LeMond Bicycles Etape Road Bike

Group:Shimano Tiagra/Sora

[Mar 15, 2012]
Pat Thompson

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight & very quick

The wheels supplied go out of tune fairly rapidly so i changed them for Shimano .otherwise a great value buy.

A great entry level bike. Very light and smooth very fast . Best value i have ever had the pleasure of purchasing.

[Jul 14, 2011]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

Good looks
Comfortable ride
Stable handling

Stock wheels and components very heavy
Finicky shifting from low end parts

I bought this bike with the intention of doing some triathlons but fell in love with cycling instead. I have around 4000kms on this bike and while I really like the frame, the low end components are a drag, and I plan to upgrade the wheels and drive train.

The mixed low-end Shimano group requires fairly frequent adjustment to keep the chain rubbing too much and the Bontrager crankset flexes noticeably under hard efforts up hill.

That said, I find the ride comfortable, and the bike is stable on fast 80km/h descents and turns reasonably well. I've ridden a few other lower end bikes and wouldn't trade my Lemond for any of them.

Trek 1200

[Jul 24, 2009]
Etniesarto

OVERALL
Strength:

Carbon forks, very light, great value

Original seat

I have recently bought a lemond etape and it is great. Much better than it's closest rival (trek 1000) which I have previously owned. The lemond etape is a great entry level bike for a great price.

Trek 1000

[Oct 28, 2008]
snydogg

OVERALL
Strength:

I love LeMonds frame design; very efficient and surprisingly light. Having carbon forks and seatpost is awesome considering the price. Very comfortable bike.

The position of the shifters isnt so good considering being in the drops. Wheels are a bit overweight as lots of weight can be shed there.

This is my first road bike and I must say it is awesome. My first season of riding I participated in RAGBRAI and absolutley loved this bike. I have received so many compliments on the bike and I have really gotten into road biking since with friends. I definitely recommend this bike for newcomers!

Trek equivalent

[Jan 10, 2008]
greenhead357

OVERALL
Strength:

price, relatively quick, light for the price, stable, and comfortable

saddle, thumb shifter is annoying, front derailleur

The Etape, like many other reviewers, was my first road bike. For the price it is a great bike to start on. I found this bike to be comfortable, stable (even on rapid (45+ mph) descents), fun to ride, very reliable, relatively quick, surprisingly light, and fun to ride. Has a stiff bottom bracket, good geometry, and is very responsive. I now have 2500+ miles on mine and it's still pulling strong.

I would recommend this bike to anyone getting into road riding because it is a quality bike without the sticker shock associated with some other bikes. The Shimano grouppo is precise, reliable and mechanically very sound, however mine does need frequent adjustments and the front derailleur is aggravating. However if you know you're going to ride thousands of miles a season, spring for a bike with higher level components, if you don't you'll be buying them later and putting them on the Etape. To keep the price down Lemond used lower end components (I didn't say cheap components just not SRAM Red / Dura Ace quality, or price) which wear out faster and are heavier. These components are perfectly acceptable but if you just totalled your Pinarello Prince this might not be the bike for you. Finally, if you don't like riding this bike you won't like any road bike and you saved youself some $$$.

I did upgrade the saddle and it was a big benefit. I also put on a Mavic wheel set which was huge, making the bike much lighter, faster, and laser straight. Going with the eggbeaters vs. strap on peddles was also a big help.

My main complaints are the stock saddle, thumb shifters, and the front derailleur. The thumb shifters are annoying and inconvenient but have been reliable and mechanically I have no complaints, I just don't like not being able to shift from the drops. The front derailleur only makes 3 of the 4 shifts; I've adjusted it, the bike shop has adjusted it several times and it never works right.

Overall a great bike for the money, I recommend it to anyone genuinely interested in cycling, if you buy this bike you won't be disappointed.

[Nov 24, 2007]
PacIslanderPat

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable aluminum frame and carbon fork.

Good geometry for long comfortable rides.

Great for beginner riders, but the original components can be lacking for the more experienced rider, but accepts new/more advanced components easily.

I'd been riding for years and wanted to take the plunge into road. Riding down a mountain road one day I met a car head on, both of us doing roughly 45mph according to the police report. Apart from taco-ing my wheel/tire, some crankset, shifter, and brake damage my bike was unscathed. The frame and fork were flawless (minus some roadrash). After a year of recovery I jumped right back on my Etape and began riding again, and it preformed perfectly (obviously with newer versions of the previously mentioned components.).

Trek 1000

[Oct 18, 2007]
Rzar

OVERALL
Strength:

Price
Comfort
Giving you the feel of a road bike
Looks (many asked me if it was a full carbon bike)

None for this price.

This was my first road bike and is great as an entry level road or commuter bike. This bike is very comfortable. I love Lemond's geometry. I was surprised to get a carbon fork for the price.

2007 Lemond Chambery (Carbon / Aluminum)

[Sep 05, 2007]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

Carbon forks and seat post
Bontrager components
Quick!!
Cheap for what it is.

rough gear changes at times.
the pedas arent always the best when pulling out at a junction.
but other than that its a very good bike.

The Etape is my firstroad bike and i was amazingly pleased with it, excellent components for the price, i never expected to get carbon forks and seat post within my budget, overall a very good very quick bike.

[Aug 03, 2007]
Robert

OVERALL
Strength:

Good components for the price, carbon seat post, stock saddle is working well for me thus far. Felt better than the Trek 1000 and better component than Giant OCR3 for the same price.

As to be expected with the lower end components, shifting isn't always as smooth as I would like, but not too bad either.

Great ride thus far, only about 75 miles on it after a week. I'm new to the road so this bike seems to do everything I want it too. The components are pretty good for the price, almost the same as the Trek 100 and having the Triple has been nice for a newer rider especially in the hills on the blue ridge.

Trek 1000 and 1500
Giant OCR 2 and 3
Specialized Allez

[Aug 02, 2007]
Terry Riley

OVERALL
Strength:

price, decent componants for the money and its quick!

For me getting back into road bikes after 15 years i cannot find fault, honest

I love this bike, after riding mountain bikes for the last 5 years i decided to take the plunge and buy a road bike. For a entry level bike i think this is superb, it has a great spec for the price and i love the relaxed geometry, oh and it looks good too, i have had a couple of comments from pedestrians saying how good the bike looks riding the bike to work and at the weekends