Bianchi Via Nirone Road Bike

The address of Edoardo Bianchi's first workshop in Milan was 7 Via Nirone. This is a responsive and rigid frame in triple-butted 6061-series aluminum throughout with hydroformed sections to ensure the highest standards of design and performance.

[May 05, 2020]
Bikes from Italy

OVERALL
Strength:

BIANCHI VIA NIRONE 2018 105 You cannot say it isn’t gorgeous, right? It’s a great looking bike, even down to some of the detail like the welding of the alloy frame. They say the original was designed for the Paris Roubaix which, is why it has the road-buzz dampening BAT system built into the rear triangle and carbon front forks. It inspires me to get out and ride, which is great...and it’s nice when you see another one on the road or another Bianchi of the same “Celeste” colour. They stand out. A lot. Love that it’s Italian design with heritage. Loving the Shimano 105. It’s a nice bike.

Somewhere on the internet I read a review that said this bike has a 105 groupset - No it doesn’t. Look a little closer and you notice that all the 105 you get is: 105 levers shifters, 105 cassette, 105 front mech, 105 rear mech. Looks like it may be an Ultegra bottom bracket. But look at what they missed off: 105 Chainset/cranks, 105 front brake, 105 rear brake, Shimano chain. The reviewer I read who complained about the brakes on this bike should have noticed that possibly the reason the brakes were lacking in power is because they are not 105. They are black, but not 105! The saddle is okay, but a bit on the heavy side and so are the tyres. In fact the whole bike is a little bit heavy. Other niggles: Changing into top gear and going over the odd bump causes the chain to chip the lovely paint on the chain stay. I don’t know why but my chain snapped; just one half of a link, but it caused my front mech to crack and fail. My local bike shop sorted this straight away and instead of putting the same make of chain back on the bike, they fitted the stronger Shimano chain that perhaps ought to have been on there from new...After all it is a Bianchi “105”. I didn’t get on with the black bottle cage the bike came with either. I swapped that out for an Elite cage. Other things that I have swapped out relatively inexpensively: Chainset - now I have the 105. Front and rear brakes - now have 105 fitted to match. New handlebar stem, but that’s a result of the bike-fit (deffo recommend one of those). Now it looks like the Bianchi Via Nirone 105 it was meant to be and it looks really great! I’ve also re-greased the wheel hubs which made a huge difference, and ditched the heavy tyres for a light foldable type. All in all I reckon I’ve saved about 400g in weight by swapping these parts out. Considering this Bianchi is named “105” I am more than a little disappointed to find later on that it didn’t have the groupset, and that I hadn’t noticed! Also, if you were expecting this thoroughbred to be built in Italy, it’s not. It’s built in Cambodia.

Price Paid: