Felt F5C Road Bike

• Color: Blue
  • High modulus carbon fiber modular monocoque with 12K weave.
  • Felt carbon fiber fork
  • Alex ALX270 wheelset
  • Vittoria Action HSD folding tires
  • Felt micro adjust carbon seatpost
  • Felt 6061 oversized handlebar with ergonomic drop
  • Felt ST 3D-forged stem
  • Felt Race-lite saddle with carbon injected base
  • Shimano Ultegra/105 20-speed shifters and derailleur
  • FSA Gossamer, 2-piece alloy compact crankset with external BB and 7075/T6 CNC alloy 50/34T machined chainrings

• USER REVIEWS

[Nov 20, 2018]
    dananton485

OVERALL
    Strength:

I got the frame and fork online for a great price and just finished building it up. I have the Felt F5C in the 52cm and there is a noticeable reduction in the weight of the frame compared to my previous frame that was made of 7005 alloy. I'm guessing the Felt F5C is about a pound less (I didn't weight it) but there was a noticeable difference. I've been building bikes for years and so far the Felt F5C is really up there in quality build. It's also a very attractive design though I'm not so into all the logo branding but that is my personal taste. Although It's true this frame has aluminum elements within the design if you ask me there is a beneficial trade off for this design feature. Sure maybe there is a little weight added but you get a stiffer bottom bracket with alloy threads, and you don't have to worry about cracking over-torquing your seat tube bolt clamp since the clamp area is alloy. The gain in strength means this is perhaps a better choice for a heavy rider. Perhaps some of you may be hesitant about selecting a carbon frame over other materials. Seems like the Felt F5C would make an excellent choice. For reference, I'm about 205 lbs myself and feel totally confident on this frame and I'm sure it could handle much heavier riders as well. Overall it's like a real solid build. On my set up I'm primarily using a mixture of Record and Centaur 10 speed Campagnolo drive-train which seems to work great. Tires are Continental Grand Prix 700 x 25c. I'm trying to get a hold of the geometry info for this frame series so if anyone has the info please post it.

One issue I found is I had to use a front brake bolt/front caliper on the rear break mount because it is considerably deeper/thicker than a steel or alloy brake bridge. You'll need a longer brake mounting bolt so probably the easiest solution is to mount a front brake caliper on the rear. I actually was able to pull a front mounting bolt off a spare set of calipers, grind it down a little and use it successfully to mount the rear brakes. This could be a specific issue with the rear brake calipers I installed (Cane Creek SL calipers), but for sure it won't take a shorter length bolt like those provided on most rear caliper set ups. You can't solve this by using longer brake allen nuts due to a metal insert/lining within the brake bridge itself. My suggestion would be to use a front caliper brake which has the longer bolt and if needed grind it a little shorter if required. Also I would suggest having a few different lengths on hand of the mounting allen nut to get the fit right. The rest of the build was trouble free. However, as a cautionary note I was able to mount a 25c tire but I'm pretty certain a 28c tire will not work on this frame due to the tight clearance.

Price Paid:
    200 (Frame and Fork only)
    Purchased:
    Used
    Model Year:
    2006
    [Jul 12, 2018]
    Bacon Industry

OVERALL
    Strength:

Bought a 2006 second hand for $500. Best bike I’ve owned. Put some Felt TTR2s on it and it flys.

Nothing. It’s been a work horse. Came off at speed on a hairpin and besides a tiny mark in the paint of the forks it took it like a champ.

Price Paid:
    Purchased:
    Used
    Model Year:
    2006
    [Feb 16, 2010]
    nosfelle

OVERALL
    Strength:

smooth responsive ride

Been riding Colnago for years and decided to pick up this Felt bike as a second weekend ride. This bike has a super smooth and responsive feel. Sure, some weight savings could be achieved with some component upgrades but the bottom line is this bike rides great with the 105/ultegra components that it is originally equipped with. I highly recommend Felt carbon!

Colnago, Trek

[Mar 15, 2009]
    Kirk

OVERALL
    Strength:

It has potential and is a good value for the money. After a couple of changes it became a great bike that I enjoy riding. I had a bad crash a year ago and I'm still riding it today. So something has to be said for the frame.

The weight with all the stock parts. It was like riding with sand bags

The bike is a great alround bike. Its flexible enough to asborb plenty of vibration. But some of the stock parts had to go The handle bars, seat post, seat & 105 components. afterwards the bike became more responsive. I could not believe how much wieght I lost between the handle bar and those stock cranks

I Have riden Specialized, Schwinn, Klien and Fuji

[Oct 18, 2008]
    Tom

OVERALL
    Strength:

Can't think of any.

The bike.

