Devinci Sydney Road Bike

Frame Material: aluminum
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: large, medium, small, xsmall
Colors: Unspecified
Tires: 700 x 32c Michelin Transworld

[Apr 28, 2008]
Bicks

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice lightweight frame/fork. Awesome gearing. I routinely blow past "spandex clad leg shavers" out riding their carbon fibre toothpicks.

MADE IN CANADA!!!

The paint is really the only weak point on the bike. Compared to the durability of the paint on my Giant OCR, the Devinci is downright fragile, hence the top tube pad.

I use this bike for commuting and errand running in downtown Toronto. After a year of use, I can safely say that this is a fabulous bike. A true hybrid design with a strange mix of mountain and road components, this bike is fast and the 52T chain ring is a monster! The geometry provides a good "heads up" position for weaving through traffic. While the reduced spoke count made me nervous about rim durability, after a year of potholes I haven't had any troubles. This would be my everyday "go to" bike, but it is a bit flashy looking with it's white paint and carbon fibre bits which makes me nervous locking it up around town.

Marin Muirwoods

[Sep 06, 2005]
phlebas

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, light, maneuverable, nice component package for the price, in 2004 was possibly the perfect fast commuter bike.

Front V-brakes don't open up fully in the narrow carbon fork, very hard to adjust to eliminate squeal. Fenders also hard to install, both front and back, clearance under the V-brakes is a problem. Drivetrain and rims not up to wet winter weather commuting.

I bought this bike to replace my 1988 Kona Fire Mountain, which I had started using again as a commuter in the Spring of 2003. I was looking for something lighter and faster, with a good component package and I got all of that. I have the usual fenders (it rains a lot in Vancouver), pannier rack and lights on it for my 28K round trip commute and it still feels fast and responsive, great for dodging through traffic downtown, keeps up (and overtakes) most other folks on the grind through the causeway and over the Lions Gate Bridge. I take it out for longer rides when I can, including the 13K climb up Cypress Mountain and it just keeps going. I find the flat handlebars a bit uncomfortable on the longer rides and still feel a bit upright on the bike (I guess I'm a wannabe roadie), so I'm looking to change to something like the DeVinci Tosca. I've gone through a lot of components in a little over a year (new rims, new rear hub, two new chains, new cassette, new middle chain ring, endless brake pads) - the rain and road grit in the winter here is quite something, even though I clean the drivetrain out once a week. I can't blame DeVinci for the components, but I sure wish they would hang in longer. The brakes squeal a lot (even in the summer, nothing to do with the rain), a common complaint (see Amsterdam review), but I have got better at adjusting them, note that the 2005 model comes with disc brakes.

1988 Kona Fire Mountain