Cervelo S2 Road Bike

The S2 pioneered carbon aero road bicycles. Our experience in building aerodynamic frames without losing focus on weight, stiffness, strength AND comfort, has been proven with multiple wins on the cobblestones. Introduced in 2009, the S2 remains a vital part of the S-series and still offers a true aero value today.

[Jan 21, 2019]
TFR

OVERALL
Strength:

I got this in April 2018. A new bike from a shop, that had been there a few years. It has the newer design with seatstays lower on the seat tube, so it is from 2014 or 15 or so I'd guess. Had 10 speed 105 components. Thought Iwould need to change out the handle bar and seat, but they were fine. It is fast, comfortable, and handles great. It handles rough roads pretty well, and corners like on rails. As a 67 year old racer(if I didn't tell you I am a racer, you might not notice due to the speed I am riding :)), I accept getting slower; BUT I matched a record from 15 or so years ago on a short TT loop I have done over the years. While I am more conscious of getting aero when I ride than I was 15 years ago, the bike had to help. Riding buddies say I move past them on downhills faster than before. I was thinking of replacing the 105 10 speed with Ultegra 11 speed, but the 105 works so well, and is only 4 or so ounces heavier. Other than creaky issue that took quite a bit to resolve, I would rate it 6 out of 5.

Had a really annoying creak. Went through various attempts at a fix , since the shop I bought is 2 hours away. Eventually I brought it back to the shop a couple times back (they were very nice when I called and would work on it pretty promptly). I had already tried (after reading on Cervelos web site and confirming with the shop mechanic) using a very specific locktite(prime with loctite sf 7649, then use loctite 641 on the surface of the plastic cups meeting the frame - not on the bearings against the cups. Previously I had taken BB apart and greased everything but still squeaks. After trying to identify the creak (when I brought it to the shop, it would not creak- so difficult to diagnose) the shop got Cervelo to provide a different BB. Works fine now.

Price Paid:
2015
[Jun 25, 2015]
Rob

OVERALL
Strength:

Rubinio, Vittoria Pro-slick tires. Aero frame. Dura Ace 7900 component set. Very comfortable hoods. Comfortable and aero in the drops. Exceptionally quiet and smooth with 7900 component set. Very stiff and fast on in all phases; descents, climbing and in a pack. Price

-Fizik Arione Wing flex is in my opinion a horrible seat. Not a big Fizik fan, boys go numb quite a bit, and have to be so far back to get seat bones on pear section of the saddle.
-On a Dura Ace bike I would expect Zipp or HUB rims.

I was on a 2008 Specialized Tarmac Comp, Team Gerolsteiner colors with 105 components and Ultegra de-railer. It was my first full carbon bike before that I was on a 2011 Felt F95 Aluminum frame, carbon fork. Specialized was a 58, a bit big as I'm 5, 1"' but shortened the neck.

I bought my 2011 Cervelo S2 Dura Ace/7900 in June of 2015. My friend owns a shop and this was a left over at one of his stores that never sold, I got it for over 2k less and it had never been rode so for value it's a 5 for sure. Even at $5,500.00 it's tough to beat a bike like this with a Dura Ace set even one a few years old.

Same frame as 2012/13/14 S2/3, Cervelo made changes to the frames for 2015 so any left overs you can find there is no difference for instance between '11 S2 and '14 S3 frames Aero bikes are certainty popular and you see them even in the peloton. It's extremely fast and quiet and all aspects of the bike are awesome w/ exception of the saddle and the rims. The rims aren't horrible but again, I expect Zipp/HUB for a Dura Ace component set. I have Zipp 404's that I put the Pro-slicks on and put a set of 700x25's on the Fulcrum rims for rainy days. Everything is internal with exception of the STI as it leaves handle bar and enters top/down tubes.

Very clean, colors matches almost anything for those of us that like to shoes, gloves and helmet that match or complement each other.

Cervelo is the lead AERO manufacturer in the world (although Giant makes everyone's frames) and I love this bike. The only think I will most likely change is the saddle but WELL worth the $.

Hope this review helps.
Rob

[Sep 12, 2014]
stevem

OVERALL
Strength:

Pricing, looks, built, aero, light weight.

Frame could use better wheels and groupset.

