Trek 7.1 FX Hybrid Bike

We call it a fitness bike, but this is Trek's most popular bike for a reason. Roadies, commuters, fitness freaks, errand runners, Sunday riders—everyone loves the FX.

• Frame: FX Alpha White Aluminum
  • USER REVIEWS

[Oct 15, 2020]
    yonatan

OVERALL
    Strength:

I ride and do basic maintenance for two FX 1 bikes (previously FX 7.1) since 2017. Mainly used for urban commuting on bike paths and a short tarmac path. The frame is strong. before commuting on the Trek FX 1, my commuting experience includes 30 years of commuting on a 10spd Raleigh. Never broke or bent an axle.

Avoid. It is a cheap bike, and by cheap, I do not refer to the price tag: 1. The stock Wellgo pedals are not suitable for urban rides. By the time the metal frame of the pedal meets a curb it is bent and no longer be bent back and screwed into the cheap plastic pedal skeleton - replaced by Wellgo MG-1pedals. 2. The Bontrager tires lack even the basic puncture protection - Replaced with Schwalbe Marathon Racer tires. 3. The Bontrager AT-750wheel are built by a machine. Upon purchase the spokes are not equally tension-ed and tend to break. On top of this, the rear wheel axle - Hollow one to accommodate quick release - literally cracked and broke 3 times. I weigh 170lbs. and my son 130lbs, and the bike is spec-ed 300lbs. We do not jump curbs and we do try to avoid potholes. Maybe this has something to do with the freewheel setup. 4. The square tapered VP (68mm/121.5mm) bottom bracket is of low quality. 5. The chain is Z-series KMC which quickly wears out the drive train (especially the Sunrace 7spd FreeWheel) - replaced by KMC X series, Shimano 7spd freewheel & a Shimano 361 crankset. BTW. my FX 1 did not come stocked with a Shimano crankset! it was a "SMA" crankset. 6. One should really use a Shimano aluminum-rim-friendly brake pads rather than the stock Tektro pads.

Price Paid:
    2017
    [Jul 19, 2011]
    Henry Jesfen

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price value, Handling, shifts smoothly, seat is decent, comfortable riding position (aggressive but still somewhat upright), nice components, brakes well

Not the fastest bike in the world, but fast enough that you'll leave all the Walmart bikes in the dust! (I ride circles around my brother's mongoose)

I love my Trek 7.1FX, the bike does everything that I need it to do, smooth ride on the trail, fast on the streets, great for commuting; however, I use it predominantly on the bike paths and it flys! This is a great entry bike at an entry level price!

n/a... This is my first bicycle

[Jul 17, 2010]
    MICHAEL LOTT

OVERALL
    Strength:

GOOD ON DIRT ROADS AND PAVEMENT . ENJOYABLE TO RIDE .

SLOWER THAN A ROAD BIKE BUT STILL FAST ENOUGH FOR ME .

LOVE THIS BIKE . HAVEN'T RODE MUCH IN 10 YEARS . I TRY TO RIDE EVERY DAY . BOUGHT IT MOSTLY FOR TRYING TO KEEP MY BLOOD PRESSURE ,WEIGHT , AND DIABETES IN CHECK . THE MORE I RIDE THE STRONGER AND MORE EASIER IT SEEMS TO TAKE ON HILLS AND LONGER RIDES . 10 TO 45 MILES . GREAT BIKE .

12 SPEED I BOUGHT 24 YEARS AGO .