Burley Design Cooperative Fox Hollow Road Bike

Tires: 700 x 23c Vredstein Volante Tricomp

[Aug 20, 2019]
1203cc

OVERALL
Strength:

I bought a Burley Fox Hollow frame and fork off of Ebay for $230 and then built it up the bike with various bits and pieces I had lying around. The strong point about this frame is the True Temper OX Platinum tubing which was tig welded by someone with skill at Burley, the welds are to a high standard. Unfortunately, True Temper no longer makes bicycle tubing. I am a big fan of True Temper tubing, there is a particular snappiness to True Temper tubing I really like while still feeling compliant. My frame is 52cm and weighs a little over 3lbs. I have the bike built up to about 18lbs with the pedals on it. There is some slow speed twitchiness at walking speed but I don't find its that big of a deal. I do a lot of gravel riding on the Trans Canada Trail with 27mm tires and its lovely riding bike with no rattles. I find the bike to have a fairly stiff bottom bracket and the power you put into the frame comes out in forward motion as you would expect. Another positive thing going to the Fox Hollow is the powder coated paint which is fairly scratch resistant and a nice bonus over spray on paint. The paint finish is high quality. For the money you can't really go wrong with any OX Platinum frame, be it Burley or Lemond or whoever else has made them. They are a bit of a bargain if you can find a used one in good condition. It's like a poor mans Road Logic.

1) My biggest gripe about the Fox Hollow is I could get a 28mm Continental tire to bike the rear of the bike. There was enough space at the chainstays but the braked bridge was a couple mm's low so the tire rubbed the rear brake. Weird thing was a 27mm tire from Champion fit with lots of space left over. 2) Burley doesn't have the name brand recognition of any of the large manufacturers which is a positive in my opinion. People who don't know bike don't have a clue about Burley, people that do know bikes have no idea Burley made bikes other than tandems and trailers.

Price Paid:
2004
[May 24, 2006]
Paednoch

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth as silk on the road.
Climbs like a banshee.
Very responsive frame
FULL ULTEGRA
Velomax/Easton Circuit wheels
Carbon Fork.
OX platinum frame with beutiful welds.
MAde in USA by respectable company

Some people may not like the Twitchy handling at lower speeds. (I actually think that is a strength)

I bought this bike after riding 6 years on Aluminum. I test rode many a bikes and found this one to be absolutely the best bang for the buck. I ordered a custom paint so I had to wait for my bike about 6 weeks. Th previous Poster noted that it had 105 components on it. He needs to talk to his bike shop because the bike is marketed as a FULL ULTEGRA bike. Perhaps the LBS swapped out some stuff. The bike rides better (my opinion) that any other steel frame I have ridden and handles better than any other bike I rode in its price range (trek, Giant, Raleigh, schwinn, lemond..etc) I have put around 2000 miles on this bike and have not complaints.

Lemond steel bike
Raleight R700
Trek 2100

[Feb 06, 2004]
Amy H

OVERALL
Strength:

Great color-pretty red with nice looking clean Burley design. Paint job is much better than what my Trek had Components are of great quality-Ultegra

Stem-way toooo long. was a 100 or 110mm. Using an 80mm (better fit for a female) bar width tooo wide (was a 42, now a 40) Weight isn't bad for a nice steel frame. The ride definately makes up for it and it was only 19 pounds (size 52). I'm happy overall and can't wait for warmer weather

I purchased my Fox Hollow Burley after looking for a quality steel frame for several years. I have loved steel forever and am picky about brand, quality of welds, and quality of ride. I was overwhelmingly surprised at the plush ride but the ease of taking off when I wanted to. I don't have to stand up to absorb road shock as the Fox smooths the ride out with the great frame design and carbon fork. Components are perfect and the ride is quiet compared to my Spinergy wheels on my old Trek 1200.

Road Trek 1200 for 5 years and have been dying from road shock ever since. Good starter road frame though. Test road Lemond which is very similar to Burley (rumored that Lemond does the welding for Burley, or it that Trek?) Also test road higher end aluminum but never liked the rough ride compared to steel .