Motobecane Elite FS Hybrid Bike

• Stainless Spokes 36fr/36r

[Feb 06, 2020]
TheRider

OVERALL
Strength:

I own this bike since new, for about 5 years now, and ride it almost every day. To work and for fun, bumpy roads and very light trails. Naturally after I bought it new, I had it professionally assembled and completely tuned, you can't evaluate nor enjoy riding a bike if it is not set up perfect (including proper seating position). It is a great bike that performs very well. If you like to know: I had rim tape, thorn resistant tubes and Schwalbe Flatless/low rolling resistance tires installed. Plus SKS clip-on fenders (not the cheap stuff).

No real weaknesses. What I don't like is the exposed shifting/braking cables on top of the frame. Only repair I ever had was replacing the cassette, it started to make a clicking noise.

Price Paid:
2015
[Nov 25, 2014]
Daniel MARTIN

OVERALL
Strength:

A solid, stable ride. Great value, as they can be had online for $250-$300.

Uncomfortable seat requires pad or upgrade, or you tend to internalize it. A tad on the heavy side, but then it's a hybrid.

After I assembled the Elite Sport, I took it to a local bicycle shop for a "tune up." In reading most of the complaints about this bicycle, I tend to think a professional tune up is a good idea for most riders without advanced mechanical skill and knowledge of bicycles. On my bike, everything now works flawlessly. The shifts are smooth, the wheels are true, it tracks fine, and in high gears, it hauls it pretty well for a hybrid. The frame welds look good, and I've taken it on some trails as well as streets. This is not a top of the line bike, but it is an exceptional value and a good ride.

[Sep 10, 2013]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Long-lasting, very low maintainance.

Derailleur assembly is bolted directly into the frame; causes problems for some people if machine-tools aren't applied carefully and the threading becomes stripped (but this has not happened to me).

Picked up this gem at a pawn shop for ~$200, a few years ago. Since then, I've only had to replace ONE flat tire, and it's not given me any other problems. I've ridden it to-and-from school and work on a daily basis, during several different spans of time. Here in Austin, TX, there are LOTS of hills, and this thing handles them with ease. I'm usually the crazy guy speeding through crowded streets and intersections, wrecklessly (literally!). It handles great on concrete, asphalt, and on packed gravel & the occasional detour through the grass.

I'm not an expert on bikes, but I've been through maybe 7 or 8 bikes over the last decade (lots of theft here and I have trouble learning from my mistakes), and this is one of the best I've had.

Love it.

[Sep 05, 2012]
Moderate Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks good and attractive.

Components, design, workmanship, WARRANTY

We bought this bike from bikesdirect.com in November 2011. We have used it sparingly and used it with care - no abuse what-so-ever. It was only used locally (around the neighborhood) for short distances like 6 miles or so - until when the problem occurred.

My son and I went for a club ride last month. He was riding this bike and I was riding my Trek road bike. About 7 miles into the ride, my son started complaining how tiring it is to ride Motobecane. So, I switched my bike with him. Then he was riding happily and I was struggling to keep up. 18 miles into the ride, we were negotiating an uphill and while shifting gears, I heard and felt some mechanical failure. I got down immediately and looked, to my surprise, the entire derailer assembly had broken and come apart. Since the bike has become dysfunctional, we took the SAG support and on the way back home, I left the bike for repair at my favorite bike store.

According to the mechanic, the derailer assembly is directly fastened to the frame through a threaded hole and the threads on that hole have become stripped. He suggested that I scrap the bike because replacing the frame is not worth it.

Bikesdirect.com took a couple of sentances from my email and explained EXACTLY what happened - very close to what the mechanic had diagnosed. Makes me think that this problem is common with this bike. They washed off their hands saying they won't do anything.

Motobecane site has a nice warranty page that describes exactly what needs to be done to claim the warranty. I scanned the mechanic's diagnosys, took a few photos of the damage, and submitted to theiry warranty email address. They took a few days to answer, but washed their hands off saying (1) thread stripping on the frame is not covered by warranty and (2) derailer breaking is covered under parts warranty and I should go to Shimano. Shimano Web site clearly says that all components that are part of a bike which is 1 year or less should be handled by the dealer / manufacturer. I am yet to hear from Motobecane for my reply.

I do understand that products fail sometimes and I can tolerate that. I just can not accept it when a seller and manufacturer don't stand behind their product.

If Motobecane resolves the issue, I will come back and update this review. If you don't see an update, that means they didn't care and I just gave up.

[May 10, 2012]
michael galvan

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to handle for the casual rider. Speeds great and shifts easy. Rugged build.

Chain adjust sometimes males you think it going out but it self corrects.

I would own another if I could afford it !!

[May 11, 2011]
H. M. Truslow

OVERALL
Strength:

Good value for price and handles well.

A little heavy, but good for exercise.

I used to race and tour long distance (many years ago). Needed to get back in shape and didn't care to ride a dropped bar road bike any longer. For the money, this is a very comfortable bike with decent components, nice handling and not too too heavy.

n/a

[Aug 14, 2010]
Seattle Bob

OVERALL
Strength:

Shimano gear shifters work nicely.

Crinding while pedaling
Wheels way out of true
Obviously inferior metal parts
Very heavy

I ordered the Motobecane FS Elite hybrid bike from Bikes Direct thinking it would be equivalent to a Trek hybrid. No such luck. This bike feels cheap. When I pedal the crank grinds. The nuts and bolts felt so cheap and crappy I was afraid I was going to strip them just putting the bike together and adjusting it. While it may have Shimano gear shifters, the pedals, handlebars, and wheels are made out of inferior materials. The wheels are out of true. The frame is very heavy. You get what you pay for. if you are looking for a quality bike, this is not it. Don't believe the marketing that this is similar to a $600 bike. It feels like a Walmart bike.

Trek 7300

[Feb 20, 2010]
jackmeltzer

OVERALL
Strength:

Good ride, comfortable, excellent shifting, good braking, and nice color (woman's version, light blue)

At this price level, none.

Attractive, well built, nice ride, smooth shifting, good handling. Had to true wheels and adjust brakes when purchased but it was an easy task. Took a few hours to get everything just right which is typical for any bike. Added inexpensive pedal clips, a basket, and a bottle frame. Great bike for casual riding and short commuting. No disappointments. Strongly recommend this bike for casual and recreational riders.