KHS Inc. Flite 300 Road Bike

Frame Material: aluminum, butted
Frame Angles: 73.5 head, 72.0 seat
Sizes: small, medium, large, xlarge
Colors: White/Black, Black/Red
Tires: 700 x 23c Kenda Koncept

[Dec 04, 2012]
Chris M

OVERALL
Strength:

Carbon fork at this price point is rare
11-30 cassette creates a wider range of gear combinations than a some bikes with a triple crankset.
26c tires provides a little more comfort for us newbies without sacrificng noticable speed.
Frame geometry gives a slightly more upright position than some other competitors, which is also easier on beginners.

Stock saddle is uncomfortable, but that seems to be common with all bikes.

This review is for the 2011 model, which I got like-new at my LBS recently.

I hadn't ridden a bike in about 18 years, but was looking into getting into triathlons next year. I could do the swim and the run, but need to learn to bike. It took about two months of internet research and shop browsing before i made up my mind. There were so many brands and options that it was overwhelming at times.

Since I hadn't ridden much, when I took bikes on test rides, it was hard to tell the difference between the bikes in my price range. However, I would still recommend going to several shops and test riding some. The more I did the more confident I was that remembered how to ride a bike.

At the end of the day, most have similar components and frame materials at the same price point. The bottom line for me was that I liked the shop, the deal, and that the bike specs and dimensions seemed beginner friendly.

I think new ones run $750 now, which is about $200 less than other bikes with a aluminum frame and a carbon fork. I replaced the stock saddle with one a little more comfortable.

FYI, this is the 61cm frame (XL) and weighs 23.5 lbs. It was always frustrating never to find bike weights. I think the times you do see a manufacturer publish a weight it is for the smallest frame, which may be about 21.5 lbs for this bike.

[Jul 27, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

frame is beautiful

gears.. rough shifts

i love the khs 300. it rides smooth gets up an going fast.. but the worst is the gears they are loud and seem to never find the right gear with out it making noise.. i went for a bike ride 4 miles . the chain an gear locked up!!! ya fun.. other then that its fun great bike for the buck and the seat is not that bad as may say it is..

[Jul 17, 2008]
nagatahawk

OVERALL
Strength:

7001 double butted frame. compact design and strength. shimano components and unknown origin crank set shifted well. The bike came stock with a san marco seat. It weighed in at 20 lbs.
The over all ride and performance was better than my Debarnardo Steely w/full campy.

Frame welds were cobby looking. wheel sets where heavy. I may change to Newuvation/ceramics for week end rides

I bought this bike for a commuter, weld on attachents for the rear panier, big tires 26c easily roled over and smoothed out the pot holes, dips cracks and broken up asphalt for my commute. I was very pleasantly suprized that this bike was lighter than my steel debarnado, and out climbed and out accelerated it. the ride was smoother, due to big tires carbon fork great frame. I will come back and do a follow up as I had a bad mt. bike injury and will not be able to ride until next season. maybe this fall.

Debarnardo Steel frame, full Campy Drive train, Campy Khamsin Wheel sets (gold)
I also tested a similarly equiped Felt road bike. The asking price was around $900. They rode the same and I would have to give a slight advantage to the KHS bike. The workmanship on the Felt frame was better but twice the price of the KHS.

[Feb 27, 2008]
hallin222

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap. Good entry level bike, especially if found used for cheap. The triple front chainring is good for beginners, but I haven't touched the granny ring in over a year and could easily do without it.

Heavy! I think My XL (or maybe XXL?) framed bike was around 26 lbs (!!!) stock. Sora drivetrain, while mine shifts well enough, is a little cumbersome to operate (thumb shifters) while in the drops. An employee at the LBS told me, "if you're spending enough time in the drops for this to be a problem, you're probably outgrown this bike". I agree.

The stock brakes are pretty miserable, especially for slowing down my 6'3", 210-ish lb self. A pad swap helped greatly.

My bike is actually a 2004, like the one shown in the small photo above, except in white/black. I've been riding it for about 2 years now and it has served me well. I do, however feel I've 'outgrown' it slightly, but don't know if I'll bother invest in a newer, better bike since I've got so little invested in this one and it works fine. I'm able to hang with several riding buddies on their $2,000-$3,000 bikes just fine.

I've put about 2,000 miles on it so far and even raced it in a couple of duathlons. Most of my riding/racing is off-road, though.

This bike is a great value, but a more serious cyclist will find it's weaknesses after a while. The good news is that the heavy stock wheels had, for the most part, held up under my Clydesdale weight, and rarely came out of true. I think I've only broken one or two spokes in two years (this is good for me, I'm hard on rear wheels, on road and off). I've since upgraded to some Mavic Askiums.

N/A, Mountain biker only before this bike.

[Jul 28, 2007]
David Bradshaw

OVERALL
Strength:

Price
All around good preformer
Great first bike

Tires

Great bike, the sora parts work fine. The frames is a little on the heavy side but its what you get from the price and the orginal tires are crap and are 700*26 not the standard 700*23 tire size