Trek 7300 Hybrid Bike

Frame Material: aluminum
Frame Angles: 71.5 head, 73.5 seat
Sizes: 15", 17.5", 20", 22.5", 25", womens 15", womens 17.5", womens 20"
Colors: Dark Blue/Ball-Burnished, Green/Silver
Tires: 700 x 35c Bontrager Invert HC

[Jan 20, 2019]
LawrieScholar

OVERALL
Strength:

An excellent commuter bike. Suitable as a hybrid, I’ve taken it on bike trails here in Austin, and it’s held up well. It has a rather unique (in my experience) shock absorbing set of forks, where the top piece of the forks has a pneumatic shock absorber. I’m overweight, 5’8” & 195 lbs., so it fully compresses when I mount it.

I am not sure but I don’t think the shock-absorbing forks are adjustable.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2008
[Nov 02, 2016]

OVERALL
Strength:

Handles uneven road surfaces well. Comfortable to ride. Corners well at high speed. Three front sprockets gives you plenty of peddling space.

Can't compete with performance of a true road bike.

I had this bike since 1997. The cables and front derailleur did rust out but I attributed that to wear and tear. If you can work the gears effectively and it's an easy ride on rolling hills. I am keeping this bike but I want to upgrade to an Emonda for more precision performance on the road given the peddling effort.

Trek mountain bike

[Apr 25, 2016]
Thaddeus Deus

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight. Durable. Shimano derailleur, good quality.

Narrow tires not good for transit streetcar tracks.
Not good for heavy duty off road mountain biking.

Decent light weight, good quality. But only reasonably good for town and off road.
Wary of street car tracks. And not equipped for back trails. Needs wider and heavy treads.

[Aug 21, 2015]
Jim

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable bike, very comfortable to ride.

Original twist shifters

I have owned two of these 7300s. Four if you count the wife's bikes too. No real trouble out of any of them (the original two were donated to our daughter and son in law). All 4 are still in use today. I replaced the original twist shifters with SRAM paddle shifters and have never looked back. I am a road bike rider and I use this for training. I do this simply because, the bike is a bit heavier than a road bike and the ride position provides a bit for wind resistance than the posture on a road bike. That means, you have to push a bit harder. That said, the bike performs very well for the price paid and I could not be happier. It fits my needs better than anticipated. Overall, I think this is a great product at a great price.

[Aug 08, 2012]
Dan Vaughn

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight

Trek has a lot to contend with in this bike. After 4 years of lightweight riding ( under 200 miles )this bike has fallen apart. The spokes have broken on the front and the back tires. The seat post has broken and does not function. Several parts have rusted out and the list goes on ands on.

I seriously would not recommend this bike to anyone. Trek has definitely a quality issue with this model. I have been buying bikes all my life and never have I experienced so many broken spokes and basic quality issues. I bought a Trek on good faith that they provide a good quality bike. I have owned several Treks in the past as well and I have never had a problem such as this one. I am 5'10 @ 190 on a 21" frame. This bike should handle me with ease...

[Jul 30, 2012]
Jim Adair

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy rolling, high quality materials, low maintenance, 24 speeds!

It's not a road bike, so you'll have to really peddle to keep up with a speedy road racer. But, who wants to do that?

In 2010, I needed to replace my 20-year old Specialized Hybrid and found the 7300. At 6-2 and 200 pounds, I was looking for a sturdy ride that wouldn't kill my aching back or neck. This bike has been fantastic! I've put 3,000 miles, including 2 RAGBRAI'S, on this bike and haven't needed to change a tire or do much maintenance to it at all. I highly recommend it for someone that wants a comfortable ride with the capability to move down the road quickly when needed.

[Jul 31, 2008]
Mark Waxman

OVERALL
Strength:

Quality. Comfort. Easy to ride. Nice seating position. Comfortable seat.

None.

Mine is actually a 2008 model. This is fun, easy to ride, well built. As a new rider I've put a bit over 200 miles on it in the past month and a half. I've worked from 4 to 10 miles every day and its been a blast on the Trek 7300. I've had four heart attacks and have an implanted defibrillator and needed a low impact way to exercise that was fun.

I tried a number of models and was fitted by the retailer when purchasing.

[Sep 15, 2007]
Dennis Hildreth

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliability, tires, fun to ride

Heavy, ride is a little harsh typical of an aluminum bike

This is a solid, back to biking bicycle. Quality equipment, Good tires. Fun to ride. Easy to ride. Not twitchy at all.
Ride is a little harsh even with the front shock and suspension seat. Basically a good quality bike to get some excercise and see the sights.

first bike since the Romans took Gaul.

[Mar 26, 2007]
john lai

OVERALL

This bicycle shop had on staff someone who read my requirements like a book and after speed reading my pros and cons, recommended the Trek 7300. I'm very happy with the books ending.

I had been thinking about returning to bicycling for a few years now, cholestrol, blood pressure, etc, but could not figure what to get. Then while my wife was browsing a closeout sale in a jewelry store next door, I wandered into this bicycle shop. Again a hundred or more bikes there on the rack, all the reasons I could'nt decide before. But for this time a saleperson spent on an otherwise unlikely looking purchaser, my situation was reversed by a couple words. "Youre looking for a comfort hybrid, wheels that work better for road than off road, flat bar and suspension for comfort and gearing for efficiency." Sounded right.
The trek has lived up to those promises.
I like that darn blue finish as well.

previous bike was road bike from 20 plus year ago, Centurian with Shimano 500 groppo.

[Mar 03, 2007]
Jac Polsgrove

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable riding position that can be adjusted easily. With 24 speeds, I can take the bike up just about any of the hills I encounter without grunting and groaning! I love the shocks and the nice, well-padded seat. They make for a comfortable ride around town.

I don't like the wires on top of the horizontal top tube, or whatever it's called. There are little rubber widgets on the cables to keep them off the metal, but I imagine it's only a matter of time before they wear out and the cables start scratching the paint.

I'm 52 and a recent physical found me with high cholesterol and blood pressure and an admonition by my doctor to lose weight, exercise and change my diet. I've lost 30 pounds so far, changed my diet dramatically, and my exercise has consisted solely of daily brisk-paced walks. Even with an iPod, the walks are becoming boring, so after reading up and doing some test riding, I ended up with the 7300 to ride about an hour each weekday and 2-3 hours over the weekend. I last owned a bike in the '70s, so the technology has changed a lot. This bike rides very comfortably and meets my needs, since my riding is pretty much on city streets or paved trails along Tucson's dry (except in monsoon season) arroyos, or washes. I'm a big guy with another 50-60 pounds to go to get down to my ideal weight and the 7300 treats me just fine! I didn't add anything to it (just a below-the-seat storage thing for my wallet, keys, etc.). As a non-technical person, I have had no problems with the bike and am pleased with it. It's actually been more enjoyable than walking, so my plan to alternate days between walking and riding the bike have ended up with me walking 2-3 times a week and riding the bike the rest. Because I'm a bigger guy, I opted for the 7300 over the cheaper models because of the more durable wheels and upgrades.

Nothing since I had a Raleigh 10-speed back when Jimmy Carter was President!