are still good today. Frame still good? You bet.
As of 2011 I have taken off the RS shocks and replaced it with a chrome finish standard road bike fork, only to take out the bounce for having loaded panniers on the bike. I have replaced the cogs and chain because the bike has well over 2,000 miles on it. The rest of the components are working just fine. I still get complements on the bike.
The bike is dependable. Not a disposable bike. Upgradable bike.
The components on the newer bike's have more than likely changed since.
I would suggest a Marin to beginners to advanced. For those seeking a worry-freed fun and adventure.

Specialized Allez

[May 29, 2009]
rondi

OVERALL
Strength:

everything--nice tires, the gearing and shifters are perfect. It's the best bike i have ridden. And it hasn't even been tuned up yet.

me--i'm 69 yo and need to loose 20 lbs. none on the bike though.

I bot this in April 2009, but it was a 2008 closeout at REI Outlet. This is a REALLY nicely equipped bike. I looked at the Treks, Cannondales, etc and nothing compares to this. The only things it lacked was a kickstand $7, lever tighting seat post lock (REI traded), "shorty" bar ends ($9)and a rear rack ($28). It rides nicely upright, but not like my previous Trek Navagator which was HEAVY and you sat like you were in a chair.

I'm 6' and this a 20.5" frame and it is a great fit for me.

2007 Trek Navigator 200, 1998 REI Navarro MTB which i still use

[Apr 21, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Definitely it's massive gear range which has been worked out to perfection for the tourer, strong, looks great, comfortable, flawless and intuitive gear changes, excellent V-brakes, versatile, tough as nails. Beyond the normal adjustments nothing has falterd with ths bike. And it's a MARIN!

Not light, but it's not meant to be a racer. RST suspension fork that came with bike cannot be adjusted and is heavy. I'm looking at replacing it with lightweight non-suspension fork and using a Pantour Hub suspension system instead, which would work as well as the existing fork plus would be lighter. As stated before, Marin may have changed the fork that comes standard - I dunno. Live in constant fear that some kid or drug addict will steal it and break my heart.

I have had this bike for over 6 years - disregard the year model staed above. Some of the specs have changed since I bought it - suspension seat post for example. I was in love with this bike when I first bought it and the feeling has endured. It's the perfect road tourer. Has never let me down. Have used it off-road on trails and it always passed the test, subject to the limitations of what type of tire I was using at the time. I commute, shop, and tour with this bike. I found the speeds I average with it's massive gear range comparable on average with a Bianchi racer I also own. Although I don't need another one, I still would love a second one of these for when a friend drops around and we can go for a bike ride together. If you are thinking about investing in a road tourer, this is the bike. If you not thinking about a road tourer, this is still the bike for you, unless you are going for extremes off the road or want a racer. Most trails are within it's scope, but I have never pushed it in terrains which I knew it was not designed for. Even so, with the right tires I cannot imagine anything but the most extreme presenting too many problems off road. Superb bike - great job MARIN.

Can't say without looking it up, but bikes designed with this much thought for the particular purpose, flexible touring, aren't common.

[Sep 16, 2005]
Mr.K

OVERALL
Strength:

Shimano disc brakes, Nexave shifters, frame geometry is a bit more stretched out than other "comfort" bikes

WTB "comfort"saddle, paint looks great but is thin & wears/chips easily, no eyelets for rear rack or fenders.

I purchased the Marin Sausalito for recreational riding with my wife (she has a Marin Kentfield). I've found it's a great commuter bike - a little on the heavy side but rugged enough for street hazards and light non-paved surfaces.

Tried Trek, Giant, Schwinn hybrids but frame geometry was too upright (felt like Mary Poppins)