Jamis Satellite Road Bike

Nothing—absolutely nothing—beats steel’s magic carpet ride quality. It’s why magazines describe the most praiseworthy carbon and aluminum frames as being “steel-like.” Steel is the benchmark. And these bikes show you why. Legendary Reynolds steel—possibly the winningest brand in cycling—and our own Size Specific Tubing guarantee amazing ride quality, with the zing and resilience that minimizes road vibration and maximizes pedal efficiency and handling potential. Steel road bikes just feel planted in corners, and with our full carbon road fork to guide them, these bikes absolutely rail around the bends.

[Sep 17, 2012]
Mike Butler

OVERALL
Strength:

The steel frame provides for a smooth ride
Handling is good without being too aggressive
The components are in line with the price. ($725 US)
Warranty has cover all problems
Very nice beginner bike

LBS had to replace the seat post after just 2 months
Shifter cables had to be replaces at about the same time due to the cable housing getting kinks that prevented smooth shifting
I later replaced the stock seat

I have the 2011 Jamis Satellite which I purchased about 8 months ago. This is my first road bike in over 20 years. I road 10 or so bikes before I made my purchase. The relaxed geometry and smooth ride was a major selling point. This bike has been a great source of enjoyment and has really improved my fitness level. I have about 2000 miles on it and I really love the bike. I would definitely recommend this bike to any one that just wants to just get out and ride.

[Feb 25, 2012]
James Vaughn

OVERALL
Strength:

Incredible value ($700 US street)

None as yet, components are in line with the price of the bike.

Update on Jamis Satelitte, I purchased a 2011 model and have had ZERO trouble with the seat/post. The seat itself is torture, but that's to be expected from any stock saddle IMO.
Great Value!

[Apr 29, 2011]
Mossen

OVERALL

New to cycling, got this bike for commuting. Overall I am happy with it - it has fulfilled my expectations.

But there are some annoyances. The stock seat was not good and lasted for about a week before it started hurting and got replaced. The brakes are noisy, oddly the front makes a different sound than the back. The way the Sora and brake controls are mounted makes it very difficult to shift or brake when riding on the lower bars. I don't ride there much anyway so its not a deal for me.

The drivetrain is entry level and it shows. The chainring shifter (not sure what its really called) gets out of adjustment real quick, I have to microadjust the position every morning, otherwise it scrapes the chain. Plus, when shifting on the triple crank sometimes it takes 2 pushes to get it to engage the next chainring. Maybe it just needs to be tweaked, I dunno.

The bike itself rides really smooth, and when everything is adjusted right, its super quiet, and nimble. Accelerates well, and good for climbing. The cog shifter is nearly unnoticeable going down, and smooth on the way up. No problems with the frame, fork or wheels so far. Despite the annoyances I listed above, I think it was a good value and I look forward to riding it every day.

[Feb 23, 2011]
Andrew Jones

OVERALL
Strength:

Good value

Wheels, spokes, service/warranty issues with retailer

Great bike for first 800 miles or so. Back wheel was making noise in the hub. Retailer replaced rim under warranty. A few hundred miles later had a broken spoke. Replaced spoke, had rim trued up, and 50 miles later it broke again. Currently fighting with them about warranting this and giving me a different rim entirely. Bike shop is saying since they replaced the rim once, they won't be able to replace it again since Jamis wouldn't approve. Tried to blame my 'riding style' for breaking the spokes!!
If that were the case then I guess most of the other 800 riders with me that day would have broken spokes as well. Not happy with my local bike shop, Jamis, or the Mavic POS rim on my bike. Has anyone out there had any luck contacting Jamis direct for warranty issues?

[Feb 02, 2011]
Doggity

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel frame and fork, excellent, comfortable ride.

Just lose the junque components, replacing them whenever you find a good deal. Not the bike for somebody trying to keep up with the carbon and Spandex crowd.

