Jamis Ventura Sport Road Bike

• FRAME: Kinesis 7005 double-butted aluminum, sloping top tube frame design, replaceable derailleur hanger.
  • FORK: Carbon fiber straight blade unicrown with alloy steerer, forged dropouts.
  • HEADSET: Aheadset, internal cup type, alloy, 1 1/8”.
  • WHEELSET: Alex AKX R1.0 wheelset, aero profile rims with CNC sidewalls, 28/32H, radial front, 2X rear.
  • TIRES: Hutchinson Flash, 700 x 23C.
  • DERAILLEURS: Shimano Sora rear, Sora 31.8mm band clamp front.
  • SHIFTERS: Shimano Sora Dual Control STI, 16-speed
  • WEIGHT: 21.75 lbs

• USER REVIEWS

[Dec 10, 2018]
    CrochetGeek4

OVERALL
    Strength:

The only positive is that it has a frame and wheels

NOT SAFE TO RIDE The braking levers prevent you from braking in the hoods. I was nearly in an accident last night because when you engage the brakes while in the hoods, there isn't enough leverage to engage the calipers.

Price Paid:
    Purchased:
    New
    Model Year:
    2017
    [Feb 23, 2016]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great bang for buck

Wheels, cranks

Amazing bike for commuting can put fenders on the bike all good to go. Bike can take a lot of abuse so far 3 canadian winters and a very muddy, gravelly and ice commute 5 days a week 10 months a year for 3 years. If you are looking for a good bike to commute with this is definitely a high contender.

[Jun 30, 2015]
    Private

OVERALL
    Strength:

only paid $450

Too much weaknesses

peice of crap

[Jun 27, 2015]
    Ian M

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very solid and stable bicycle.
    Amazing Price Point
    Perfect Aluminum Sport Commuter for anyone who rides in both good and bad weather
    Comes with Rach Mounts - didn't expect that at this price point

Rear wheel was heavy, and I broke 4 spokes within the first 6 months, so I replaced the wheel with a Fulcrum Sport, which has been trouble for 2 years

Overall weight was acceptable, but the rear wheel in particular had to go

Great value, very good ride quality, you might need to replace the rear wheel within the first year. I paid $404 for this bike at a Canadian Big Box sporting goods store - because I was tired of worrying about my $5k road bike being stolen from work or public spaces. I really had low expectations, not only because of the price point, Sora components, and "Sport" logo on the bike, but because over the last 30 years I've never bought a single bike that didn't win some sort of honors in a mainstream bike magazine, fearing I'd be a "lesser rider" if I didn't spend at least two whole pay cheques to get a 5 star bike.

Well, 17 bikes later, I've held on to three of them for more than 2 years, and the Jamis Ventura Sport is one of those bikes.

The frame is super stiff and somehow manages to deliver compliance I wasn't expecting. I would describe the ride as stable, and the road bumps resonate through the aluminum frame, not in a jolting way, but enough to keep you aware of bigger bumps.

I should mention I've ridden a fair bit of gravel trail routes on this bike including some steep tree root covered wet trails, and it is easily the best bike I've ever had for "adventure" rides where you might see different types of road surfaces. In fact, I can say it's been a bit of an apiphany that I can go for a ride and if I want to, take a road bike "Off Road" with only the most mtb worthy trails being, well, mtb only.

I wouldn't recommend this bike if someone wants to do long distance riding as the frame and overall ride is NOT as comfortable as a carbon fiber frame , It could be transformed to a very good long distance bike, if you are willing to invest in an exceptionally good saddle, and some quality 28 wide tires, which could tame just about any road

This bike at much less money, has meant so much more to me, as I've deep six'd the notion that a good ride has to be on a Pro GC frame with either Dura-Ace or Campagnolo Super Record. Not at all. In fact I have started to feel a bit duped by the small fortune I've spend on bikes, only to have warranty replacements of inferior workmanship in the first year. None of that, except the rear wheel on the Jamis Sport.

[Sep 07, 2014]
    Jarkko Kettula

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price, 400 euros for New Bike is great price. After 25 years mountainbiking i bought Jamis as a third bike, my first road bike. Suddenly it went so that i forgot mtbs and i use just Jamis. Very easygoing first roadbike, components are good enough on this price class, riding is easy and frame is comfortable.

Crankset could be better.

Value for money, exellent

[Jun 10, 2012]
    The Bman

OVERALL
    Strength:

Bang for your buck. Feels steady and well built. If this were a Trek it would be $1000. I don't care if I have a Chinese from that says Trek or Jamis.

