Franco Bicycles Balcom 6.0 UL Road Bike

Unlike Dura Ace, Ultegra is not glamorous; it is utilitarian. We respect its blue-collar appeal. Hype can follow Dura Ace while Ultegra simply does its job finishing centuries, setting PRs and winning races. Complete bike includes a complimentary Retul 3D Fit.

[Oct 28, 2013]
Glen

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, stiff and nice handling

I have had my Balcom for over 3 years. When I first saw an add in Road Bike Action magazine I had one ordered within a months time. I really liked many of the features that showed lots of thought went into this frameset, integrated seat mast, cable routing through the head tube, and the availability of their endurance geometry. I'm 5'11" 170 lbs and I ride a 54cm endurance, this allows better bearing support and stiffness with a clean look without inches of spacers under my stem. My complete bike with pedals, water bottle cages and computer weighs 15.4 lbs. This is built up with an older Ultegra kit without the handlebar wrapped shift cables which I prefer for the smooth cable runs through the head tube (no paint wear from cable rub-brilliant). This bike has helped me set numerous KOMs on Strava due to its great power transfer and stiff responsive steering. I get zero chain rub on my front derailleur under full out sprints with my Fulcrum carbon crankset. That is a first for me and it goes to show how stiff the bottom bracket area is. I was not a big fan of all black bikes but Franco did an excellent job with the graphics on their frame, understated and sophisticated, I love it! I'm not sure if they are offering the integrated seat mast anymore as all the pictures I see lately have the standard seat post setup but I love the integration. I didn't but this frame worrying if it would fit the next guy I bought it for the best performance for me period. I also love the clamp on front derailleur versus a riveted braze on mount, it is much stiffer, offers better adjustability and does not fatigue over time. Trust me on this one.
I really can't say enough good things about this framset. I was able to deal with Julian Franco himself when I ordered my bike and he was beyond helpful. How many of you Specialized Tarmac owners got to speak to Mike Sinyard when you bought your bikes? My bike looks brand new even after three years of use, I still put it in my living room occasionally so I can admire it (its got great lines that puts most other frames to shame).