Argon 18 Krypton Road Bike

Available At

A 100% carbon frameset, the Krypton is a remarkably versatile and effective machine at home in most every setting.

[Oct 25, 2012]
Chooka

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong Frame - wide TT, thick chainstays and BB
Black & White colors with nice finish
Stable on descends
Climbs ok but nothing spectacular
Versatile - integrated head set where u can raise/lower riding position.
Comfortable

Frame isn't super light
Limited color choice
Average handlebars

I think Argon or their suppliers in OZ are no more and I was able to purchase the bike for 1/2 price 2nd hand almost new.

This bike makes me feel safe and I like it. My concern was/is due to me being 95kg I may break a 2nd hand carbon frame that wouldn't be warranteed, no such concerns with this frame. I tried a number of brands before purchasing and there are many good bikes out there but there is nothing wrong with this frame. I read that Argon reduced the frame weight and increased stiffness on their later model bikes.

I would classify this bike as a good all-rounder or training bike but when i lose some poundage over the next 18 months I'll probably get something like a Cervelo R3

[Feb 09, 2011]
miketraz

OVERALL
Strength:

-Value
-All carbon frame
-Smooth shifting SRAM Force gear mech
-SRAM Rival shifters are great and save some coin
-Very cool looking frame

-Aksium wheels might need upgrading to a lighter, racier set

**Please note this is for the 2009 model...I didn't have the option of choosing it in the menu here.

This is my first road bike and I am planning on using it for my first triathlon. Since it is a 2009 model, I got a great deal. Despite the fact its a 2009 and not a 2011, it is an amazing bike. I never imagined this all-carbon bike would be so light and fast!

I hear the frame isn't the lightest on the market, but I think thats just weight weenie talk because its pretty darn light to me. The geometry seems versatile allowing for really aggressive sprint positioning in addition to a comfortable upright as well. The bare carbon and red is pretty sweet looking btw.

On another note, I love the doubletap shifting by SRAM...its pretty easy to pick up and is very intuitive. Shifting is very smooth on this bike...chain doesn't slip off the rings. The zeroloss shifting for the front also makes shifting the front derailleur easy. The Mavic Aksium wheels are solid, but probably weigh the bike down a good deal.

Overall I love the bike so far and the bonus is the great value you get. Where are you going to get an all-carbon SRAM Force/Rival mix bike for less than two grand? Nowhere I've seen except with the Argon 18 Krypton. I fully trust this bike for my triathlon and my training.

[Oct 27, 2008]
TriGuy404

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit
Comfort
Price
Looks

Weight (component-limited)
Stock handlebars

Got a pretty good deal on this bike. It's great for the price, especially considering that it used to be their top of the line bike just a few years ago. It's a vast improvement from the aluminum Scott Waimea I'd been riding on in terms of comfort, while still being as, if not more, stiff in the bottom bracket. It isn't the lightest bike, but it's mostly because of the components, not the frameset. As my first all-carbon bike it's been great so far and has left me wanting for little else(except maybe some lighter wheels, internal cable routing, and a full ultegra or DA setup)! It even has aerodynamic aspirations with tapered down and seat tubes (the seat tube even has a slight rear wheel cutout), although it is nowhere near as slippery as say, a Soloist.

Oh, and the white pain combined with the naked carbon along the top tube combine for a great, distinctive look.