KHS Inc. Flite 500 Road Bike

Frame Material: aluminum, butted
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: small, medium, large, xlarge
Colors: Black/Red, Yellow/Black
Tires: 700 x 23c Kenda Koncept

[Jul 17, 2006]
atolwin

OVERALL
Strength:

great bike all around.

This bike surprised me. After seeing KHS in the supermarkets, my riding has shown me that they can put together a great bike, fine components and at a great savings. The frame is light and stiff, the components are reliable and responsive.
The attention to detail is also noteworthy, paint job is beautiful, colorful and durable.

felt f75
specialized allez

[Dec 16, 2005]
jonzer

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, light, brakes and shifting are good. I have now put over 600+ mi on bike and it works wonderfully.

With this type of bike (with thin tires) you have to be very mindful of road debris. Not a problem of this bike per se though.

I wanted to add more comments from the last review. Since the last review - it turned out the rim problem was because the bike shop did not true the rim properly. They gave me a new rim and it has been working out without any problems. The front derailer cable stopped stretching after the 3rd adjustment and has held. I am no longer getting pinch flats as regularly. So in total all the complaints I had about this bike have been resolved. The back tire is completely worn - but I have over 600+ mi on it now. And I have had to slam on brakes for cars cutting me off occasionally. So this is acceptable. I would attribute the pinch flats going away because of my weight loss and learning where every pothole in my route is. Also I take the bus to avoid areas where the roads are really bad. I would say my riding weight including backpack is now 210 lbs or less where it was 225+ before.

[Nov 12, 2005]
jonzer

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, light, brakes and shifting are good.

Front derailer is problematic? Rims and tire width are not tough enough for most city street environments.

Overall a good bike. This is the first performance road bike I have owned. Only a few complains. I have been riding this bike for about 3 weeks now at 40+ miles per day almost 5 days a week. The front derailer keeps stretching out the cable. Is this a cable problem or derailer? Not sure yet. Bike shop has fixed adjusted cable 2x now. May replace cable on third. The back rim has gone out of true 2 times now. Today the bike shop trued and on the way home one spoke ripped itself out of the rim. My weight is ~215 and my backpack was probably 20 pounds. Maybe that is too heavy - I will try to find a high end back rim to take heavy weight. Everything else works great. I would recommend for long commutes like mine a larger tire width - with very strong rims. The 700x23c is too small - I get 1 or more pinch flats every week - I try to keep front tire at 110 psi and back at 100psi. If you are large in frame and commute long miles get a bike with wider tires that may be heavier - you will thank yourself for it. This bike rides hard - the 23C tires are good only for perfect roads. If you have imperfect roads with rocks or even minute potholes do not get this bike - or you will have to stare at the road while you ride to avoid everything. In the end I wish I had bought a bike that is better suited to riding real streets.