Colnago CLX Road Bike

After a fantastic introduction, CLX, Colnago’s entry level carbon fiber model is back for 2009. Ernesto Colnago created the CLX as an affordable, yet high performance Colnago with an innovative frame design. CLX has a monocoque front triangle, designed and created in Cambiago, Italy as a project of Colnago Lab.

The CLX front triangle has two special external reinforcing ribs along the top and down tubes and bottom bracket and uses a variable carbon lay-up, where extra strength is in the head tube and bottom bracket to provide additional rigidity under stress. CLX features distinctive, arc-shaped rear chain stays for better braking performance and comfort, and rear chain stays in Colnago’s distinctive leaf shape section.

An all new monocoque 1” 1/8 CLX carbon fiber fork and Colnago AERO Carbon seat post that matches the aero section down also grace Colnago’s new CLX.

Colnago’s CLX is the solution for riders that want an affordable, yet high-performance Colnago bicycle. Available in three attractive colors and 8 sloping-only sizes.

[Mar 14, 2016]
john

OVERALL
Strength:

Runs smooth and quiet. Stable in the turns.

none for me.

Bought bike in Sydney 2015/16 2nd hand.My 1st carbon bike , I'm 56 now :(
Was upgraded with Campag Chorus gear.. Was a Shimano man, still prefer the upchange with Shimano, feels firmer but the thumb down change is the best with Campag.. Goes great with the Fulcrum 3 wheels and Vittoria rubber. Great looking bike. If it was all red it would be a Ferrari.

[Oct 08, 2013]
Jorrit

OVERALL
Strength:

Responsive, comfortable fit, handling

None (okay, compared to some other carbon frames it's not the lightest but it's light enough)

This bike was bought as a replacement for a BMC bike i had, that was slightly too small for me. I am so glad i switched to the CLX. The first time i rode it I was sold immediately. It felt like i was in a stealth fighter jet, but then comfy. The handling is so accurate, and the ride is so smooth (also because of the Dura Ace drivetrain) that it gave me an instant feeling of joy. I have been riding a lot more often and have been able to put a lot more power into my riding. It also climbs like a beast. I will ride this bike as long as i can.

[Mar 19, 2010]
Richard Hugo

OVERALL
Strength:

It,s a Colnago carbon frame with excellent value. Build quality, ride quality. looks great, good all round ride. Can be used for racing, and is comfortable enough for all day rides.
Frame is stiff, but comfortable. Stering and handling are superb.

Internal cable routing would be nice.
Not Made in Italy, but few Colnago's are today.

I have owned the CLX for 2 seasons.Purchased the bike from Competitive Cycling on a blowout deal. Took a chance, full durace carbon Colnago for $2800. This bike is my training/do anything/fun ride bike. I enjoy this bike every time I ride it. I also have an extreme C, which I save for special occasions. The CLX is a little heavier, but the ride is so very similar. The CLX is a true Colnago, although not manufactured in Italy. But if i do crash this bike, it's repaceable, my Extreme C is Not.
The finish on the frame is excellent. The style looks very nice. Mine has a Cinelli Ram carbon bar/stem which provides added comfort, and style. The build quality is very good, although it does not have a ti BB insert or ti brake boss insert as per the Ex C. I reviewed a number of magazine articles after purchasing and riding this bike, they just confirmed my own judgement.
When I purchased the Ex C I planned to sell the CLX. Realized quickly, this bike was too good to part with.
I plan to keep this bike in my bike stable for a long time.

Merlin Cyrene 2003 Full dureace
Extreme C 303/Red

[Mar 13, 2010]
redapdes_777

OVERALL
Strength:

Handling, comfort, speed

looks too good

This is a very nice bike. It is quite light, it seems to absorb alot of the bumps, it steers very nice and it's just very comfortable.

Avanti Monza

[Feb 09, 2010]
Vijch

OVERALL
Strength:

seriously for me it's the weight, bt this baby's also very responsive and adapts to the rider's style pretty much most of the time.

my current setup isn't actually the best in the business. perhaps a more aggresive geometry might do it's responsiveness more justice bt wld hv been at the expense of it's uniqueness of its sloping lines.

bought this bike after riding a KHS flite 320 for close to 2.5 years. making the shift to carbon was already a major weight advantage bt boy oh boy can this baby rocket out. I must have hit some unrecorded speeds on my maiden ride couple of nights back. the ride is silky to say the least and this frame is a bonafide all rounder. climbs well and is ultra responsive. listens to your body's ability to draft or push or climb or just roll.I seriusly think a full ultegra gruppo will do this frame justice and the geometry is perfect for a guy who's 1.67cm in height.