Not very aggressive so if you are in good shape and really start riding you may want something more race worth. But I flipped the stem, slammed the bars and it feels great.

I pooped my pants.

[May 28, 2012]
    benroe1000

OVERALL
    Strength:

stiff frame, comfortable ergonomics, great mile eater

wheels, stock seat

I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 280lbs. I love to ride and most of my riding is done on back roads with tar and chip and hot melt surfaces running about 50/50. The ventura sport has been a good companion and I consider it my go to bike on charity rides. It has not been without issues though. I know this is the entry level into the road bike line but something has to be done about the alex/formula combo. I was constantly breaking spokes and warping the stock wheels. I upgraded to a shimano r500 wheelset that has been tough as nails so far. A megasoft seat also made a nice upgrade as the stock seat is uncomfortable at best. The stock aluminum fork also pales in comparison to the origin 8 carbon fork I upgraded to. But hey, I got this thing for something like 600 bucks out the door which is great for a new road bike. If I was a skinny lad the wheels may have held up better but who knows. I am very pleased with the bike and even after the upgrades I will have far less in it than another brand and have a bike that fits me well and I can ride all day without worries. I would definitely recommend this bike for someone getting their feet wet in bicycling or for someone looking for a decent bike on the cheap.

[Apr 04, 2012]
    r.shoemaker78

OVERALL
    Strength:

I feel you get far more bike than what you pay for. Tiagra/105 work great! The Ritchey DCS wheels that came on my bike are still true!!! This bike is very durable.

Handling can be scetchy at little sketcy at times coming down mountain passes, the crankset flexes and is noisy under load. Not a fan of the ergo handlebar.

This review is on my older '04 Jamis Ventura Sport, but the bike hasn't changed much since 04 was the first year it was 7005 aluminum. I bought the bike the end of '04 to do a little riding and some commuting. First thing I did was upgrade the seapost and seat but everything else is still as it came from the LBS. I will turn 10,000 miles on the bike in the next month and I think this bike was the best $700 investment I've ever made! Granted the my model had a Tiagra/105 mix rather than the current Sora/Tiagra so shifting and overall operation has been great.

This year is the first year I've really focused on speed and power, thats where the miles, age and components start to show thier weakness. The bike still feels great under me except under extemely hard burst out of the saddle on larger climbs. I can feel the cranks/bb flex pretty bad and it even makes occasional mercy squeaks and pops. The frame however still feels and looks great. Minor knicks and dings expected from over 7 years of rain, mud and rocks but no defects, fade or peel.

For mose people, this bike will be a noble companion and offer years of flawless service. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it again and will keep it in my stable as a commuter and trusty rider in bad weather.

'08 Cervelo Soloist Aluminum; '99 Cannondale Aluminum, '97 Raleigh Steel/Aluminum, '95 Trek 370 steel.

[Feb 18, 2011]
    Billy Stratton

OVERALL

STIFF. I just relocated to Australia until June, and this is the bike to get me through that time away from my beloved Fuji Newest 1.0 2007. For my money, it doesn't get any better than my Fuji (and I've ridden some rad stuff), but the Jamis Ventura Sport 2010 compares pretty effectively. The bike is used, so I think that explains a little creaking and squeaking that the warranty should take care of. Apart from the squeaking, the breaks are quite unresponsive. The derailleurs are clunky; not nearly as quick-witted as my old Fuji. One thing I will say is even without a carbon fork, the Jamis seems lighter, but it's stiff as anything I've ever ridden.

[May 01, 2010]
    JAM

OVERALL

After riding my Jamis for close to a year, I feel that I have gotten to know it pretty well.

On the plus side, I find my bike to be very comfortable, even on 60 mile+ rides. In fact, compared to my other bike it feels somewhat like a Cadillac (slow and sedate). I found this to be an enormous plus in helping me put more miles in. The fastest bike in the world wont make you faster if its too uncomfortable to train on.

Also, $600 (what I paid) is about the least you can spend and still get an actual road bike, so value is a definite plus.

Things to be aware of: I hate my drivetrain. The Shimano 2200 shifters (the lowest quality they make) have eaten 3 shifter cables, leaving me stranded on the road twice. Also, shifting is often clunky and not responsive. This is my only serious complaint with the Jamis.

Overall, I really like the frame and comfort of the Jamis, but wish I could have invested in better shifters and derailleurs (I may still) to improve its reliability.

Get the latest roadbike reviews, news, race results, and much more by sigining up for the Roadbikereview Newsletter