Cannondale Synapse Alloy Road Bike

Best Price At

An overachievement in aluminum frame design. Sloping top tube, longer head tube, hydroformed S.A.V.E. chain stays, and biaxial hourglass sloping seat stays combine for all-day performance riding comfort.

[Oct 22, 2012]
Wynnbb

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast
Confortable
Very Well Made
Reasonably Priced
Under 20lbs
Aluminum

Stock wheels (Shimano RS-10) and the Tektro brakes both are crap - replaced right away

Got this bike as a birthday present for myself. I am 5'8 with 31" inseam, size 54 of this bike fits me perfectly. The alloy frame is beautifully finished. As the owner of two Trek mountain bikes, I have to admit that Cannondale does a way better paint job. The bike is fast, and yet very confortable on the road. The ride is not harsh by any means compared to other aluminum bikes that I test rode. For ~$1500 I am very satisfied with this bike. Looking forward to my first century soon.

Specialized Allez, Trek 2.1, Giant Defy, Cannondale CAAD10

[Aug 25, 2012]
Jeff S

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent value for the money, great handling, smooth ride

Heavy and sluggish, poor components

I recently rented a Cannondale Synapse 6 while on a weeklong vacation in New Hampshire with family. I normally ride a BMC Pro Machine so I have pretty high expectations for a road bike. That being said, I know that renting a bike one has to be happy with what one can find and in this bike I found a very servicable ride.

The Synapse 6 offers superb handling and comfort making it an excellent choice as an entry level bike for a cost conscious cyclist. While it doesn't spring forward with every mash on the pedals the way a stiffer carbon frame does, it still shows some nice nimble traits and deftly manages turns at high speeds.

I think that if I was going to buy this bike for someone I would upgrade the components to 105, spring for some better wheels and they would have a really nice bike that they would be very happy with for quite some time.

[Jun 21, 2012]
R T

OVERALL
Strength:

1. Good price
2. Great at dampening vibrations; easy on the body
3. No flexing of the bottom bracket when accelerating
4. Handles well

I finally had to replace my old Cannondale Silk Road 500 (CAAD 3) after about 30,000 miles. The design of the Synapse intrigued me, so I tried it out and liked it. I transferred my carbon seat post and Specialized seat from my old bike and put it on the Synapse. I also replaced the stock tires with Continental Gatorskin tires just as I had on my old bike. I replaced the stock handlebar with a slightly wider handlebar.

The angle is more relaxed. I'm a few more degrees upright. It's easy on the back and neck. The rear triangle design damps vibrations much better than my old CAAD 3 frame. The carbon fiber forks do a decent job at absorbing vibrations, but the Silk Road's headset shock was noticeably better . Overall, it does a better job than the Silk road because the rear triangle is so effective.

Shifts are crisp. Braking system works well. The handling is also precise.

[Nov 19, 2010]
ewgrainger

OVERALL
Strength:

Ligthweight
Body position
Smooth, ergonomic shifting

Purchased the Cannondale Synapse 5 after having to send my 1987 Shogun Samurai to the bike bone pile. I'm a recreational rider who competes in triathlons. This bike fits me like a glove and the ride is smooth as silk.

1987 Shogun Samurai

[Nov 02, 2010]
bodiddley

OVERALL
Strength:

price, incredibly smooth ride, responsiveness, durability.

stock rims and spokes a little weak.

Biker's Edge had sold me on a Felt Z70 but when I went to pick it up they had sold it, they cut me a screaming deal on this bike, upgraded the components to Ultegra all around, and I couldn't have been more pleased. Have nearly 3,000 miles on it and still loving it. I ride 70-80 miles a week, have never had a problem with the bike. Love the stock saddle, I am a big guy and it fits my backside fine. Carbon forks and seatpost help as well. For the price paid, even if it's full price, I don't think you can go wrong with this model.

[Aug 04, 2010]
tdefine

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight
Comfortable
Cool looking
Quality components

Could use a full carbon seat post instead of carbon wrapped

After looking at a number of similar bikes, I narrowed my choice to just 2, the Cannondale and the Trek 2.1. I chose the 2010 Synapse 5 mainly because of the frame and the color. I am 65 years old, weigh 230lbs and do recreational rides. I moved up from a Jamis coda sport because I wanted to do longer rides than 15-20 miles. I have been able to do rides of 35 miles with no issues. I am very pleased with the bike overall. The shimano 105 components work flawlessly, the bike is light and even the seat is comfortable. I did have an issue with the reach for the brakes which my dealer solved by putting in shims on the shifters. They come in different sizes, so if this is an issue for you, ask your LBS for help. I also installed a Planet Bike Protege 8 bike computer which is great. It displays 4 lines of info all the time, and is easy to install and set up. I've put over 150 miles on the bike in the first week and am very satisfied. I also found that with the various hand positons on the bike, I really don't need to used gel bike gloves anymore - another bonus!

[Aug 01, 2010]
billwcc

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, quiet ride. Good climber. Very comfortable sprint position.

Stock seat (Prologo Kappa Pas) was a bit hard for me.

2010 Synapse Alloy. As an entry level bike, I don't think you could ask for better. The SAVE frame really does smooth out the ride. Handles and climbs great. I have read many negative reviews about the 105 shifters, but mine have never missed a shift once they were broken in. I am a middle aged, married guy; I can't afford 3K for a bike. The Synapse Alloy is a great value for riders like myself.

1988 Peugeot Bordeaux.

[Jun 08, 2010]
minnesotacyclist09

OVERALL
Strength:

good geometry

Not very responsive and quick. Replace the stock seat and tires to 25c.

A good bike for the money.

Trek 5200

[Nov 22, 2009]
michaelengle

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame and components

Actually my wife and I have a pair of 2009 Cannondale Synapes 5 Alloys and we love the bikes. We have been biking since 1969 and have used Cannondale bikes since 1992. We have a pair of Cannondale F400 mountain bikes and have switched to the road because of our age and the easier ride. Eventhough we are note real cyclists these are awsome bikes as far as we are concerned. I would recommend these to anyone that wants a well made American frame and wonderful components.

Cannondale 300 and Cannondale F400

[Oct 02, 2009]
Michael D. Engle

OVERALL
Strength:

Great shifting, smooth and quick handling.

Non

My wife and I bought 2 Synapse Alloy 5 Cannondales after riding Cannondale mountain bikes for years. These are by far the best bikes we have ever owned.

F300 and F400 Cannondale mountain bikes.