Jamis Eclipse Road Bike

• FRAME: Carbon fiber top tube, seat tube & seatstays, Reynolds 853 seamless air-hardened down tube, extended head tube with reinforced collars, heat-treated cromo chainstays.
  • FORK: Easton EC70, carbon fiber blades, alloy steerer.
  • HEADSET: FSA Orbit X, threadless, 1 1/8”.
  • WHEELSET: Mavic Ksyrium Equippe 700C wheelset, 20/24H SUP rims, QRM sealed cartridge/FTS-L hubs, straight pull stainless steel spokes.
  • TIRES: Hutchinson Fusion Comp, 700 x 23C, Kevlar.
  • DERAILLEURS: Campagnolo Centaur rear short, Centaur 28.6mm band clamp front.
  • SHIFTERS: Campagnolo Centaur ErgoPower, 20 or 30-speed.
  • WEIGHT: 18.25 lbs

• USER REVIEWS

[Mar 16, 2019]
    titomambo

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very predictable handling and an overall pleasant road feel.

None so far (5yrs)

Purchased:
    Used
    Model Year:
    2004
    [Jul 19, 2016]
    NinjaCycler

OVERALL
    Strength:

Comfortable, Quick & Fast, Gorgeous (Voted 2007 Sexiest Bike of the Year by something that rolls up), Nimble, Lightweight, Connected to the Road & Feel it in a Good Way, and most importantly to me; RESPONSIVE!

- Paint Chips (Hope it's not lead).
    - Fizik Seat is next level garbage.

I have no bikes to compare this to other than my mountain bike which is on road tires and has an Zocchi fork instead of a carbon.

I am 125 pounds and ride the streets of NYC. This bike is amazing. I originally bought a 2005 version to compete in the NYC tri and didn't want to use my mountain bike. I wanted a big boy bike. So I got this and outfitted it with some tri-aero bars and I was out.

It was great for training but amazing for the race. I passed everyone and their grandmother although I was towards the middle of the pack when released so that may not be saying much. That was when a few years (nine years) ago and when I was on adrenaline.

Fast forward to 2016 without adrenaline and I'm taking the bike out again for the first time in years. The Campy components are amazing - Centaur 10 and ultra precise and very smooth, you can change slide through the entire cassette in three shifts and the click feedback is an excellent touch. I prefer over Shimano any class.

The frame (853 Reynolds Chromoly and Carbon) - I like to eat with my hands and ride as if my feet were the tires and this lets me feel it. I feel everything in and on the road in a smooth continuous line. The carbon is placed in just the right places (the newer models are strictly steel) and soaks up a lot of micro-vibrations and even a decent amount of the sucker punches from potholes.

The saddle (Fizik Pave) I hope who ever designed the Fizik Pave trips on a gum wrapper.

Components - I bought this off eBay and it's now clear to me they tried to make this size work for someone much taller. The cranks and cassettes and wheelset are Shimano but the rest of the components are Campy. It's slipping gears but none of this has to do with the bike's performance, just the current setup. I currently have 175mm Shimano 105 cranks with WH-R600 wheels. It's still quick with this crazy setup and my cranks being 10mm too long (switching). The 39/53 crank is hellacious to turn over and achieve a real full-speed.

Under the current setup I don't feel very confident in taking high speed turns. I feel like the wheels may slip away from me and when I brake heavy the rear swings out.

I'll leave an updated review once I switch some parts out. This review won't do the Jamis Eclipse justice.

[Jun 07, 2009]

OVERALL
    Strength:

This bike is very smooth and quick for a performance bike. If I wanted a racing bike I'm sure I would've gone with an actual racing road bike. But, with that being said I think this bike might actually be faster than a lot of racing bike that are out their and could actually pass as one as it is stock. I noticed very little vibration over rough roads, and actually had to cross a couple of railroad tracks and rumble strips, I could barely feel them. The FSA crankset that came stock on this bike was very smooth and the wheels are pretty strong, smooth rollers for being as low in the mavic totem pole as they are.

I did have a few problems with the seat like many seem to who have carbon seatposts because you are not supposed to overly tighten the seat clamp. After about 60 miles of riding my seat actually managed to slowly lower about 3 levels. The fizik saddle was very uncomfortable for what it is. And the bar tape was unwrapped by the time I made it home. Over all I'd say it's a great bike but you really need to make sure all the minor things are secured properly before riding.

Full Ultegra 10 Speed components, FSA 50-34 compact carbon crankset, Fizik saddle, richey bars stem and seatpost, Mavic Equippe Wheels. Silver. 55cm.

I have only rode this bike one time since bringing it home, but it was a long 70.4 mile ride through rolling hills and 25Mph winds.

Cannondale Synapse Alloy

[Sep 02, 2008]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light weight, great ride, traditional look, overall ride and cornering, Fizik Saddle, Ritchey Pro bars

None so far.

While doing some research into the next road bike purchase for me I found an article in Bicycling Magazine that discribed a bike frame made of titanium and carbon tubing by IF. The price tag was not in my budget but I was convinced this sort of materials combination would be ideal. While shopping at my local bike shops and online I found a bike shop selling the last of the remaining Jamis Eclipse 2007 model at a greatly reduced price. The combination of Reynolds 853 and carbon fiber tubing in a traditional looking frame makes for a great ride and a really cool, head turning bike. The Eclipse is relatively light weight (approx 18lbs 59cm frame). The frame is stiff enough for sprints and standing on the peddles going up hills and yet very compfortable for long miles in the saddle. The Easton EC70 carbon fiber fork and steerer smooth out the road bumps nicely. Steel has always been known for ride quality but the combination of materials gives the bike some edge and snap. I really like the way the bike carves out corners at high speeds. I have yet to find a weakness in the ride itself. It came with Ultegra drivetrain and brakes except for the FSA Compact Carbon crannkset. This was just what I was looking for. With so many bike manufactures making fat tubed carbon bikes anymore with a little head wind I will be ahead of the pack.