I bought a 2013 version of this bike with 105 and Shimano R500 wheels. In reading the reviews, I knew this frame could and has historically, performed really well with lighter wheels. I have an old bike I will be building up, and there was an opportunity for me to push the wheels and the groupset to another bike so the economics made sense. Accordingly, for a few hundred dollars more, I upgraded to Ultegra 6800 11 Speed, and changed the wheels out to a set of handbuilt aluminum rims. A set of Continental GP4000S IIs went onto the rims, and I have to say, the whole bike takes on a different character. The new Ultegra is super smooth shifting, and the additional 28T cog makes climbs very nice. The light, but not super light rims (H Plus Son Archetype) roll fast (Bike Hub Store hubsets), and I'm just over 15lbs all in. If you can pick up this bike at a good price, or just the frameset, it's fabulous. The upgrade path is nice because you can take advantage of a frame that has been replaced by a more current model, and move the bike up to its former glory -- without spending an arm and a leg.

[Oct 25, 2013]
MErcRidnMike

OVERALL
Strength:

Tour technology (granted a few years old) with modernized materials, reasonable weight (17.5 lbs for a 58 cm frame with Campy Zonda wheel upgrade), pretty stiff but doesn't beat you up too badly for an aero frame bike. Cervelo name....come on, admit it: it is a sexy name when it comes to fast bikes ;)

Not the cutting edge of tech (but the price reflects that), color / schemes the last few years, limited seatpost options, heavy stock wheels and cranks

I got mine on an end of season special (price in Cdn $) and it was a great value overall. Coming off an aluminum framed bike, this frame seemed like butter for my clyde class butt. Yes, there are more comfortable bikes for the long haul out there (lots of Fondo bikes these days)...but what it gives up in absolute plush ride, it gives back in "ready to hit it....hard" go. It has held up extremely well and is surprisingly fast...it seems to really find its stride if you get it over 30 km/h.

The SRAM Rival shifters and derailleurs do quite well, but they are not the lightest (not a big concern for me). I'm not a fan of the FSA Gossamer cranks and brakes that came stock on my 2012 version....I'll likely ride it stock for a year or two and then upgrade to Campy Chorus.

Since new, I've upgraded from the Fulcrum Racing T wheels (mix of Racing 5 and Racing 7 components) to Campagnolo Zonda wheels (aka Fulcrum Racing 3's) shod with 25 mm GP4000s tires and it has livened the bike up considerably.

For a charity event, I threw some clip-on aeros on it and, though not ideal for position, it did quite well overall.

If you're not looking at spending an arm and leg for a quick bike, then look no further. If you're after a bike for back-to-back Centuries, this might not be ideal but it will get the job done.

Tried a variety - Cannondale Synapse and Giant Avail Composite being the runners up to this choice...but the sexy and speed won out when I had a chance to put the S2 through its paces.

[Mar 14, 2013]
ayEtionroids

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike is comfortable, great cornering, and the aero frame cuts through the air like crazy!

The SRAM Rival components are middle of the road, but still quality components.I am planning on upgrading to Force with Red shifters.

Overall, a great bike. Cannot fail with this bike!

[Feb 06, 2013]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

The bike is stiff, fast, very repsonsive and I love the geometry. The geometry allows me to spend more time in the drops while feeling relatively comfortable. My bike is equipped with full Ultegra and I like the overall solid feel and dependability of the frame and components. To me, it's the best bang for the buck when it comes to a true race machine.

The only weakness is the components. Current 2013 model comes with sram rival components and cheap, heavy wheels. If you can upgrade to carbon wheels that will maximize the aero features of the frame then you have a dream machine. The original S2 for the Cervelo Test Team came with durace components and Zipp wheels and any reviews that were done at that time had either ultegra or durace components and deep dish carbon wheels that worked well with the bikes geometry. So the good news you can replicate a similiar build if you want to go to that expense.

Overall a great bike not matter what components you have on the bike. You will simply enjoy the ride and feedback you get from the road and the ability to go fast. The bike is very responsive to your effort and energy you put into the bike. I also love the "emotion" of the brand. Cervelo has done a great job telling it's "story".

[Dec 19, 2012]
Jonathan

OVERALL
Strength:

(1) it is stiff for power transfer, (2) it corners well (I like the geometry)… really well, (3) I guess the aero shape is good, but I cannot discern the advantage when riding, trust the science.

The non drive chain stay got a crack in it, but Cervelo sent me a new frame for free after minimal arguing. Out of the box, the frame weighed in at 1,120 grams (size 54 cm) with nothing but the derailer hanger. I guess that is a little heavy, but 90% of cyclist who worry about their bike’s weight should worry more about their body weight. Built with pedals and carbon wheels & sram force the bike weighs 16 pounds.

