Kish Fabrication SL Titanium Custom Road Bike

The SL version of the titanium road frame uses Reynolds butted tubes and tapered seatstays and chainstays.

Kish Fabrication's road frames have held the highest standard of quality since the company's inception in 1992. They are designed and built in San Luis Obispo, California by Jim Kish, lifetime cycling enthusiast, and head instructor of United Bicycle Institute's prestigious titanium frame building classes.

The SL also features a machined head tube, an even lighter version of the standard's internally machined bottom bracket shell, welded-in bottle bosses and a machined titanium seat tube sleeve. All Kish frames are 100% custom, built to order. Each frame's geometry, tube selection and braze ons are chosen for the individual rider's needs. The frames have an easily-maintainable brushed satin finish, but painted and etched finishes are also available in an infinite variety of designs. Kish Fabrication offers a lifetime warranty on titanium frames, and the lead time is kept short-usually under 8 weeks.

[May 30, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

The frame looks great. The ride is excellent-strength coupled with comfort. The buttery welds and brushed finished Ti frame exudes quality.

None.

I now own the best bicycle I've ever ridden--KISH Ti SL with the Dura Ace 7900 kit and DT Wheel set. I reviewed Jim Kish's web site and also had the advantage of meeting him at the San Diego Bike Show featuring premier frame builders, restorationists, and painters. I had emailed Jim prior to the show and indicated an interest. After seeing his product and talking with him for about 20 minutes I was sold that he was the right person to build a custom bicycle for me. Two weeks later my wife and I made the trip to his shop where he was very helpful, patient, and informative regarding product options. I was convinced that my bike would be crafted by a true artisan. In about 2 months, and a few emails later, my bike was ready. My wife and I made the trip again and found Jim very proud to deliver a product that made me proud to own and happy to ride. Jim assisted me with my cleat adjustment, exchanged stems for fit, and wanted to know that my bike was truly the best it could be for me before I left. I have ridden the bike 200 miles since taking delivery on May 23, 2009. It is very agile and comfortable. When launching at the base of a hill the bike literally "jumps" into the ascent with the coming descent just as rewarding. The bike is a work of art fused with quality engineering. The look of the bike is only surpassed by the ride. I am very glad I met Jim and happy to own a KISH.

[Mar 14, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

The welds are buttery smooth, the finish is fantastic and the ride is unbelievable. The bicycle is everything I was looking for.

The bicycle is very agile and responsive. It climbs very well, it does not flex and rob energy needed to climb efficiently. It is comfortable on long rides and smoothes out the vibrations. It descends and corners like it is on rails, does not punish the rider on roads that are heavily wash boarded, or riddled with pot holes. Try a custom Kish Ti seat post! The Ti seat post is noticeably smoother – I would not have believed it myself at first.

None. Unless there is a lot of cross country technical single track - this bicycle is my first choice for rides.

Purchased June 2008

I am very pleased with the complete bicycle that I purchased from Kish Fabrication. Jim is a professional custom hand built bicycle builder of the highest caliber. Jim is very knowledgeable, highly patient, impeccable with details, honest, reliable, and very patient. Jim was exactly what I was looking for in a custom hand built bicycle builder.

When I initially contacted Jim by email, I told him that I wanted a bicycle for all day epic rides. I wanted a bicycle that I could ride on a mix of pavement, smooth single track, fire roads, steep accents / descents and everything and anything in between. It seemed that Jim understood what kind of bicycle I was looking for. Jim and I exchanged emails for a few days and then I meet him at his workshop to work through all the details. Jim informed me that for several years he had been trying to come up with a bicycle similar to the one I sought for himself. After several years of tweaking – Jim believed that he had come up with the right combination of materials and geometry to make a similar bicycle for himself and assured me he would be happy to build a similar bicycle for me.

If you have the opportunity to meet with Jim, get to know him and work through the details face to face - do it - you will not be disappointed.

Jim personally dealt with every aspect of building the bicycle. Jim was extremely helpful with component selection and happy to share his thoughts and reasoning with regards to component selection and recommendations. It is good to know that someone like Jim is teaching the next generation of hand built bicycle builders at UBI.

I have ridden a lot of bicycles over the years. It is hard to compare a completely custom fit and function titanium bicycle to anything I have previously owned or ridden.

[Nov 19, 2007]
Slotracer

OVERALL
Strength:

I had been riding a steel frame (reynolds 853). The ride of the ti. SL is even better than my steel frame.
The total ready to ride weight is 15.2 lbs
This is a bike that calls for you to go riding.
Every ride go on I get positive reaction from someone about how nice the frame is from someone.

The only problem that I have found is the bike is to nice to leave in the garage. But my wife will not let me store it in the house. My way around this was to buy a new house and finish the garage so that it is now up to the standard of the bike!

What can I say, Great customer service by Jim. With Kish Fabrication you talk directly with the builder. I had the oportunity to have Jim fit me himself. I built the bike using Jim's recommended stem length and seat post set back. The fit was spot on. Great overall quality from the welds to the powdercoat by Spectrum. I checked the frame alignment on a surface plate using aerospace inspection equipment and it was right on.

Schwinn Parmount by Match
Lyonsport roadbike

[Nov 19, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and stiff, timeless bike, perfectly balanced.

None found, none expected

After buying a MTB and cyclocross from Jim, I have decided to buy an SL Road frame for road training from him as well. I was not disappointed when I finally held it in hands. Perfectly made frame, just great for eyes and legs. Frame is light and yet as stiff as I can think of doable and reasonable with Titanium. But not as rock-hard as Carbon, it is perfectly done for endless hours in the saddle. The surface of the frame is wondefully made, a frame for life. Together with the professionel attitude of Jim for the job, it was just a pleasure from ordering up to finally riding. Absolutely recommended.

Litespeed, Moots, Simplon.