KHS flite 320,
BMC SLC01
willier triestina

[Jan 02, 2010]
culebraza

OVERALL
Strength:

Handling, feel, road manners, stiffness.

Maybe weight a bit? But weight isn't everything. Less chatter. If you are that concerned about it for climbs, lose a pound off your body!

The CLX is a great all around ride. If you are looking for a bike that will do it all, this is a great rig. As others say, it is not the lightest frameset in the world, but it isn't supposed to be. It is designed to ride rolleur style, with great manners but also highly responsive and stiff. The Colnago magic here is that mix--it is neither too twitchy nor dead, but just a plain pleasure to ride. On descents, it doesn't do anything unpredictable--it is just an extension of you. The slightly longer head tube and sloping geometry also mean (ever so) slightly upright position, but not quite as much as, say, a Cervelo RS. So it is a great century/long ride bike that you can also most definitely race, if that is your thing. I love this bike.

[Oct 07, 2009]
STS_PA

OVERALL
Strength:

Telepathic handling, Likes to climb yet compliant ride, subdued graphics (for a Colnago), Looks fast standing still.

Proprietary seatpost might be an issue if it needs replacement, Not the lightest or cheapest.

I've put about 1K miles on this frame and have been impressed with my avg speed on a 26 mile hilly course up almost 1 mph. Rides almost as smooth as the Merlin, but is noticably stiffer when hammering. Turns in like a Corvette, but exhibits almost surreal balance and stablity at all speeds. Nice looking machine that even has the guys with C40s/C50s paying compliments.

Merlin Extralight, Alum Pinarello, Steel Fondriest

[Oct 07, 2009]
Jamers

OVERALL
Strength:

the bike is a great climber, swift on the downside of hills very stable, turns on a dime, I have had a hard time finding any weaknesses. The bike is a pure eye catcher and a joy to ride.

the weight might be the only weakness that I can note and that has not been a factor for me. The frame finish os good but the gelcoat may sctach very easy

I have always wanted a Colnago but could not justify $5000.00 for a bike. When the CLX came out i was lookingat the cannodale super six and several others, I rode them all 30 bike in Carbon the CLX stole the show, little heavier than some of the competition, the response and quickness and ride soon over shadowed the minute extra weight. the frame is stiff yet absorbs road noise very well. I chose the white with the black accents and I get compliments constantly. other riders want to check the bike out. I went with the durable ultegra lx groupo instead of dura ace, that is a change for me, a FSA carbon bottom bracket and carbon handle bars, with Mavic ksyriums and look carbon clipless petals. I am looking at adding a set of zip 801 clydales to it next year. I adverage 17 to 18 MPH on a 40 plus ride use to adverage 15 to 16 the bike has improved my riding.

cannodale, giant, lemond, trek, look, scott, pinnarello, specialized all carbon i tested before buying all about in the same price range

[Aug 09, 2009]
garybhunt

OVERALL
Strength:

Killer looks, comfort, frame size selections, grupo,

To many "Colnago decals" less would be more!

My 2009 Colnago CLX Over and above any bike to date I have owned or test rode. Fast, Smooth, and a great bargan for the money...I shopped around...apples 2...Classic Italian styling fused with modern Technology, If you have ever had the opportunity to drive or even ride in a Ferrari there is a feeling of quality and light speed...Its Colnago all the way.

Cannondale, Cervelo, Giant, Serrota,

[Jul 22, 2009]
Thrillho

OVERALL
Strength:

The fit is perfect. The power transmission is highly efficient. The steering is precise. And I have gotten more compliments on it than any other bike I have ever owned.

I guess the only knock on it is that it is not the top of the line from Colnago--so some people view it as an econo-colnago. But that is more a matter of perception (and an ignorant one) than a flaw with the bike.

I just realized that this is both the most comfortable and the fastest road bike I ever owned. I guess that makes it a good bike.

Giant TCR w SRAM Force; Lemond Ti w DA; cervelo prodigy; Lemond steel.