KHS Inc. Flite 700 Road Bike

Tires: 700 x 23c Kenda Kaliente

[Feb 14, 2015]
C

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap
Reliable
Good component selection
Carbon seat stays (and fork)

Front derailleur seems to rub on chain under load
Clear coat on carbon components is easily scratched and nicked

I use this bike for commuting and for racing. It is awesome in every respect. It came stock with the perfect selection of parts, from the extremely tough Kenda Kaliente tires (which are also extremely light) to the excellent Campy groupset (Mirage shifters, RD; Xenon crankset and FD) to the bombproof wheels (Easton Vista). The frame is light and strong and doesn't flex under load. What does flex seems to be the crankset ... I get a bit of chain rub under load. Not a big issue at all as the rub is very slight. I have friends riding CAADs and my bike can definitely compare with the CAADs ... actually mine is probably a bit better because of its carbon seat stays, which actually seem to soak up a good amount of road buzz. The ride isn't harsh at all even with 700x23 tires at 110 PSI and it's absolutely buttery smooth when the road is well paved. Even on less than well maintained roads the ride is great. Great value from a great manufacturer.

[Feb 13, 2008]
chris_omar

OVERALL
Strength:

great value. snappy feel. great wheelset for the $.

No name seat post, stem. Sheaper saddle. Pedals aren't well designed.

also, the newer 3-bolt derailleur hanger sucks. I've literally torn one into 3 pieces on the beginning of a climb, 20 miles from home. Luckily I already learned my lesson and always carry a spare hanger. I haven't wrecked to mess anything up, it's just a bad design.

I got the previous, straight tubed version with 105 and velomax circuits. The frame quickly developed 2 cracks in the head tube after a few hundred miles. They switched it out for the newer, all AL shaped-tube frame and I've been replacing dérailleur hangers ever since

First Road bike

[Jan 01, 2008]
2eyebox

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike has a great ride and has very crisp handling.Well balanced and the wheels roll forever.Great frame

Unknown crank(samox)although it was lighter than the Ultegra i replaced it with.probably not a bad crank...just never heard of it.
Stem,seatpost,bar and wheels are kinda heavy...replacing those alone lightened up the bike almost 2 lbs

This is really a great bike for the money and with a few upgrades you can have a whole lotta bike at a really good price.I sold off the things i didn't want and shopped around for the best prices on what i did want.the end result was an awesome bike for 1150.00 total price.a similar spec'ed Cannondale,Giant,Trek etc would cost 2000.00 or more easy

Cannondale Six13,Synapse
Giant OCR A1,TCR A1
The OCR A1 had the best ride by FAR over anything i tested with the TCR A1 being the most fun. Both Cannondales were kinda uncomfortable...Lots of road buzz etc. All bikes above were in the 1400.00 range

[May 14, 2007]
Michael

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid bike for the money. Responsive and solid in a climb.

Mirage/Xenon components...but it's a entry level bike.

I took a chance on a KHS because a friend raved about their MTB quality.

This is a solid bike period. I now have about 8,000 miles on it (200 lbs) and the only negative I've found is that it's developed a mysterious creak somewhere in the front end.

The Campy Mirage/Xenon that came with it is okay at best. I recently had it overhauled and went to all Campy Chorus components and Campy Proton wheelset.

You can spend a lot more money on a bike that doesn't hold a candle to this one. I'll ride it until it falls apart.

[Jan 24, 2007]
TylerDurden

OVERALL
Strength:

Good looking, durable, stiff, campy (even if it's just mirage)

Came with a triple, but I replaced that.

Good entry level bike. Mine was Al with carbon fork and seat stays, with campy mirage. The bike is stiff, I never had any problems in that department, but still comfortable for long rides. I did a 167 miler on it along with a few centuries without getting beat up by the bike.

1980's trek (aluminum)

[Nov 27, 2006]
glen

OVERALL
Strength:

campy components

none yet

This is my first road bike and it rides vey nice. It came with the campy components and they work well. I've put about 400 miles on this bike riding once or twice a week. On a rough road it can be a little uncomfortable. This bike was priced lower than everything else I saw with a similar setup except everything else had shimano 105 or lower. I am really pleased with campy. I think they changed this setup for 2006.

[Nov 22, 2006]
Jay T

OVERALL
Strength:

-Feels strong and responsive
-Light weight
-Minor Aero subtleties which are nice for appearance and performance
-Good wheelset / tires for this price bike
-Should be able to get at a good price

-Seat post (too short)
-Not sure about Tektro brake calipers / pads
time will tell
-stock pedals

Price in Canadian. So roughly 1000 American.

Excellent bike for the price. Comes with some nice parts which won't be needing upgrading for a few years. Feels very responsive when you put the power down and not too much road vibration. Truvative compact crank is nice considering we have some massive hills in town here. Although you'll want to ditch the Wellgo SPD pedals. Decent shimano wheelset/hubs which were much better than other bikes in the same price range. They feel very good on the road with Kenda Kaliente L3R pros (stock). Nice and Light too. Aluminum seat post is too short. Set at what looks to be a decent height (not too high up) I'm right at the safety marks on the tube. I'll replace w/ a longer / lighter carbon post soon. Selle San Marco seat is a little hard for my liking. The physical fit and 'bang for your buck' was what drove me to buy this one. You can buy it online for a lot less but I recommend buying from your LBS. This is absolutely a great bike for someone like myself who rides a few times a week and doesn't want to break the bank doing so. 1700 CDN regular Retail. You should be able to get clearance prices now for the end of 2006. The upcoming 2007 models don't seem nearly as good as this years. Get it while you can!

Scott Speedster s40
Specialized Allez Sport

[May 30, 2004]
NCFIRE76

OVERALL
Strength:

AERO WHEELS // SHIMANO 105 COMPLETE COMPONENTS // AERO FRAME // SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT.

HIGH QUALITY SEAT BUT NOT VERY COMFORTABLE. COULD USE A 2X4 AND BE JUST AS COMFORTABLE.

OUTSTANDING BIKE FOR THE MONEY. THEY DID NOT SKIMP ON ANY COMPONENTS. THE BIKE HANDLES VERY WELL. THE BIKE IS VERY VERY LIGHT (19 LBS ) ... VERY COMFORTABLE RIDE.