Bottom line, I’ve had good race results on this bike. I think my legs had more to do with the results than the bike, but the bike didn’t hurt because it is a race machine. The geometry, stiffness, tube shapes; everything is designed for the races. If you are more of a recreational rider, I would go with an R3, because you will get plenty of performance, but more comfort. The S2 isn’t known for comfort, but I’d rather have the feedback from the road than compliance when taking a corner in a crit. Also if you are a recreational rider you’d get a higher head tube on the R3 rather than running a bunch of spacers on the S2 and watering down its race geometry.
The extra weight of the frame for the aero tubing doesn’t bother me much, because it is static and compared to a full water bottle or excess body fat, the weight is negligible. I guess the aero tubes are good, but if aero dynamics are a concern spend your money on deep section carbon wheels and your time doing yoga to reach a low handle bar position.
I’d recommend this bike no problem… if you have a good shop to work with on warranty, fit, and maintenance. A quality shop should be the biggest consideration, buy whatever the best shop in town sells. If my shop sold Cannondale, I would buy the CAAD10 next and get just as good of a frame, but they don’t, so it will be a Madone next.

Cervelo R3, Trek Madone, Klein Pro XX

[Nov 26, 2012]
A141

OVERALL
Strength:

Great overall race bike. Stiff, Aero, Lightweight. Can be used for crits, long road races, and tri's/tt with aerobars/2-position seat post.

At 2013 MSRP of $2k for frameset, none when compared to other competitors in that price range. Maybe that the S2 is becoming dated (has been out as the soloist carbon since 2006).

Owned a 2009 Cervelo S2 from May 2010 to early 2012. Paid $1,999 for frameset on sale at Competitive Cyclist (yeah when they used to sell Cervelo's). 2013 S2 MSRP is set at $2k. Back in 2009-2010, they were at least $3,100. Same frame, but pricing has come down because model has been out for awhile and there are better and lighter aero frames now on the market. Back in 2010 I bought the frame because I was curious about the aero-bike frame phenomena. Built the frame up with a mix of dura ace and FSA components. Over the course of 2 years I probably put about 10k miles on the frame as I shared training and racing b/w this frame and another Cervelo frame.

Frame is a very solid performer. BB and front end stiffness is solid. Frame is not super comfortable/compliant for longer rides, but feels good at high speeds and is relatively comfortable for a no-nonsense aero race performer. Considering weight, the frame is probably mid-pack when compared to other 2013 aero frames. Probably considered a bit heavy as compared to other non-aero carbon frames on the market, but is priced accordingly.

One thing that is important to note is that the frame is basically unchanged since the soloist carbon (name prior to S2) was launched back in 2006ish. I think the only thing that is different is the fork and some cable routing changes. In terms of lastest-and-greatest bike technology, S2 is becoming a bit dated (although it was basically the frame that started the whole aero frame craze...yeah that's 7 years ago).

Similar products used include Cervelo S3 and R3. These are both great comparison frames to the S2 because one is Aero (S3) and one is at the same price point (R3). First the S3. The S2 is a bit heavier than the S3 with essientially the same aero profile (eventhough the Cervelo literature states that the S3 is x% more aero with its aero rear end). I will say, that aside from the overall look of the two bikes, the bikes ride very differently. The S3 is a pro-tour high end frame that (with it's narrow seat stays) is comfortable for the long rides/races. It also feels more lively than the S2 when climbing. The S2 is a more in-your-face type of race machine. S3 has been discontinued and replaced by the S5 team or VWD. S3 MSRP is more than twice the 2013 MSRP for the S2. It is not twice the bike. Considering the R3 and the S2, to me is a better comparison. This comparison is aero vs non-aero at the same price point ($2k). S2 feels fast, R3 feels light, but actual race times would be similar. You really can't go wrong with either. And now, 2013's are in the CAAD 10 price point. I personally don't feel that S2's aero profile makes a noticeable difference when compared to the R3 in actual race performance (due to the fact that most races are in a bunch protected from the wind anyway). But if you were going to go on a break, I assume the aero S2 is better. Climbing performance goes to the R3.

