Cycle Genius RDX-Raven Recumbent Bike

• Crank: Truvativ Rouleur Alloy Road Cranks

[Dec 11, 2019]
vibachu

OVERALL
Strength:

I have ridden the RDX 5500 miles over 7 years. It is one of two LWB recumbents I own. The bike is well-made, durable, reliable. It handles well and is pleasant to ride. It is usually a steal when you can find one used. I ride it somewhat less frequently than my RANS Stratus XL. It had a 20 X 1 1/8 tire and I increased it to 1 3/8 for a little softer ride.

The front derailleur was a Microshift which rubbed no matter how it was adjusted or where it was set. I changed to Shimano, which the RANS had and had no problems. I think the large crank should be 50 not 52, and the medium 39 and not 42. I suspect that would better complement the 27" rear wheel, but never got around to changing them. The idler, if you have to replace it, and I did, is exactly that of the RANS Stratus. That sold by Terracycle is too large and causesthe chain to i terfere withthe rear brake cable.

Price Paid:
Model Year:
2006
[Apr 15, 2014]
Tim Scanlon

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, smooth, great quality overall. Mechanically very simple.

The idler is unnecessary so, after actually speaking with the guy who designed and built the CGR 700c, I took it off. He claimed it was unnecessary too but built it in because every other LWB bike had one. Would have liked to see X-9 parts instead of X-7. May upgrade the bars to Rans for about $ 75 if I get really fussy.

Excellent bike! I rode a Rans Stratus XP over 160 km (100 miles) before I decided to by a LWB bike and have absolutely no regrets buying the CGR 700c other than the fact it is no longer made. I would have bought an extra CGR 700c…just in case (at the bargain price they were).

I have made a 250 km one-day ride on the CGR 700c and stepped off the bike feeling great. I revel in being stared at by pedestrians and fashion conscious snooty club riders. If they only knew how COMFORTABLE this bike is…wow!

[Jun 17, 2012]
bent bentgrin

OVERALL
Strength:

COMFORT, handling, stability, many brazeons for accessories, quality, and incredible value. I owned many recumbents and the only bike that comes close to Raven is Ti-Rush -- Tour Easy close second. However, I paid over $5,000 10 years ago (sold it after one year because touring on such an expensive bike was nerve racking), and the Raven is only $1,400. Surprisingly, I find Raven to more stable speeds below 5-6 mi/hr and downhill at over 45 mi/hr.

Aesthetically it is different.
To improve its appeal for bicycle tourists, Cycle Genius needs an under the seat rack (http://www.t-cycle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=T&Category_Code=R) and a way to fold for cheaper shipping.

It is an awesome bike for a great price.

[Sep 22, 2008]
dkodo

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth and comfortable
Wide range of speeds
Good Component group

Long chain could use more support

2008 Cycle Genius Raven Recumbent
Light weight and fast and very confortable. Long wheelbase takes a little time getting used to but not a problem. Brushed Aluminum finish is easy to keep it looking great. Riding the Raven becomes so natural is almost a shame I don't have another pair of hands to take pictures of the passing scenery.
I ride on primarily flat land but there are some hills that the Raven takes with ease. It is a lot of fun to ride.