Raleigh USA Sojourn Hybrid Bike

[May 13, 2009]
Jon Hazen

OVERALL
Strength:

Good gearing/tire choices
Comfortable geometry (steel!)
Nice extras (seat, rack, fenders, etc.)

It's a heavy bike. That being said, I think that was sort of a "given" when you're talking about touring oriented bikes.

I've had my '08 Sojourn for a few months now and the more I ride, the more I love it. The gearing suits my purposes well-- I do a good bit of riding in the mountains on the weekends-- and it's a comfortable and forgiving commuter. The wider tires are a plus: I occassionally ride on gravel country roads and this suits me much better than a standard road bike would.

All in all, no complaints, and nothing but praise-- the extras on the bike (tape, seat, rack) save a little money for other upgrades (computer, lights, touring gear) and make this ride a very attractive package.

My old rides were both Trek Hybrids.
I occasionally ride a buddy's Giant Carbon/Aluminum for races; I would much rather ride my Sojourn for any other application, though. It's far more comfortable.

[Aug 09, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid and comes with everything you need to commute in all types of weather.

Although the brooks bar tape looks good it has no padding and I am changing that to a much more padded tape.

I bought this bike in order to commute in the NC mountains where the terrain is quite hilly. The bike is heavy but has an extemely solid and steady feel. It is quite pleasant to ride even compared to my much lighter road bike which I use only for club rides. The wide tires and fenders make this a safe bike in the rain and the rear rack is very solid and supports the panniers of your choice. The brooks saddle is quite comfortable and after getting used to the bar end shifters I like them. Overall this bike is great for commuting and I think it would also work wonderfully for touring which is what it was designed for. Since it is heavy and well equipped it is not a bike built for speed, but with commuting I try not to get too worked up. The ride is extremely quiet and plush. The disc brakes work very well and make you feel secure in wet weather.

my road bike is a Lemond Zurich