Cannondale CAAD8 Road Bike

• Spokes: Stainless Steel

[Apr 13, 2017]
Seb.

OVERALL
Strength:

Cannondale Cadd 8 is what I have and I can say it is a lovely solid bicycle. The overall design is attractive with comfortable but race like geometry. I always look forward to riding it, and the Tiagra system is magnificent. I have done over 2000klms and my Cadd is just brilliant. I strongly recommend it. It is a great looking fast bicycle at a very reasonable price.

I wish Cannondale Cadd 8 came with better & lighter wheels. Stock wheels are really not up to the task. I found them heavy with too many spokes, and didn't hold true . I replaced them with Shimano Ultegra and the performance improved so much more.

Cannondale Cadd 8 is more than an entry level bicycle. If you replace the wheels with lighter and stronger wheels the performance with increase instantly, and your effort and skills won't be held back due to heavy inferior stock wheels. However if your Cadd 8 is only for short distance and speed is not an issue, then the stock wheels will do without problem. But for me a great bicycle like Cadd 8 deserves a set of equally great wheels.

[Jan 12, 2016]
Alan

OVERALL
Strength:

Great frame

FSA bottom bracket, is absolutely rubbish.

Nice bike spoilt by the bottom bracket. Why Cannondale persevere with this BB I do not know.

[Apr 13, 2015]
Andrew Roberts

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride and handling.

None to moan about.

Bought as a budget bike having having my carbon one written off in an accident. Although I bought the bottom of the range Claris Verison, the ride quality offered here justifies a higher group set than even 105. So the bike will grow with you. I took the opportunity to purchase a better quality wheel set than stock and the level of performance went up a notch. The wheels in question bog standard shimano 501s. Back to the ride, hitting consistent personal bests on strava, even though it weighs 9.3kg. What more can I say.

[Jun 10, 2012]
RedMG

OVERALL
Strength:

Super handling. Great balance between comfort and speed. Very easy to get into the drops with a good riing position. I thought the package was good value for money.

Lugano tyres aren't the best and i've had a few punctures with them. Will likely upgrade them soon.

I have the 2012 CAAD 8 105. Tested it against the Giant Defy 1, Merida Race Lite 904, Cannondale Synapse & Trek 2.1. Could have lived with all these bikes except the Merida, which had a vey harsh ride. In the end it came down to the CAAD 8 & the Trek 2.1, which i found very similar, but settled on the Cannondale due to its sharp handling and great looks.

Had the bike a couple of months now, and really like it. It is really easy to ride at speed or with more ease. The build quality is impressive and the only gripe i have is with the Schwalbe Lugano tyres, which have punctured too easily so i'll likely change them soon. 105 shifting works well and no compliants with the FSA crankset.

This bike has got the balance right between speed and comfort and I really feel at around £1,000 its great value for money.

[Jan 06, 2012]
Ray

OVERALL
Strength:

Very Stiff and responsive.
Comfortable to ride.
Handles well for a build designed for comfort.
Embossed paint work rather than decals look fantastic.
Excellent climber and very stable at high speeds.

The FSA Gossamer crank set with the BB30 bracket became very croaky after about 500kms but was solved by re-servicing and re-tourqing the BB.
The 50/34 T Chain rings with the 12/28 rear cluster aren't a great combo. When dropping to the bottom chain ring I find myself having to drop into a harder gear too often. I think a 36 T bottom chain ring would have worked better.
The Tektro brakes are a little to spongy for my liking.
Came with 46cm Handle bar width which would be to wide for most riders.

I test rode a Giant Defy, Giant TCR, Malvern Star Oppy and the Cadd8 and found the Cadd8 to be the smoothest and most comfortable ride out of the 3. It descended beautifully and held lines well at speeds in excess of 70kmph.
The bike is very stiff and responsive and climbs hills effortlessly. The "SAVE" design chain and seat stays dampen a lot of vibration and shock from bad roads and I was still comfortable after 120kms on the bike. The over sized tubes look and feel great and add to the overall performance of the bike.

Giant Defy, Giant TCR, Malvern Star Oppy

[Apr 17, 2011]
Shelbi Hale

OVERALL
Strength:

lightweight, fast, comfortable, stylish, great quality for price, great handling

This is my first road bike, so I can't give a comparative perspective... but I can tell you that this bike is extremely fun to ride, very comfortable (compared to other road bikes I tried out), and FAST! There are so many pros to this bike. I spent a long time making the decision to buy a decent road bike and it was worth every penny. I know it's not a super-high quality professional bike, but I have no complaints. I am 5'9", female, with a long torso, and ride a 54" mens. It's a dream to ride, so much fun.

[Feb 16, 2010]
dyoung350

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks great, Light, fast, great quality

components good but not race worthy.
a rather stiff ride

2010 model CAAD8 6...this is my first road bike in many years. My previous bike was a 1976 Schwinn continental so this was a major upgrade to the old technology. This bike is a full 20 pounds lighter than my old steel bike (weighing in at 20.5lbs) I know the Tiagra components are not race worthy, but for someone just entering the road bike world for fitness sake, it works just great. The biggest difference to me is the stiffness and lightness of the aluminum frame. Having some neck problems, I am a little sensitive to the vibrations. I should be riding a carbon frame but the money was just too much for now. I love the acceleration of this bike. I know there are lighter bikes available but for someone like me coming from an old heavy steel bike, it really moves when you start to really crank the pedals. One day I would like to upgrade to a softer ride, but only because of my neck issues.... I really love this bike! The build quality of Cannondale frames is fabulous.