[Nov 15, 2007]
    BlueJay66

OVERALL
    Strength:

Looks, Wheels, Campy Components, Comfort of ride.

Not solid in high speed turns. Paint.

I love my Jamis. I got back into riding by doing 1000 miles in 2005 and then bought this in November of 2005. I have had it for 2 years now and have put over 7000 miles on it. It is a very comfortable ride. I rode a 400 km (250 miles) brevet in June over 20 hours and felt great. It is a great bike for long rides. I have hammered on some 25 mile training rides, but am not comfortable at high speeds in the turns. It seems to come a little unbalanced at the front wheel. It could be the Aero bars that make it unstable. I agree about the paint. My bike shop owner has given me great service. I have never ridden aluminum or all carbon. But I really like this bike. The components are very nice. Wheels have been bombproof for me so far. I got through the seat issues after 200 miles. I have considered switching to a Brooks for my long rides, but have not done it. I was able to lose 40 lbs by riding this bike. I am at 190 now. It is a little bit flexy, but it is comfortable. I think I could lose another 20 next summer. I just have to lay off the cookies. Great Bike...Great Ride

[Oct 30, 2007]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Frame delivers the feeling of steel while remaing light and nimble.

I like the Campagnolo Chorus components over the Shimano Ultegra stuff that usually appears on a bike at this price point.

1) I agree that the painwork is very fragile.

2) The Fisik saddle feels like riding on a brick. I replaced it with a Bontrager Race Lite Lux.

3) Hutchinson Fusion Comp tires have flattened twice in less than 200 mi. I'm replacing them with Hutchinson Fusion Long Distance ones that I hope have better puncture resistance.

After riding various Specialized, Trek, and Bianchi bikes in about the

same price range (typically higher), I am very happy with my choice of

this bike.

I've only put about 200 mi. on it in the few days that I've had it, but compared to the others, it feels like a lightweight version of my old Trek frame made of Reynolds 531 tubing. It is very smooth riding with none of the harshness of aluminum frames, but it gives me a good feel for the road unlike the wooden feeling of carbon ones.

Although I'm not an aggressive rider, after reading reviews on this site, I was somewhat concerned that the Eclipse would be too flexy in the front and rear under my weight (I'm 6 ft. 2 in. and 210#), but I needn't have worried.

I'm also very pleased with the Campagnolo components of the drive train. The derailleurs shift quickly and confidently, and the adjustability of the front derailleur allows me to eliminate any annoying grinding noises associated with chain rubbing against it.

All in all, Jamis has assembled an impressive list of components at a very attractive price point.

This bike felt most like the Bianchi Virata but with higher quality components.

[Oct 02, 2007]
    Ron Cooley

OVERALL
    Strength:

Comfort, style

High speed stability, paint

Bought this as a bare frame. Initially, I thought this would be my ideal bike--nice traditional look from the tube and lug-construction--smooth ride and reasonably light weight. After a season's riding, I'm a bit disappointed. I agree with other reviewers about the fragile paintwork. And while the bike IS a superbly smooth cruiser, it feels a bit scary when hammering at higher speeds (say above 50kph/30mph). It's almost as if the rear end is dancing around in response to the pedal stroke. Maybe a result of the longish chainstays that provide that nice ride at slower speeds.

Marinoni squadra, columbus slx

[Jul 27, 2007]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Smooth ride and capable of speed on the flats (you could race this machine). Campagnolo shifters. Ksyrium wheels are strong. Looks, carbon & steel mix makes the ride magic. Comfort is excellent.
    Absolutely amazing value. If you want a real all day road bike - look and ride this one!

Some power robbing flex is present (it's steel after all). Paint seems brittle. When I moved the saddle to a new position the paint broke and chipped off on the frame at the top of the seat tube (I do not over-tighten fasteners!). Same with the painted bottle cage screw holes.

The Jamis is a beautiful bike to ride and look at. Campy Centar is wonderful (I love it even though I am used to Shimano 9 & 10spd). This is a wonderful bike for the mature recreational rider that I am (50 yrs old). I have found it to be fast on the flats, but it doesn't put power to the road or climb fast like my Trek 5.2 Madone carbon(2005). This is probably due to the frame absorbing the power and flexing more than my Trek. Still it is comfortable and the "feel" is sweet and comfortably confident. It feels relaxed but is willing to cruise along at speeds that my old steel bikes of the 70's and 80's could never muster. The carbon makes the difference. This is a "gentleman's ride". Fast enough, but sophisticated for the decerning rider. No punishing ride here. Just easy miles under your wheels!

2000 Giant OCR1, 2001 Giant TCR0, 2005 Trek Madone 5.2 (my "Ferrari"), 2006 Argon 18 Plutonium, Older steel road bikes (I still have an 80's Raleigh Gran Prix.

[Aug 28, 2006]
    C80841

OVERALL
    Strength:

Ride Quality
    Campy components

Occassional problems with Mavic Kysium Elite rear wheel
    MSRP
    Weight: not the lightest bike for the money

The Eclipse is a good all around road bike. Its not edgy or scary fast, but it does have a reassuring quality about it that makes me want to ride farther and faster. Its campy components and truvativ carbon crank give it a reliable drive train that climbs pretty well. Combining Reynolds 853 steel and carbon make for a wonderful ride quality.

vintage Trek 2300