Jamis Ventura Elite Road Bike

• FRAME: Kinesis Superlight 7005 triple butted aluminum with carbon fiber seat stays, sloping top tube frame design, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • FORK: Carbon fiber straight blade unicrown with alloy steerer, forged dropouts.
  • HEADSET: Aheadset, internal cup type, alloy, 1 1/8”.
  • WHEELSET: Shimano WH-R500 wheelset, 700c, 20/24H with bladed spokes, radially laced front, 3x rear.
  • TIRES: Hutchinson Quartz, 700 x 23C.
  • DERAILLEURS: Shimano ‘105’ SS rear, 105 31.8mm band clamp front.
  • SHIFTERS: Shimano ‘105’ Dual Control STI, 20-speed.
  • WEIGHT: 19.50lbs

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 22, 2014]
    Anders

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very smooth ride, really good in it's price range. And I like the geometry more than Bianchi for example. Good parts, quite lightweight frame.

Painting scratches quite easily.

I recommend this for beginners and serious bike enthusiastics.

[Mar 29, 2009]
    Sacha

OVERALL
    Strength:

Componentry (hard to find Ultegra rear derailleur on a bike in the same price range), comfort, PRICE.

Paint chips easily, stock stem is too short (90mm).

I got this bike to replace my mid-80's steel racer so I could get into more serious training and racing. I got a 2007 model that was lying around the shop, so I got a pretty good deal on it. So far, the bike has been perfect. The roads around where I live are pretty rough with lots of loose gravel, potholes and cracks all over the place. The carbon fork, seatstays and seatpost have been a nice touch and have kept me nice and comfortable during many a training ride. The components are great, with the 105 shifters and Ultegra rear derailleur shifting smoothly and sharply.
    I really have no complaints whatsoever.

Tested: Trek 1.5, Giant OCR 2
    Used: Generic taiwainese aluminium frame bike

[Mar 12, 2009]
    8Ring

OVERALL
    Strength:

Geometry makes it fun to ride and comfortable without being skittish. Ultegra derailleurs, 105 brakes, FSA Gossamer compact crank. Weight is quite reasonable for a 61cm frame. Great customer service from Salvagetti.

Shimano R500 wheels are not the best but probably typical for this price point. The front hub was grinding a bit before I tacoed the wheel at 700 miles. The rear 24 spoke wheel has stayed true thus far. Stock Vittoria Zaffiro 23c tires were a little cheap. I've upgraded to 25c Zaffiro Pros for training.

I'm now 58 and decided to get a road bike after mountain biking for a year. Bought my 61cm Ventura Elite in May 2008. It was a 2008 model. The slightly relazed geometry is very comfortable for my 6"4" frame. I thoroughly tested and compared it to Bianchi Via Nirone and Giant alu/carbon framed bikes in this price range. The Bianchi was the strongest and stiffest; the Giant was the smoothest. The Jamis felt the most nimble and accelerated the best. I use Speedplay Light Action pedals. During fitting, I added a Specialized seat post (the stock post was too short)and a Specialized saddle.

It's a bike I look forward to riding. The frame transmitted some buzz on chip-seal roads around here; switching to 25c tires at slightly lower pressures helped. My longest ride has been 75 miles and I put 1,600 miles on it last summer.

I plan to ride my first century in May. The only other upgrades with be wheels from Neuvation or BWW for use in centuries or group rides.

None.

[Mar 10, 2009]

OVERALL
    Strength:

good parts, shifts really smooth...great for weekend warriors

saddle (It would be just as comfortable to sit on a brick)...paint chips really easy...I wish Jamis would make either a 52 or 53 cm frame...I fall in between a 51 and 54 (the 51 is a little small...and I feel really streched out on the 54)...

I actually have a 2008...I've been a mountain biker for a while and decided it was time to give road bikes another shot...So for it's been a great ride...It comes with good parts off the bat...the wheel-set sucks, but I am not racing...the paint chips just by looking at it too much...the saddle is the most uncomfortable of any I've ever owned... over-all it's a great deal...

Bianchi (steel frame from the 90's)...

[Oct 20, 2008]
    eg1vin

OVERALL
    Strength:

Nice component set, rides nice, and comfortable. Has been reliable so far.

Paint get's scratched easily and chips off. My bike came from the factory with a little chunk of paint missing. Jamis's warranty could be better. The seat is also uncomfortable, and the looks of the bike could be better.

This review is for the 2008 model. I chose this bike over the Felt F75 and the Fuji Roubaix Pro, simply for the ride quality. For the price you get a nice set of components and a solid bike. The bike comes with a long steerer tube, so comfort is easily adjusted. And the vibration dampening qualities of the bike is comparable to low end carbon bikes. This is my first road bike, but I've built and ridden all sorts of other road bikes.

Felt F75, F4, Z35. Jamis Ventura Comp, Satellite, Quest, Xenith Comp. Fuji Roubaix Pro, CCR2/3, Team Issue

[May 06, 2007]
    Brian Burns

OVERALL
    Strength:

It makes me want to go out and ride. It has been dependable, useful and most of all, cheap. A GREAT value if you're looking for an everyday bike that performs.

Not uber-light, and may hold you back if you're trying to win road races.

Very good bike. I bought it to be a group-ride/triathlon bike. I did a couple tri's on it last season, and while I bought a dedicated tri-bike this winter, I continue to ride the Jamis as a road bike. It has filled all these roles well.

[Dec 30, 2006]
    David Stanley

OVERALL
    Strength:

Frame, great looking bike. Wonderful ride.

A few cheap heavy componants, but easily changed.

Wow! I got the bike on clearance for almost half off retail price. I've been a die-hard Mt. Biker for 20 years. I have ridden over 35,000 miles on Mt. Bikes. But my 43 year old body was looking to spend less energy on my planned 3 centuries this year, so it was time to become a roadie. What can I say about the bike? It was love at first ride. I did make a few changes after I bought it. I got the triple chainring version, and the inner chainrings were steel. I dumped those and put on a couple of aluminum FSA rings. I really love to climb, so I changed the 12-23 cassette to a more knee friendly 12-26.

The last time I was on a road bike, it was a high end Waterford steel bike. Nice bike, but no way near as comfortable as my Stumpjumper M2. This Jamis with the stiff aluminum frame and carbon fiber forks and seat stays is amazingly comfortable. The carbon just soaks up the road vibrations and really inspires speed and confidence.

It's very wet and cold here, and between the bad weather, holidays, and a week long cold, I still only have about 30 miles on the bike. But so far so good. I'm looking forward to a long love afair with the road and my Jamis Ventura Elite. I'll review it again after I've got a couple of thousand miles under my belt.