Specialized Sirrus Comp Hybrid Bike

Tires: 700 x 28c Specialized All Conditions Spo

[Aug 12, 2018]
DeaD2Rights

OVERALL
Strength:

I love this bike. Its my beginner.

Im too new to tell. If i had an opportunity to complain. Id have to say the 20 gears are nice but i just dont feel i can get the top end as much as i want. Maybe a new cog or cassette will help but 20th still gets me past up. I already want more.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2014
[Apr 09, 2013]
Derk Diggler

OVERALL
Strength:

2013 Sirrus, it's Made by Specialized. Looks great in all black. Strong frame, eyelets for racks. Rides smooth, free bar end integration.

Pedals, it's 23.6 pounds totally stock out the door. Too heavy. Wanted the the Carbon edition but NO EYELETS for rack attachments. WTF?? All components are shelf Specialized except for drive train. Seat heavy, pedals heavy, Skewers heavy, seat post heavy, So you see a trend here? Granny gears, can you say enough granny gears to supply an entire nursing home that accepts medicare?

It's specialized. Life is funny, I started out with a specialized for road racing, as I progressed I purchased lighter and more expensive bikes. Guess what, Ive stopped racing, sold them all off, and here I am buying something comparable to a mini van to a middle aged guy, a hybrid...yuck! But, here it is, all 23.4 pounds of it including specialized cage pedals. Due to years of an aero profile on a road/triathlon bike, my neck just isnt the same anymore. Doctor says stop running immediately and buy a more upright bike. I said now way. He says I should swim only. So, I opened the wallet and here it is. Everything about this bike is heavy and made by specialized. Love the frame, but the seat, seatpost, rims, fork, head set, handle bars need to go. Dont get me wrong, they are very sturdy, Im just used to sub 18 pound bikes tricked out with everything including a frame pump. The bike is certainly a solid performer and my neck and riding position are much comfortable. I rode the trek 7.5-7.9, same issue, get to carbon, no eyelets....and their associated with a chronic cheat!. Tried the Cannondale SL1, the position is WAAAYYY too upright. Bike shifts crisp, not a fan of thumb shifters but what you gonna do. Put a rack on it, lights, paniers ect to commute to work. I guess now days weight is not an issue. Threw my old speed play pedals with SIDI carbon road shoes for road bike reminissance. I could go on, but solid bike, a bit heavy, but I will eventually buy a carbon seat post, upgrade the saddle, toss the rims when they wont hod true anymore. Picked it up for less than 1g.

Trek 7.5, Canondale quick SL1, Cannondale Bad Boy 1 (WAAAY to heavy).

[Dec 01, 2012]
Phill

OVERALL
Strength:

Super cool looks on the 2013 model in white with thick black rims. It's a robust frame and a solid no-nonsense fork which can be loaded up with luggage for touring. Great urban commuter which responds well to acceleration and power when out of the saddle. Disc brakes a re phenomenal. I've never ridden with them before, but despite the extra weight they are ideal especially if you're going to load up with luggage as I intend to do. Rear fittings allow for the addition of a rack and mudguard if needed. I'm told that many hybrids only offer the option for fitting a rack or a mudguard. Here, you don't have to choose.

There is no carbon in this bike frame - or forks - so it's heavy-ish! I'm guessing that the disc brake set-up adds to the weight. I have also added an alloy rack to mine as it will be going out on tour during the Aussie summer. The standard rear cassette is 25 -11 which is fine around town, but the lack of a third chain ring on the front means this baby can't climb hills so well especially if fully loaded. The option I took was to change the rear cassette to a 36 - 12 (dinner plate size) and the rear dérailleur to a Shimano Deore touring set-up. Now it can climb hills, but gear changes are not so nuanced. Once I come back from touring I may decide to switch the gearing back to the original set up. Pedals - I've upgraded to Shimano Deore XT single-sided SPDs. I'm used to riding a single sided clip-in so, I have no dramas in finding the cleat. The advantage of this pedal is that it can ridden with your tennis shoes on the flat side if you're just heading to the shops. Unlike my road bike - which is a Cannondale CAAD 10 - I have discovered that I can't ride the Specialized Sirrus comp fast 'round tight corners whilst spinning as the pedals hit the ground; I've already got shiny bare metal showing on my brand-new pedals. Thankfully, because the bike is a solid beast, it just growls at you and stays on the rails as it corners whilst sparks fly up from behind your heel.

Overall, I like this bike despite the fact that Specialized offer lighter frames in the Sirrus range with carbon forks and rear sections. I bought this model based on price and durability for touring, so weight isn't crucial as I won't be taking on my buddies - I'll leave that for the Sunday rides on thin wheels.