Mine's the 2010 Satellite Sport triple. This is an entry level road bike that you should actually seriously consider!
Why? Because, unlike most every other bike at this price point, it has a really decent STEEL frame AND fork, and rides really smoothly! The bones of this bike are good, even if a lot of the components are marginal. I am used to lighter (and more expensive) aluminum/carbon bikes; this one's ride is way less fatiguing on long rides.
OK, the weaknesses: The saddle and seatpost, as others have noted are junque.
You were going to replace those anyway.
Typical entry level Alex rims (garbage!); I figgered I'd get 500 miles on 'em before I started breaking spokes, the first one went at 350 miles (so I'm a Clyde..). The stock brake shoes (plastic) are HORRIBLE. Replace them with a pair of KoolStops right away, the brakes will be OK. What else...Oh. The Shimano 2300 STI shifters are clunkers, and a mistake, at this price point. Jamis should have put Shimano's 8 speed bar end shifters on this bike-way better made, way more fun. Friction shifting just goes with this bike, it is a natural, and how everyone shifted anyway before the mid 90's.
What? You're a racer wannabe? This bike isn't for you, anyway. That's not what this bike is about! This bike is for the kind of rider who'd normally buy a Surly CrossCheck, or a Rivendell or the like but can't afford it.
Way comfortable, way fun, good responsive ride, not too slow and clunky, (unlike the Riv I had) considering its weight, which is a few lbs heavier than usual, these days. Not the ride for weight weenies, but for the non spandex rider who knows what they're about, might be the best cheap bike you've ever bought.
Here's the thing:I've replaced the wheels with hand built Shimano Ultegra hubs/Mavic 33 rims, the saddle with a Brooks B17, the seatpost with a Thompson Elite, Nitto handlebars, and the brifters with excellent Shimano 8 speed bar end shifters. I now have a comfortable, bomb proof bike for about what you'd spend on a usual aluminum/carbon forked entry level bike.
Sorry, my bike's WAY better now, IMHO. Waaaay better..there's nothing to break, and I haven't spent any more than a typical $1100 entry level bike, with which I'd STILL have to do the same thing. Recommended.

2006 Specialized Roubaix. 2008 Rivendell Bleriot.

[Oct 26, 2010]
nrechtiene

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth ride (even without a seat)

Seat post
Poor manufacturer support
Cost is high for what you get

Well, beware of the Satellite. I thought the seat post and wheel set issues had been resolved for 2010, but we were all wrong. I just bought this bike 1 month ago and have not had a single ride without the seat slipping backwards, front tip halfway up the arse. LBS says they only build'em as the come. Jamis has not bothered to respond to my request to replace it. Think twice about getting the Satellite.

Trek FX
Raleigh Route 24
Schwinn World Street

[Oct 26, 2010]
Nikolas Rechtiene

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth

Seat post
Wheelset
Manufacturer support

The frame is great, but the seat post is a disaster; do not even leave the bike shop until it is replaced. I bought a 2010 and thought the seat post complaints and wheel set (spoke) issues were solved by Jamis, but NO. LBS said they build'm the way Jamis sends them and Jamis has not sought fit to respond to my inquiry about the seat post and wheels. Although the bike is smooth, it is hard to ride with a seat half way up your arse. There are other CroMo bikes that are just as good (Bianchi).

Trek FX
Schwinn World Street
Raleigh Route 24

[Sep 16, 2010]
steve

OVERALL
Strength:

+ Lightweight
+ sturdy frame
+ good wheelset.

- Front fork has no eyelets for mounting racks
- chain, shifter and crankset could be better.
- Stock seat is horrible.

I have the 2010 model of this bike (comes with mavic rims and 700x25c tires).Comfortable geometry, smooth ride, much lighter than Jamis aurora. I would consider this an excellent starter bike.

Marin venezia, Specialized Sirrus comp.

[Jun 01, 2010]
barnum

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel frame.

Rear wheel- I'm on broken spoke #4. Yes, 4.

Very comfortable bike. Steel frame absorbs well. Only problem I've had so far is that perhaps my weight is too much for the rear wheel. Never snapped a spoke before. I'm on replacement spoke #4 now.

[May 24, 2010]
SlowJoeCrow

OVERALL
Strength:

Good ride, comfortable geometry, decent climbing gearing, nice selection of braze-ons (2 bottle cage mounts, rack mounts, chain hanger, chainstay bridge, & pump peg on larger sizes). It's also a very classy looking bike with paint and graphics reminiscent of a Lemond. Also good warranty backup.

Fragile rear spokes, I broke a few in one wheel and completely trashed another, then I bought some other wheels. The seatpost clamp dumped me backwards a few times as well, and finally there are no fender eyelets on the fork and clearance is tight. The 2010 model has different wheels, a different seatpost and long reach brakes with 25C tires so the fender clearance is better

This was my first modern road bike after a long time on mountain bikes. This was actually something of an impulse buy and with 20/20 hindsight I might have actually bought another bike. Anyway after trying an aluminum bike my old school bias came to the fore and I decided that I wanted a steel frame and the low gears of a triple more than the better shifting of a compact double. We actually bought a his and hers pair, although my wife moved on to a carbon fiber bike and I now ride a cyclocrosser, our son rides her Satellite and I just sold mine to a college kid. While the bike has its weaknesses it does do the job well, the ride is comfortable, the handling is OK and I did two century rides and Seattle to Portland on it. Jamis did fix some of the "bugs" in the 2010 which has a slightly different frame and component mix than my 2009. Overall I would still consider this a good starter bike for anybody who just wants to ride and not race.

Fuji Roubaix Pro, Redline Conquest Pro