Flyte Defiant Road Bike

» Aerospace grade, cold-worked 3Al / 2.5V seamless titanium tubing.
» NEW 1 1/8" oversized (Non-Integrated Style) externally and internally CNC machined head tube
» Optimal size specific tubing (Larger diameter tubing used on larger size frames).
» RADX 17.0mm RADIALLY curved and tapered seat stays
» RADX 22.mm RADIALLY curved, tapered, and ovalized chainstays
» Welded Water Bottle Bosses; Flyte uses welded bosses NOT alloy pop-rivets.
» CNC machined and sculpted seatstay bridge.
» CNC machined & slotted integrated shifter cable guides with 8-point detent.
» Three-Tone Velocity Paint ® with Naked Ti Rear Triangle
» Asymmetrically CNC machined 68mm English threaded bottom bracket with tapered edges.
» CNC machined sculpted 7mm thick titanium dropouts.
» Frame Utilizes 27.2mm Seat Post Diameter / Recommended Length = 350mm
» Frame Utilizes 31.8mm / 1 ¼” Front Derailleur Clamp

Price: $899 frame only

[Jul 05, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Price and ride quality

Can't get them anymore!

While shopping for this bike, I noticed that Flyte was selling new frames on ebay for a great discount. I emailed Dan @ Flyte and he answered all my questions, so I ordered one. I received it within a week and I though it looked better in person than on the website.

At the same time, I ordered an Ultegra build kit with an FSA SLK compact crank and Ouzo Pro fork. The kit came quickly, but noticed I was given an Ouzo Comp fork instead! Colorado Cyclist allowed me to exchange the fork and I quickly got the bike together with the help of a friend.

After a year, I have no complaints about this bike. The bike is light, rides super smooth and climbs great. I’d recommend it to anyone…..except you can’t get them anymore!

Soon after I purchased my bike, Flyte went out of business.

[May 30, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, comfort, handling, value

Overall, I am extremely pleased with my Flyte Defiant, it is exactly what I wanted and an unbeatable value. I'll be dialing up Flyte again if I ever need another bike.

Details:
Ordering was easy, the ability to fully customize components is one of the things I like best about Flyte (when I bought my Airborne tri bike I found out that other manufacturers do NOT offer this flexibility). Big thanks to Flyte for continuing the military discount program that they started under Airborne.

It took a couple more weeks than I expected to get the bike because my frame size was out of stock, but in the end it arrived before the updated ship date estimate. Big kudos to the delivery guys (DHL)--they actually called me the morning it was to be delivered and asked exactly when I wanted it to arrive--and they delivered it within 5 minutes of my requested time. Packaging is excellent, no worries about damage.

I wasn't crazy about the Defiant graphics as they looked on the web site, but the bike looks very sharp "in person" (nice welds too), I love it. It would be cool if they offered an unpainted "stealth" option though, maybe with some cool understated laser etching?

Assembly was easy except for swapping out seats, that @$%-ing seat clamp is not a very user-friendly set-up (thanks to Dan for emailing instructions, though it is a little silly that a special tool is almost required). But I was up and riding pretty quickly.

Did my first longer ride soon after a couple of short test rides in the first week I had the bike. Fit seemed to be perfect, I actually did not have to make a single adjustment from my initial guess on seat/seatpost position. The ride was silky smooth and the handling is awesome.

After almost 1000 miles of riding, I continue to be very pleased with my Defiant. The bike is very comfortable, stable, and smooth (more so than my Airborne X-1 TT bike, especially in turns, descents, and on rough pavement). Climbing and accelerating may be a hair less responsive than on my X-1, as I'd expect because I think the X-1 frame has greater stiffness, but this bike still climbs very well (ahh, titanium!) [Note that Flyte rep Jason helpfully explained that the Arsenal frame would be stiffer as it is more of a race bike, and I specifically chose the Defiant instead; I wanted a long ride training bike, not a race bike].

The 50-34 compact cranks with 11-23 work very well, no shifting problems and the ratio range has been sufficient for some very hilly rides (no triple required). I have ridden with roadie groups where everyone has $5000+ bikes, and I have NO bike envy (and I enjoy the satisfaction of dropping guys riding Serottas with $1000 wheels :).

The weight, fit, function, and feel of this bike are exactly what I wanted for a road training bike. And, of course, I got all this (18 lb Ti bike w/ full Ultegra) for just over $2K, an unbeatable value.

[Apr 27, 2006]
Michael W. Jones

OVERALL
Strength:

Light. Beautiful. Handles downhills and corners very well (a friend recenly commented "your cocky on the downhills"), but I don't feel like I'm being cocky...it just handles it well.

No Flyte dealers near where I live.

Easy to order. Easy to set up. Absolutely awesome bike. I live in Cannondale country, but I'm turning heads and getting questions...we may become Flyte country yet!

Trek, Fuji

[Mar 21, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

custom options
geometry
ride quality
fit

me

Simply put, this is MY bike! Spec, click, ride, it doesn't get any better than this. I've owned some great ti bikes, but the Defiant is heads above the rest. I was able to customize this bike to suit my needs, riding style, and component preferences. First and foremost, the geometry is dead on. The bike rolls down the road with a delicious smoothness, yet it is adequately stiff when I drop the hammer. It handles beautifully, almost neutral, meaning it's not too twitchy nor too lazy. At 17.75 lbs, it is light enough for the climbs I train on, and descends with aplomb. I'd like to compliment Jason on his advice by guiding me through selecting between two sizes. He nailed the fit perfectly. This bike performs better than my Litespeed, and smokes the OCLV I previously owned. Pure bliss!

2004 Lemond Arrivee Ti
2004 Trek OCLV
2005 Airborne Zeppelin Ti
2005 Litespeed Firenze Ti

[Oct 31, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and stiff with a supple ride on bad roads. The Ultegra Triple is just what the doctor ordered for my aging engine. Attention to detail on the finish is great. Customer service was great.

None so far. Only suggestion would be to offer a bare frame as well as the painted version.

After moving back to Texas about 2 years ago I started looking for something to take the chip seal roads better than my CADD 5 C'Dale R2000. I also wanted to go to a triple chain ring to compensate for the additional years on the engine since I had ridden the Hill Country rides last. I visited all the LBS close by and test rode several steel and carbon bikes. I spent a lot of time in the bike forums only to get more confused by the hour. I remembered looking at an Airborne at the LBS in Marietta, GA several years ago and went online to find more info only to find out that Airborne had ceased to exist basically overnight between August 31 and September 1. I emailed Flyte and got the story on what had happened. Over the next month I purchased an SRS 2 aluminum with carbon stays from Flyte. Rode it, liked it but it was not what I really wanted. Called Flyte and spoke with Jason and Dan and explained, they recommended I return the SRS 2 and go with the Defiant. No hassles, no questions asked. I did so and got the Defiant about 2 weeks later. Flyte helped me through every step from measuring to deciding on what components to go with. I am absolutely thrilled with the fit and the feel of the bike. I have been riding about 13 years and this is the first time that I can say I feel like my bike is a natural extension of my body. Took it out for the first longer road ride yesterday and got a good taste of how it feels on the chip seal roads and broken pavement. I cannot believe the difference from my old aluminum frame. I can truly say this bike will keep me coming back for more and more. Overall I couldn't be happier with both the shopping experience and the bike itself. The guys at Flyte were great to deal with and probably got really tired of all the questions but remained calm and walked me through it. I will be spreading the good word for them (and no I am not a shill, just a very happy customer).

2001 Cannondale R2000 SI, 1992 Trek 1200