Argon 18 Platinum Road Bike

With the Platinum, we sought to design a frameset combining razor-sharp handling as well as an overall rigidity capable of handling the power output from the very strongest riders. Of all the bikes in the Argon 18 range, the Platinum exhibits the best stiffness-to-weight ratio.

[Mar 18, 2009]
rob

OVERALL

not much aerodymics in shaping the monocoque

Bought the frame and put a campy centaur gruppo on her with flashpoint wheels.
This an excellent frame, light, stiff, ride fairly well, nice paint job.

argon 18 helium

[Jun 04, 2008]
kurtdriver

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff and light

I worry about damaging the carbon

I love my baby! She climbs like a goat and is very stiff. Sprints amazingly too, it's the stiffness of that frame. No complaints except that I worry about damaging it.

[Feb 27, 2008]
hartarthur

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiffness, weight, looks, handling, responsiveness, comfort

Only weakness i can think of is price.

Overall, a great bike. It climbs like a goat, stiff on sprints and comfortable enough to ride for 100 miles. Some other clown was questioning titanium v. carbon in another review. In my opinion, there is a reason that most pros ride carbon. Its just a better material.

Trek 5200, Trek Madone SSL

[Jan 11, 2008]
AndyB10

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, looks, stiff but still compliant

None so far

Price paid is in GBP for frame and forks only. Overall probably spent about £1800
Had promised myself a carbon framed bike for some time and got this at a great price.
Absolutely love everything about it. Stiff enough for me but comfortable and responsive I regularly ride to 50 miles on a real mixture of main and back roads. Quicker than my other bike (Specialized Allez Sport) and a lot better looking.
This is one great bike

Specialized Allez Sport (a good bike as well)

[Nov 15, 2007]
Balderick

OVERALL
Strength:

Very stiff, especially the rear end. great crit bike and for sprinting. I weigh 100 kg and it has the perfect amount of stiffness (hepas) and comfort (enough) to suit me.

Only that it is carbon and I worry about carbon's longevity more than I do a Titanium frame. it can be a bit harsh on very rough roads, roads that are not a problem on my Giant and weren't at all harsh on the Argon18 Titanium

Purchased as a frameset and built up with Frame was a replacement for a cracked argon18 Titanium, which Argon no longer make (which is a shame).

Giant TCR Composite (still have - much much softer/flexible); Argon 18 Titanium (great, my favourite ever frame but it cracked)