Overall this is a pretty crappy bike. The frame is ultra heavy!! The 56 weighs in at 1400 grams. Thats about 200 grams above the caad 9 (a cheaper and stiffer frame). What is the point of carbon if its heavier than an aluminum or steal bike? The BB isn't stiff. Comes with crappy wheels (option of aksium or alex a270). The front fork has an aluminum feel. Felt has always been considered the equivalent of a dept store name or at best a fuji. Now I know why. Finally, I would never recommend racing on this bike. The carbon is very fragile, and I've noticed not treated right. One crash and that bike will have a carbosion.

[Oct 03, 2008]
    Brad

OVERALL
    Strength:

The whole bike is amazing... It has Shimano 105 shifters and front derailer and an Ultegra rear derailer... It has nice tires, Vittoria and is all around nice..

The wheels are not stiff enough for me, and I feel that im going to seen have to get a new wheelset, especially a new HUB set!! Also I dont really like the BLUE paint over carbon fiber, id prefer it to be see through, but thats cosmetic and in NO way effects it performance... OVERALL IM NOT COMPLAINING!!

Ok, so I LOVE this bike. I recently got it and in 3 months, give or take, i have put maybe 1000 miles onto, and enjoyed every one! The bike is stiff, yet flexible to the point that in a turn you will be streamline with the line your taking. I upgraded from a Fuji Roubaix Pro that I absolutely HATED!!! This bike is a good carbon bike for the money, the frame is only 1350g and is totally around 17.5lbs, and that is very light for a sub 1500 dollar bike!! I have no real complaints and recommend this bike to anyone who is searching for a good carbon entry level bike!!

Fuji Roubaix Pro

[Dec 12, 2007]
    liferider

OVERALL
    Strength:

For the money, I could not find a better bike. The carbon frame is very responsive and snappy to your pedal inputs, yet is compliant over rough roads. Win/win. The geometry feels great although I don't have much to compare it to.

I don't really like the stock handlebars very much, they seem a bit too big. The wheels are heavy and do not have sealed bearings, however this is not a big deal on such a well priced bike...most people end up switching out wheelsets anyways.
    The bike is a bit on the heavy side for a carbon road bike, but lets not fool ourselves here, it is not a top end carbon frame and the components are just mid-grade.
    The seatpost was too short for me (only 250mm) so I had to replace it with a 350mm...which I didn't mind because I want to upgrade this baby :)

I bought this bike brand new on eBay for $960. I couldn't believe the deal I got on this, even for last year's model. When the bike came in the mail I was very happy with the overall appearance and quality. With a few adjustments, I found a great riding position and the bike (60cm) turned out to be a great fit for me at 6'5", 205 lbs.

This is a great riding bike that seems to be discontinued for the 2008 model year. If you can get your hands on any model Felt carbon bike for a good price I suggest you go for a ride and fall in love.

Specialized Allez, Roubaix, Langster
    Giant TCR

[Nov 18, 2007]
    John

OVERALL
    Strength:

The frame semi-compact geometry has a race bike feel. A very strong frame. I had a bad wreck in which was rolling down the road and saw my Felt flipping through the air and literally bouncing down the road....HARD bouncing! I knew my frame was shot, but when I got up and picked my Felt up it was unharmed; although some components were damaged (as was I), I finished the ride! Graphics are in the paint (no over the paint decals). Clear coat finish.

Had to take it into the LBS to have the BB bearing cup threads greased, they started creaking after about 200 miles.
    It's a heavy carbon bike, but for the price not too heavy. It is a modular monoquque frame. This means that it is not a one piece frame. It is assembled from individual monoquque sections - which are where the extra weight comes from. The Gossamer crankset sucks(too heavy). I'll be upgrading to a Carbon crank and that will shave some weight. The Bottom Bracket could be stiffer. The carbon seatpost gave out at 1000 miles. The top (metal) came loose from the carbon post. I spent an afternoon re-engineering it....luckily I'm a machinist.

Fantastic bike! Rides smooth, like riding a stick of butter. This bike replaced my Giant OCR2. The component group is decent but by spending a few extra bucks I've upgraded to ultegra brakes and Botrager race lite wheels. These upgrades lightened the bike up somewhat and I have great braking power. The frame is relatively stiff not as stiff as Orbea’s but then again it’s $1000 less than the Orbea Onix.

Orbea Onix, Giant OCR, Giant Perige.

[Oct 01, 2007]
    France

OVERALL
    Strength:

Carbon Fiber Frame, Light weight, Good components, and looks great

Limited to one color. I like blue but Felt could be a little more creative and have some options.

I was a long time mountain biker and this is my first road bike. For the price I paid as well as the components and frame I find this bike is totally awesome. The carbon frame truly gives you a smooth ride on rough road.

[Sep 13, 2007]
    DAK

OVERALL
    Strength:

All carbon frame for under $2000. Smooth ride. Awesome to decent components. Responsive.

OK, so ALL of the components aren't Durace, but that doesn't mean you're not getting an above average bike at a great price.

I'm a mountain biker who's gotten in to road riding, lately. I replaced an old all-aluminum frame road bike with this all carbon one and couldn't be happier

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.