Kish Fabrication Titanium Custom Road Bike

Kish Fabrication's road frames have held the highest standard of quality since the company's inception in 1992. They are designed and built in San Luis Obispo, California by Jim Kish, lifetime cycling enthusiast, and head instructor of United Bicycle Institute's prestigious titanium frame building classes.

The standard custom titanium frame uses straight gauge tubes. It features a machined head tube, internally machined bottom bracket shell, tapered and ovalized chainstays, welded-in bottle bosses and a machined titanium seat tube sleeve. All Kish frames are 100% custom, built to order. Each frame's geometry, tube selection and braze ons are chosen for the individual rider's needs. The frames have an easily-maintainable brushed satin finish, but painted and etched finishes are also available in an infinite variety of designs. Kish Fabrication offers a lifetime warranty on titanium frames, and the lead time is kept short-usually under 8 weeks.

[Mar 03, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Weld quality
Jim's knowledge

Really none.

I bought this bike as a "lifetime" ride and have not been disappointed. I spoke with Jim many time both before and after my frame purchase, and have even asked equipment questions unrelated to his frames. He has always responded to my calls and e-mails quickly and courteously, and remains a pleasure to deal with. Jim taught many of the best how to work with titanium and his work is beautiful. I have not seen welds that are as consistently beautiful as his over an entire frame.

I have owned many frames - steel, carbon, aluminum - and keep coming back to my Kish to ride day after day.

Lots.

[Jan 03, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

The Ti frame is stiff yet gives a comfortable ride. Light enough to climb all day, perfect fit, and dealing with Jim is a pleasure.

Not a one.

After a few years on one of Jim's frames I'd have to say I'd never ride anything else. Working with Jim on the purchase is enlightening, he's happy to answer any question with a professional honesty that is hard to find these days. The end result is a frame and bike you feel 100% confident about purchasing and that's only the beginning. Picking up the bike is when the real fun begins. The fit was perfect, the materials and workmanship stellar, the aesthetics stunning. It's amazing that after a few conversations and one in-person meeting that Jim can build a bicycle that fits like a glove - no amount of tinkering with an off-the-shelf frame ever came close to the ride and fit of Jim's custom work.
I highly recommend spending the time to talk to Jim about your riding style, component preferences, and get his expert recommendations.
Even if you already know exactly what you want, the quality and craftsmanship cannot be beat.

None of my previous bikes seem remotely similar!

[Nov 28, 2007]
cadence90

OVERALL
Strength:

Kish Fabrication is a one-man operation: one deals only with Jim. If you can meet him in person, do it.

Experience; ability; philosophy; accessibility and communication; fast delivery times. Perfect fit, beautiful welds, a joy to ride. Even the schwag is beautiful!

Weaknesses are not in the lexicon when dealing with a builder of this caliber.

After researching many titanium frame builders a fair amount, I finally decided to meet with Jim Kish first. I never contacted any other builder.... From the outset, his courtesy, experience, attention to detail, enthusiasm and professionalism were clearly evident. I immediately ordered a 2004 custom 3/2.5 straight-gauge titanium and I have been completely satisfied ever since.

I find Jim to be a very experienced, pragmatic and straight-forward frame builder. His process is clear and enlightening; the fit is perfect; the craftsmanship is excellent; the finish is gorgeous; and the ride is superb. If interested in further comments and photos, search under "cadence90" and "Kish" here, and on the MTBR, Weight Weenies, FWB and Serotta boards.

After loving my road frame so much, I bought a ti hardtail from Jim and plan on ordering a ti CX/commuter soon. His steel frames are also beautiful. I have recommended Jim's work to many people, and the 8 or so people who have then actually ordered a Kish frame have all been very satisfied.

Jim Kish is an outstanding frame builder, a real professional and a great guy. No matter what frame you order, I have no doubt that you will be very happy with the service, the process and the result.

Generic tricycle; Bianchi kid's cruiser; Motobecane Gran Record; Olympia steel; Bridgestone RB-1; Strong Frames Foco custom steel; Pegoretti Marcelo.

[Nov 26, 2007]
colinmichael

OVERALL
Strength:

Snappy but sure handling, minimal frame flex due to the oversized tubing, great vibration absorption.

I have about 4k miles on this bike and love it just as much as the day I drove down to pick it up. I have to admit that I am more of a mountain biker than a roadie but I put in a lot of miles for training and find this bike not only comfortable enough for 100+ mile rides but also quick enough to keep up with all the shaved leg dudes...and when the roads get bumpy it just soaks it all up!
Climbing is great; light and flex free. I'm 175lbs so had it built with oversized tubing to prevent BB flex. I had Jim use more European geometry rather than US-style crit angles so it really fits my style well.
I have it set up with a Reynolds Ouzo Pro and '03 Campy Chorus, Thomson stem/post, wheels are just campy hubs with open pro's and still the weight is just 17.3lbs for my 59cm frame. The new SL frame is even lighter for anyone interested in counting grams. For me, it feels like nothing compared to the 29lb Nomad I normally ride! Not bad at all considering the stout build.
Honestly, it really doesn't make sense to spend all that money on some generic made-in-Taiwan carbon bike when for the same or less you can have Jim custom build you a beautiful Ti bike. Every weld is perfect, every angle designed just for me, custom Ti is alive and well! Jim is awesome to deal with and has an amazing amount of knowledge. Definitely look into buying a complete bike as he really knows the parts that will compliment your ride.

Bianchi steel frame

[Nov 19, 2007]
jack

OVERALL
Strength:

Great titanium ride.
Hand made.
Costume made.
Beautiful looking bike.
Great handling

Basically is a cyclocross frame, with road wheels and road tires.
I use it mainly as a road bike, since I do not race is really comfortable for me.
Extremely light and well crafted.

Kish mountain bike