One important thing to point out is that the S2 may be the most versatile mid/high-end carbon frame for mass use. If you are going to buy only one bike and want to do triathlons, crits, rr's, TT's century rides, etc....the S2 is a good choice. You can clamp-on a set of aerobars and use the S2/S3 compatible optional 2-postion seat post set at the forward position and your crit bike is now a tt bike and a tri bike. S2 is a serious contender for an all around bike for all types of biking and racing.

Overall, S2/Soloist Carbon is a great/solid performer. It revolutionized the aero road-bike marketplace. If you can pick one up for a good price (look for sale prices), you will not be disappointed. However, and for what it's worth, I since sold my 2009 S2 and 2011 S3 and continue to race/ride a Cervelo R3. I'm over the aero bike phenomena. Traditional bikes just fit my riding style better. If you are considering the S2, don't buy it over a traditional shaped bike, because it is aero, buy it only if you can get a good deal, and only if it fits your riding style (after you test-ride a correct size).

Cervelo S3, R3, R5

[Aug 16, 2012]
dubdryver

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, Responsive, more comfortable than lead to believe.
Top notch frame design and attention to detail

None really, maybe since the S3 is no longer, the S2 should just be replaced to be the S3 instead with the thinner seatstays that resemble that of the R3.

I have had this bike for over a year now. I am mostly a mountain biker (single speed racer), but I appreciate a good riding bike regardless of discipline. Through my purchasing process, I have test rode the Specialized Tarmac SL3, Scott Addict R1, R3 & FOIL 20, Felt AR-3 &F-3, Cervelo R3 & R5 for kicks, and one BMC within the price range (Sub-$5k w/ Ultegra or better). I did not like at all the way the Scott bikes rode...very little compliance. The Cervelo R3 felt good, but I wanted a standard BB, and like the aero advantage of the S2 and versatility of being able to be a tri bike. Having previously been on a LBS race team...I had considerable discounts available to me on Specialized and Scott. The Tarmac SL3 just didn't speak to me what so ever. It did stuff well, but there was no "WOW!!!" factor associated with the ride. It did everything well..and I think the Specialized paint designer needs to be replaced, their schemes have became so uninteresting. Not that I can say the Cervelos look amazing...they speak in other ways. The bike that actually impressed me the most was the ride quality was the Felt F3 which took a lot of weighing tradeoffs. Pure speed and aero advantage of the S2 or road dampening above all else of the F3. In the end, Cervelo maintains resale value, and the speed and versatility of the S2 just made more sense. Upon purchasing, and a RETUL pro fit, it has proven to have been the right choice! The bike has absolutely been problem free, and an absolute pleasure to ride. There is all the "get up and go" you could ask for in acceleration, It climbs well, and it holds its speed well. Crosswinds don't phase it much, but you actually feel it slice through a headwind. Even though it doesn't have the BBRight bottom bracket (a feature I didn't want anyways) it is still incredibly stiff at the BB. The 3T Futura Pro fork dampens well, and the one piece aero post is a set and forget affair.

Because this review is about the S2, I really don't want to elaborate on the components outside the frameset, but it all works in harmony. The Fulcrum 7s are a surprisingly solid OEM wheel, but after a year..I am replacing them with ROL Race SLs based on raving reviews. The Ultegra works...not much else to say.

I apologize about the review being a bit long winded, but I know a lot of people shop and compare, and smaller details mentioned can make the difference in offering a confirmation on what is applicable to the person.

Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale SIX Carbon is what I owned, Bikes demoed mentioned above. My demos were pretty basic but I spend a minimum of 2hr, 20-40mi on each demo bike.

[Jul 24, 2012]
RoadrunnerLXXI

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent aero bike! Very lightweight. Very responsive.

The stock wheels(Fulcrum Racing 7) are heavy at 1855 grams. The Sram Rival rear derailleur's paint scratches very easy. Fizik handlebar tape offers zero cushion from road vibration.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfy with the S2 for the dollar value on being an aero bike. On all of my rides, I have been able to pass all bikers descending on any hills if we both are even at the top and me and the other cyclists just coast. I tested ridden both the S2 and R3 and found the S2 to be quicker climbing hills. Most cyclists feel the R3 is a better climber. I think if you should test ride both bikes and decide for yourself. The Sram Rival RD feels a bit cheap as the paint isn't anodized but painted on. It got scratched just after a few rides after I purchased it from gravels on the pavement. Would like to see it more durable like Shimano's components. However, I do love the doubletap Sram shifter as it makes shifting super fast.