GT Bicycles Inc. GTR Series 1.0-5.0 Road Bike

Road Racing
Whether you’re just riding for pleasure or competing in a sanctioned race you want performance. All the bikes in the GT pavement category are designed and engineered by people that love road riding and road racing. It’s one of the reasons we live in SoCal… year ‘round road riding! If you’re a “roadie” that wants one of the purest racing machines out there, then check out the GT-R series. With the new Superlight GT designed road frames and the best components available, you will be in the driver’s seat in the peloton

[Aug 08, 2013]
Rob

OVERALL
Strength:

price

Wheels (Jalco)
Tires (Schalbe Lugano)

This is my first road bike, but I come from a XC mtb background. It is therefore hard for me to judge this frame and compare it to other brands in terms of comfrot and handling. The head tube seems an exageration when comparing to my mate's bikes - they ride top level Scotts, Pinas, Wiliers.Supposedly this makes the GT R S 3 more of a touring/comfort frame.

The wheels are by far the worst set I have seen. Out of the box the back one needed truing. First week one spoke went. Three weeks later another spoke and the following the third spoke. I then got a set o shimano RS 10 which are far far far better.

The other poor thing are the stock tyres. I use Schwalbe mtb racing tyres and the Lugano are my first entry level set from this famous brand. They pick up debris, glass and even tiny sand grains like a sponge sucks up water. They were replaced by Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres which have much more grip and are far more resistant to thorns and glass.

One other item a changed were the brakes. I got a set of Tiagra which are slightly more efficient though I expected more. Perhaps Shimano 105 would have made a greater difference. The pads on the stock brakes got several tiny bits of aluminium stuck in them. these could have come from the rims.

The compact chainset seems OK for me, used to mtb lower gear ratios. The smaller chain ring on the FSA crankset started getting rust spots within about 6 months. I leave and ride near the sea, but other steel chain rings I own did not rust as fast.

The Tiagra geras and shifters seem fine for the price level. The shifters could be one bit narrower and therefore more comfortable. The surprising thing is theat the derraileur took just over a year to require some minor adjustment. The only other time I adjusted it was when the bike arrived at my door. I ride it between 2-5 times a week and rides vary from 1h30min to 4h in all sorts of conditions including heavy rain and sandy roads by the beach. The only maintenance is a fortnightly clean and lube.

Bottom line - a good bike for first time road cyclists.

[Jun 19, 2013]
Sean

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike is light, solid and responsive. It's my first road bike and I got it new for $600. This 2012 GT Series 3 model has the Shimano Tiagra levers and derailleurs that work great. I didn't think this would be much of an upgrade from the Sora, but now I see the difference with being able to shift from either hand position. Tires are very solid!! No flats thus far and I've logged over 300 miles in Chicago.

Rims are not the best. Had issues with them remaining true, but seems to have been a minor issue.

Great bike for the money.

[Oct 15, 2012]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

A lot of the best things on the more expensive bikes in this series are simply carried down.

The wheelset.

GT GTR Series 5.0. I've had this bike for 4 months. I chose the Series 5 with plans to upgrade my components on my own time with stuff I already had lying around. First I wanted to see what annoyed me the most. The frame is fantastic. Everything is solid and quiet. Surprisingly, I really love the microshift shifters too, and I thought that would be the first thing to go before the bike arrived. I think I'm going to actually keep them -- only an 8-speed cassette, but they seem more comfortable than the 105 shifters I have.

I must mention the wheels. I weigh 185lbs, and I put some miles on the stock wheels out of sheer curiosity. They are very heavy, but I was hoping that might mean they were also very tough. Nope. They were actually round when they arrived (surprisingly), but they were definitely warped and required spoke tweaking to get them off the brake pads. More spoke tweaking after every ride. The spokes are something like a 1.8mm STRAIGHT GAUGE. Really, GT? Pop a spoke, and your LBS probably won't even be able to find you a replacement spoke. You have to replace broken ones with 2mm spokes, replacing the nipple too. That's exactly what I did, until I broke a 2nd spoke. Then I threw the wheels in my scrap pile. I put on my Pure Aero wheelset from bicycle wheel warehouse, and they transformed this bike into something fearsome. It feels like a much more expensive bike. I'd totally recommend getting the series 5 and finding some wheels for it over getting the series 1 or 2 and blowing that same money on shifters that won't help you much... just my opinion.

