LeMond Bicycles Maillot Jaune Road Bike

Tires: 700 x 23c Bontrager Race Lite

[Aug 20, 2007]
Randall Nixon

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike is a pure road racer. It adapts well to criterium situations ( I race mostly crits), but is best suited as a road beast -- stiff but supple, light but not "whippy". Above all, it is very well behaved. The "spine" of the bike -- head tube, down tube, and chain stays -- is made of steel. The "cockpit" -- fork, top tube, seat tube, and wishbone seat stays -- is made of carbon fiber. This, according to LeMond, produces the ideal combination of both stiffness and compliance. It also has a very conservative geometry, with a 73 degree head tube angle, a 72.5 degree seat tube angle, and a relatively low bottom bracket.

This bike is slightly heavier than other all-carbon frames. But that additional weight goes to the right places -- the power center and the stress points of the bike. The result is a reassuring sense of stability, especially on long descents and on rough roads. At 175 lbs, I need a fairly stiff bike, and the Maillot Jaune fits the bill.

I purchased this bike after having test ridden it several times. I chose it because of its conservative design philosophy, its ride quality, and its cosmetics. It is also considerably cheaper than other comparably equipped bikes.

Hollands Custom, Poliaghi Italcorse, Bottecchia Sprint

[Jun 03, 2007]
Zack Geyer

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbs and long rides. makes for a gentle ride

Little more flex than what i like but not too bad, and not the lightest frame

For long distance riding and intermediate racing it is the best bike there is. Smoothest ride possible by a road bike. Awesome climber.

Giant TCR 1, Trek Madone SL 5.2, Felt (cant remember model now, and quite a few others

[Jul 31, 2006]
UglyBagofWater

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, stability, and agility. This bird yearns to fly at every corner, hill, and sprint zone. One of the nicest riding bikes on centuries for a racer. Gets a lot off oohs and ahhs, especially with the custom paint job.

Paint was mediocre. Repainted to an exotic metallic ruby red. LeMond loves to show his name with all the cheap decals too. Retail price was high for a steel/carbon bike.

After riding a Kestrel 200EMS that was too tall for me, and after I built several LeMond Zurich's for friends, I was asked to build a 2004 57cm Zurich and I fell in love with the fit and performance. Two weeks later, I found a 2004 Maillot Jaune to transfer my Dura Ace components to and have no regrets (but sadness) in leaving the Kestrel behind.

LeMond Zurich, Kestrel 200EMS, Kestrel 200SCi, Trek 2000.

[Aug 29, 2005]
anuywaka

OVERALL
Strength:

smoothness and comfort

paint job small bubbles in clear coat

Finally finding the bike that fits me I have enjoyed the last three rides since purchasing my Lemond. I have found the comfort and geometry just what I was looking for. I'm not overally concerned about weight, rather just wanted something stable and efficient. I got both with this bike.

Specialized S-works Seven Trek

[Apr 03, 2005]
satanick

OVERALL
Strength:

reasonable weight, looks are classy not flashy, gerat build kit. Comfy seat.

wiiiide handlebar, stupid plastic wannabe headbadge I already took off- G Lemond's dumb comments on Lance- great PR move for someone in the Trek family- not.

Butter Rocket- with solid parts pick - smooth yet responsive- answers evrything I give it. Dampens New England roads like a champ.

steel Columbus MS Basso steel Ishiwata Bianchi

[Mar 31, 2005]
tyroja00

OVERALL
Strength:

- Comfortable, smooth ride. - Responsive. - Controllable. - Relatively light for a bike with steel.

- Paint seemed fragile with some imperfections. - No performance weaknesses.

Finally took it out for a real ride yesterday and it was better than I thought it would be. Lemond geometry fits me well. Very comfortable and road chatter was minimal. Surprised by the ride characteristics. The bike was buttery smooth making me think that it wouldn't respond very well. But, when I got to hills and came off the saddle, the bike responded immediately and straight, no flexing. On descents, the bike felt in control and not jittery. The bike likes to keep the wheels on the road. This was my first long ride of the season and I did not feel beat up by the frame. Great racer that can be used for some long hauls. Perfect for steel riders wanting a lighter, faster steed.

Various lemonds, giants, specialized, trek, and cannondale bikes.

[May 23, 2004]
kward

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, stiffness, comfortable ride.

None, other than personal prefs

REALLY light, responsive frame. It should be noted that the steel portion of this frame is no longer Reynolds 853, but is True Temper OSX Platinum (very nice tubeset). Ride characteristics are solid. Climbs really well, out of saddle efforts are responsive.

Rode 4 all steel frames before this.