[Oct 31, 2012]
Mike McCarthy

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, great gearing

Comes with realy crappy pedals

I cycled (And still do) a Centurion Crossline 500 for 2.5 years - and loved it. I was on the market for another bike and was looking at Giant and Trek bikes at my local bike shops, I was ready to order a Trek but they only had the larger size in Red, whice I don't like, the shop assistant found the Specialized in an XL frame and in slate grey at a reduced price (2012 models at the end of 2012 go down in price here in Japan) I hurried home to check out this bike and read nothing but glowing reviews , which I thought involved a lot of hype but I thought even if this bike lives up to half of what people say then it is a great bike. I hurrried back to the shop and placed my order for an XL model - I am 179cm and sizing chart says I should be getting an L but wanted to try a slightly bigger frame, a week later my bike came and it was love at first sight ! Didn't make a mistake with the sizing the XL seems to suit my frame perfectly. The gearing is amazingly responsive, leg power transfers to speed straight away, would like to get this gearing on my Centurion. I thought the 28 tyres might be a bit narrow/small to absorb pavement bumps but I am getting used to them though I might change to 32 later. I knocked 6 minutes of a 50Km. cycle today, that was 6 minutes off my fastest time that I couldn't better in 13 months of trying! I like narrow saddles so found this to be a bit wide - but am getting used to that as well. The pedals - I don't think crappier pedals could have been put on this bike ! No matter they came off straight away and I put SPD's on.
The handlebars with ends are so comfortable, every bike should have them
This bike feels easier on my back too but this might be purely psychological, I need all the help I can get now and every bit helps. I love this bike - Buy one !

Centurion Crossline 500 L size.

[Aug 01, 2011]
KSURIder

OVERALL
Strength:

Thinner (quicker) tires
Light, quick bike for a relative newbie
2-way release shifters are nice

None yet

Just purchased a 2001 Specialized Sirrus Comp. I checked out everything I could find in my area and it boiled down to the Sirrus Comp and Trek 7.5FX. Could have gone either way - similar components on each. In the end, I liked the slight differences in the Sirrus, most notably the thinner tires (28mm vs. 32mm) and the bar ends along with the price (Sirrus was $50 less). Trek did have a nicer saddle. Could have gone either way and would have been happy with either. So far so good on the Sirrus.

[Jul 11, 2011]
Ollie

OVERALL
Strength:

Brakes, build quality, looks

Just a great bike, I got the Sirrus Comp disc 2011 model. Very light, super good looking. I have done around 1000 km in just over a month and cauld not be happier. Great disc brakes and a comfortable ride.

[Jul 25, 2010]
MSDos5

OVERALL
Strength:

Kind of light, Sirrus expert comes in lots of pretty colors.

Wheels and Casette

Me and My Friend are having lots of problems with this thing. I was kind of cash strapped when I bought it, but I didn't think it would be this bad. I have it set up for day touring but I haven't been able to ride with confidence on this bike. Mainly cause soon after I bought it I read a post by a Guy in NYC, & although riding alot. His casette had gone bad in just over two years, looking into it a little more I found out its common.(the casette was designed to be light) More recently Me and My friend have had problems with the alex rims, which are weak, I weigh 230. That being said all kinds of People have recorded problems with breaking spokes, My Friend is riding faster and claims They flex on corners. He has ordered a new wheelset, I am going to try to rebuild My wheels with better spokes & try to salvage this thing.

[Jan 15, 2010]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, sleek looking ride - better lock it up someone might wanna borrow it.

Smooth pavement ride. Get a helmet & wear it !!

I've had my Sirrus for over 5 years - I wanted a fast, light bike but this frame is also rigid enuf to make me feel confident. I only ride this bike occaisonally - on paved roads when traffic is slack. I'd like to have more opportunity to ride - perhaps I'll go out for a spin instead of wasting more time on this write up !!

Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Le Tour
I've just bought a "Scattante" - also on sale ! It is just as light & was listed at $800 US - paid $399 on sale
I'm not used to it yet, I bought it from Performance bikes They charge 2X more than anyone else & won't publish my reviews.

[Sep 17, 2008]
setoverset

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, light, comfortable, nice compact geometry.

Ride can be a bit harsh on less than perfect roads.

The Sirrus is a great bike for those who want the compact geometry and speed of a road bike but want the maneuverabilty and comfort of flat bars. It has 48x38x28 chainrings on the front and a 12-25t cassette on the back which is more than enough for most terrain. I've heard some bad things about the stock rims (Alex Rims S500s), but have yet to have any probs after a couple of thousand km and the stock Specialized flak Jacket tyres can be a bit hairy in the wet. All in all though it's a fine bike ...

[Jun 15, 2008]
matthewmagill

OVERALL
Strength:

its a specialized so its mass is remarkably balanced. Its very quick, agile, and a pleasure to pedal and shift the 10spd drivetrain...

the wheels suck really bad, the front fork makes weird noises if you push it.

Im not sure what year my bike is, but i purchased it off craigslist almost a year ago.. I rode this bike all year long and only the wheels have given me problems. I think it's mostly due to bad engineering, since I replaced the wheels with something more oriented towards my riding style. unfortunately that adds weight unless you want to buy a wheelset that is worth more than the bike which i choose not to while im in school :)

creates a nice ballz-out atmosphere riding to work and even made it down a couple sweet jumps!

I'll never part with it unless its for a newer model with discs and better wheel technology...

lots

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.