[Aug 18, 2012]
Ken Jones

OVERALL
Strength:

Its lightweight for the money. Its a great climber. Handles extremely well.

Compact Crank Set and ALX200 Wheelset

Let me start of with a qualifying statement.. I'm relatively new to the road bike scene and have only had experience with a handful of bikes. That said, this bike is awesome. I purchased my 2012 GT GTR Series 2 from BikesDirect and couldn't be happier. The suggested retail on the GT Site is 1400 and I got mine for 899 (no tax or shipping costs). I'm fairly mechanically inclined so the final setup after shipping was a breeze. The first thing I noticed on my very first ride was how magnificent the frame is. Its 6061 AL and stiff as can be, but some how doesn't rattle my bones like other AL frames I've owned. It also handles well - especially on descents. The components are Shimano 105 Shifters and Rear Derailleur and Tiagra Front Derailleur and 10 ring cassette. The crank is FSA compact 39/53. One minor issue is one I have with the crank... I've never used a compact crank on a road bike before and I have trouble finding a "cruising speed" with the gears available. Its not really a problem per se.. maybe just a personal preference. At any rate, I thought it was worth mentioning.

This is essentially my first race bike and for all its positive qualities, the frame definitely tops the list. It feels like a frame that will get better as I get better. And as always, the components can be swapped as I get more comfortable and want to start shaving weight. You can't go wrong with one.

Oh.. and the Wheels suck.. get new ones.

Diamondback Podium, Trek 1.1, Fuji (not sure of type).

[Mar 11, 2012]
Phil

OVERALL
Strength:

Valuw
Comfortable due to carbon stays and forks
Sturdy Frame
Ultegra components, decent wheelset

Could be stiffer

This review is for a 2010 GT series 1 with Ultegra components and a Mavic Askium wheelset. Currently I have replaced the stock saddle with a Selle Italia saddle for comfort reasons and Krysium Elites when I race. I picked up the bike during the Fourth of July sale on performance in the summer of 11' and have ridden over 2,000 miles on it so far. This was my first road bike I purchased and as a college student with limited funds I was looking for the most bang for my buck, and I found it with this bike. At $1040 purchasing this bike was akin to buying the groupset by itself with a free frame, wheelset, and saddle attached and performance wise it has served great. The bike is under 20 lbs without pedals as it comes and is decently stiff, you get a good power transfer between you and the bike but due to the carbon seat stays and fork still gives you a comfortable ride. I've ridden a century comfortably on this bike and have plans to do more endurance riding when the summer comes around. The bike's geometry is such that you can keep the stem above the highest spacer and ride upright or you can slam it down for a much more agressive style of riding. With the compact crankset you have plenty of gearing for even the most challenging of climbs and it is quite stable when descending at excess of 45 mph. The askium wheelset, while not the lightest, have served quite well as training wheels and have taken the beating of Indiana roads fraught with potholes and cracks without going out of true as of yet. The frameset seems to be quite durable, after 2 crashes I can hardly tell anything has happened other than the bartape was torn up and needed to be replaced. As an entry level road racer I can tell that at this point any faults during the race are because of the rider, not too much because of the bike at this point. And if you do start getting the itch to upgrade you have a full ultegra (minus the brakes) groupset and you can always transfer the components over if you get a new framset rather than purchasing a whole new bike. From a value and performance mindset I would definitely recommend this bike to anyone who isn't worried about having a bike from a "lesser" company that isn't a Trek, Giant, Cannondale, etc because the bike will serve you well and there is no reason that you can't keep up with the boys on their carbon bikes, if you've the heart and commitment you'll be riding alongside with them and knowing that you saved a bunch in the bank. While I do acknowledge that I will be looking to upgrade sometime in the future, for your new cyclist or someone looking for performance at a good value you can't beat this. Unfortunately it looks like GT might have discontinued the series 1 bike, at least with Ultegra, they now have it outfitted with Sram Rival, another quality groupset. All in all it's a good bike with great components that will serve you well and has good components on it if you want to build up another frameset. If you're a person who really wants to try your hand in racing this is not a bad bike if you don't have another to ride but if you do you may want to consider holding out and saving up for something stiffer like a CAAD 10 which will serve you better in Crits than this bike, its in situations like that where I wish the frame was stiffer but the rider can always get stronger.
Summary:
Great Value, good bike, you will enjoy the ride and the savings, and if you want to race you may want to hold out a bit longer

