Bianchi Brava Road Bike

• Seatpost: Bianchi Componenti, 27.2mm

[Nov 24, 2019]
Presto37

OVERALL
Strength:

Built mine from scratch , frame up . I did buy the bike complete but ditched the parts to drop weight and get exactly what I wanted . So really only can judge the frame itself ... frame is made of 631 Reynolds steel , super comfortable , frame isn’t heavy but not super light , with my high end components & 1475 gram wheelset I got mine down to 19.7 pounds . I love it ! It’s a great bike for all day rides , long or short , and eats up road chatter really well too , 700x28 is as big as I need to go so works out for me . A great bike for single day adventures , climbs well too , great road geometry. Longest ride has been 69 miles and wasn’t sore at all . Built this up as my travel bike , excited to take it to Mexico City , then Albuquerque, then Bangkok .

The components on the stock model are functional but I wouldn’t recommend for serious riders in any regard . The frame is killer ! Bianchi steel bikes are famous for a reason !

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2009
[Jul 15, 2018]
Handy

OVERALL
Strength:

Cro-mo steel frame & carbon fork All Shimano drivetrain and wheels Rack mounts Celeste A fast day tourer or commuter Great all arounder, except gravel.

Limited to 28cm tires at most Not a racer Not top of the line components A higher stck height would welcome. I would not ride the Tour de France on this bike, you shouldn't either.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2007
[Jul 17, 2011]
Olsondp

OVERALL
Strength:

reliable, great value, comfortable

The bike is heavy and the Sora components are bottom of the line - however they have never failed me

I originally bought the bike as a commuter but have also taken it on many club rides, a supported tour and a self contained tour. It has never let me down. I found it to be a comfortable commuter with its carbon fork and steel frame. I have replace the Alex rims with stouter ones for touring, added a brooks B-17 seat and changed the cassette to an 11-34 for ease in climbing mountain passes. While I have done self contained touring on it, I feel it is pushing the bikes limit especially because the largest tires I can fit on it are 700-28. At $650.00, I found it to be an incredible, value. It has done everything I wanted and then some.

Trek 520

[May 18, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Price. ($500 !?!?! A STEAL)
Durability (versus aluminum, so I'm told).

Lightweight (versus oldschool steel*).

* Just in case, like me, that's your primary reference point, as opposed to aluminums.

Heavy (versus some aluminum and carbon).

Fragile (versus oldschool thicker steel*)

Can't say that I've ridden very many modern road bikes -- my other cycles are all '80s chrome-moly steel frames, so this bike is more than acceptably lightweight by my (admittedly low) standards.

Bike feels very solid over rough surfaces, brakes & handles excellently.

That there are three crank gears seems to mean that there are a few "off limits" gear settings where the chain is most diagonal (innermost crank gear & outermost wheel gear and vice versa). This is mostly irrelevant since those particular gears are in the middle of all possible gears, and therefore reproducible by other combinations of gearing. I have only ever tried using the smallest crank gear once, and when I did the chain slipped off, but I'm not too concerned considering it's a really ridiculously tiny gear that I don't imagine I'll ever need anyway.

The tubes must be really thin. I randomly noticed a rather large dent in the frame only 2 weeks after purchase -- no recollection of any incident which could have caused this, so I can't really say that it's a weak frame necessarily, though whatever caused it would not likely have so much as phased my '80s peugeot tanks.

In summary, bike seems to be a viable alternative to aluminum bikes for those who can't afford carbon. Lighter than some aluminums I've come across, heavier than some others (doesn't touch carbon, of course). Supposed to far outlast a comparable aluminum bike, and provide better comfort/stability. At $500, mine was cheaper than any (new) aluminum bike I could find anyway.

'80s Peugeot Corbier steel