Fuji Bicycles Marseille Road Bike

Tires: 700 x 23c Hutchinson Reflex

[May 07, 2016]
Mad Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Craig Calfee design for Fuji has classic English geometry that just looks great to this day. The Reynolds 853 steel frame has just enough flex to be forgiving on long distance century rides. Bike Magazines "Bike of the Year" award winner back in the day.

Getting hard to find original replacement parts for the Shimano 9 speed Ultegra 7800 group.

2014 Craigslist purchase for $500. Bike had been sitting since the day it was purchased in 2001. Don't think it had 50 miles total on it. Chain still had the old school cosmoline grease it and it was still clean. Broke her down and cleaned her. Was tempted to upgrade to a Ultegra or Dura Ace 10 or 11 speed group but kept the stock 9 speed 7700 series. Glad I did because it's a great group. Replaced the wheelset with a red anodized Fulcrum 7 set that looks killer. New Performance Ronan racing saddle, Ritchy Pro carbon seatpost, Pro carbon stem, and Pro carbon Ergo bar. This is my distance century bike so I put on a set of Profile Design clip on aero bars. I now have over 4000 miles on her. Great all around affordable bike build for about $1500.

[Apr 25, 2009]
cigarjack

OVERALL
Strength:

Dependable, handles well and comfy enough to enjoy the ride

Not self cleaning. The stock saddle is horrible, but aren't they all?

This is for a 2003 steel frame Marseille that has been the most trouble free bike I've ever owned. Thousands of miles over the years and the only problem has been a pulled spoke nipple and had to replace the rear rim. The Ultegra components have been flawless. Every shift is smooth and sure. The steel frame isn't the lightest but it's comfortable and very stable. A great trainer or every day ride.

Peugeot, Motobecane, Trek

[Feb 22, 2008]
notoriousdjw

OVERALL
Strength:

reasonably light, great ride, comfortable, almost as fast as a true race rig, great classic look

a little flex and a bit of instability on fast mountain downhills

This is for the 853 steel version of the Marseille. I purchased this bike because long rides on my Klein Quantum Pro were beating me up. I wanted to the the supposedly great ride of steel and this bike was priced right at my LBS (Performance). After one ride I put away the Klein and have ridden it less than 300 miles in the past 5 years compared to over 10,000 on the Marseille. It is fairly light (19.5 in 58cm) and though a bit flexy it still seems to carry a high average speed. The bike has done numerous Mountains of Misery century rides as well as other long rides and always leaves me feeling good at the end of the day. Acceleration is a bit slower than the Klein or any good race bike but otherwise it rocks. I still run original wheels and all components except for a new compact crank.

Klein Quantum Pro, Fuji Team, Specialized Allez

[Jun 04, 2005]
datunney

OVERALL
Strength:

smooth ride light weight GREAT FUJI warrantly support!

broken steel frame

I orignally had a 2002 model (steel frame) that I used for my daily 35 mile commute. After 2 seasons, the steel frame cracked at the bottom bracket. Fuji replaced the frame under warranty with the 2004 version. At first I wasn't happy with the aluminum frame (wanted steel again) but over time and miles and continued commuting, I have come to like the light weight and excellent ride. The 2002 had a carbon fork so maybe its the carbon fork plus carbon seat stays on the 2004 that make the alumimum ride smooth. Overall, very happy with the bike/frame and Fuji's support!

Giant, Fuji

[Feb 14, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, handles well through tight turns, great hill climber.

The geometry is kind of tight and a good back strech is needed from time to time.

This is a very fun Bike. The first week I got it I rode it for about 100 miles. It is great on the hills up and down. It is lightweight and pretty smooth.

My dads 21 year old cannondale.

[Oct 04, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light... Stiff, but with mods, very resilient. Looks pretty nice when clean.

paint chips easily... Industrial welds are semi-ugly, though intuitively it seems better to leave them alone, rather than grind them to a smooth finish.

This is a follow-up to an earlier review... Now have many miles on my Fuji Marseille, including 4 centuries. After up-grading the wheels (Mavic Cosmos), the Saddle (Terry Fly), and seat post (Forte' Carbon), I am super-pleased! So... If you keep an eye out, you can find the Marseille, or the Team at your LBS, and with the addition of a nice set of wheels, saddle and seat post, you will have a great bike for under $2K.

[Jul 31, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff frame, good for climbing; carbon stays and fork, good for comfort. If you can find a cheaper, faster, more comfortable bike for what I paid, God bless you...

Original wheels were weird... Whenever I got out of the saddle on the hills I had to look back to see if my tire was going flat... Not good. Upgrading the wheels made the bike a $1,600 value... still good, but annoying nonetheless. (the reason for a 4-star value rating) Of course, if you are not a Clyde, then maybe the Ritchie wheels will work well for you...

Have had the bike for about 3 months... Traded up from a Cannondale Adventure 400 (Hybrid), and I am extremely pleased. My riding speed went from 14+mph to 17+mph over a 65-mile route I like to use. When riding the Cannondale, I used to take aspirin for shoulder pain... not required on the Fuji. The only upgrades were a new set of Mavic Cosmos wheels, and a Terry Fly saddle... I highly recommend both. Have only been a roadie for 3 months, and am approaching the 18 - 20mph+ of the local bike club 'A' riders, and I am a trim (195lb) 50-year old... I suppose if I were to stop my cyclometer at stop lights I might have a better ave speed. I also do most of my riding alone - drafting is cheating!

None...