Cannondale R400

[Mar 01, 2012]
Samadhi

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Frame. Sram Apex Derailluers and shifters. Decent wheels. Handles well. Fast. Lightweight.

Not the most comfortable saddle (Fizik Pave CX). Cassette should have been a 12/28 and not a 12/25.

2011 GTR Series 2 - Very good bike for the money ($800). Derailuers are awesome. Fast bike that handles well, Nicely appionted with SRAM dereailuers and shifterns Mavic wheels, flat-blade spokes, Ritchey stem, bars and seatpost. Not a bad choice for my first road bike in 40 years.

[Sep 24, 2011]
Rod

OVERALL

Breaks or the pads. I replaced mine with a Ultegra breaks to make a full ultegra.

Smooth ride, Great components to match!

[Jul 05, 2011]
Paul from Orlando

OVERALL
Strength:

I have a bike built for under a $900 well under 20 lbs that rides like a champ, picked up VUELTA CORSA LITE rimes with Vittoria Kevlar tires, for $240.00 new for all at nashbar, a Q2 157 g carbon post for $22.00 off ebay, and I am using crank bros eggbeater pedals, I tried a few bikes from the lbs and to get this performance I would be at almost 2k, just love it, shifting and breaks will have to do for now as I was looking for performance and shifters dont make a bike faster, breaks do what they need to do as they will stay for a bit as well

stock parts are fillers on entry bikes, the stock wheels weren't true out of the box and I worked on them a few times before replacing them, the alex 500 wheels with formula hubs are at 1972 grams for the pair

have had the bike for a few months now and have always tinkered with bikes as I have a full xtr Rocky Mountain mtb with all the goodies on it, I just got into riding on the road and this caught my eye for the looks and price to get started, I have changed a few parts so far as I am sure you are curious about weight as I have scaled most of the parts for this

stock parts,
seat 340 grams (new seat 283g)
seat post 386 grams(new post 157g)
stem 152 grams (new stem 126g)
front wheel 860 less the skewer (new 681g)
rear wheel 1112 less the skewer and cogs (897g)
skewers @ 80 grams each
cassette 288 grams
tires 362 grams (new 240g)
tubes 78 grams reused

specialized allez
Giant DEFY

[Jun 23, 2011]
BumbleBeeRider

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, Good Geometry, Responsive, Fast, Handles Well

Subpar stock brakes

I've been cycling for about four years now; primarily on a hybrid, so the GT GTR Series 1 is my first road bike and I'm completely blown away. This bike is light, responsive, and handles really well. It has reenergized my desire to ride. Since I purchased this bike, I now average about 75 miles a week in the saddle.

From what I've been able to tell thus far, this bike is better constructed than most bikes in the same price range. The Rival components are precise and very smooth. I upgraded the brakes to Sram Rival since I was informed the stocks brakes were subpar. I also swapped out the Vittoria Rubino for a pair of yellow Michelin Pro 3 to match the colors in the bike and quickly realized they allowed the bike to ride faster.

[May 17, 2011]
Jason

OVERALL
Strength:

$$$(you can't beat it, smooth ride.

Entry level.

I have just started out training for tri's. I made the choice to but this bike because of price, looks, and it wasn't a trendy brand. I love the ride, handling, and overall feel of the bike. Can't wait to race in my 1st tri in June.

N/A