LeMond Bicycles Sarthe Road Bike

Wheels: Bontrager Race Group: Shimano 105/Ultegra

[Oct 23, 2011]
M. B. Blacketer

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice mix of components for the price; I'm more interested in durability and function than weight or "trick" factors. Great ride quality, I love the springiness.

Seat is not the best . . .

I'm somewhat new to the game and this is my second Lemond; I have a 2004 Buenos Aires that I've been riding - mostly between 25 to 50 mile days - and I was looking for a second bike for cruddy weather. I bought this bike with a bunch of accessories and it had less than 150 miles on it since new.
The bike has nice mix of newer stuff on it - the carbon fork, 10 speed, and newer Ultegra shifters are way better than my Ultegra 9 speed stuff and earlier model carbon fork. This bike is compliant and springy, but still stiff enough on gear mashing climbs. I'm never going to race, just want to keep in shape and enjoy the long rides on country roads, so the weight of steel and the lack of carbon just aren't an issue for me. I will probably have to upgrade the seat and I'm sure I'll feel a need to add ultegra/dura ace cassette, front derailleur, and possible crank someday, but not until I wear this stuff out - it really works great just as it is.

2004 Lemond Buenos Aires

[Jul 27, 2010]
Harijs

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride quality of steel frame and carbon fork, convert to steel frames due to this bike, Italian Campy components, excellent fit, frame built in USA and I like the retro graphics with the nod towards Merckx/Molteni orange!

Saddle on the narrow side, Keith must have a small butt!, chrome started to peel off Bontrager cranks after about two years, (never ridden in rain) now looks ugly, will replace. Tires, after a week new Bontrager tire suddenly popped and consequently nicked the rim, also wore very quickly and needed replacing, frame welds uneven and not the prettiest though frame does feel solidly built using high quality tubing.

Model "Sarthe" - Overall I have been very happy and satisfied with this bicycle. I've ridden it consistently the past 3 years plus all over Santa Cruz county, and it still performs well. The fit is very comfortable for me, and the Campy Veloce components are excellent, still performing flawlessly. Bontrager wheels are very much holding up. Not that light at 19 lbs total weight but worth it for the ride quality with its more relaxed old school geometry. This bike should last for years to come. Lemond doesn't make bikes anymore but you can probably buy this used.

Steel frame bikes, Redline Monocog 26" and 29er, Cannondale aluminum road bike, Trek carbon fiber road bike...

[Nov 21, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything has been fine.

I didn't like the saddle (see above).

My triple Sarthe came with Campagnolo Veloce shifters, brakes, and derailleurs. This has performed fine, but shifts are a little noisy compared to my previous Iron Horse Victory with Ultegra. I ride about 100 miles per week, including winter. This groupe is still like new. Wheels are Bontrager Race. I have read mixed reviews about these wheels. Mine have only required minor truings, and not often. The orange and cream color was the reason I bought the bike. It still attracts attention --even from riders with bikes costing a few times more. I buy good racing clinchers, and this bike is great flying down our "hills", which are up to 1,100 vertical rise. I didn't like the saddle, so I bought a limited edition Brooks Sprint with titanium metal parts. Saddles are personal. I wish bikes came without saddles, not just pedals.

Previously an Iron Horse Victory will 100% Ultegra -- another good steelie.

[Aug 30, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

ultegra group, price. looks good, smooth ride

Bontrager saddle and bontrager triple crank

I ride my bike to work 10 miles away and then I like to ride the up and down the coast in San Diego. I am very happy with my bike. Is very smooth and it doesnt feel harsh like aluminum. I recomend it if you like steel. It is not that heavy, but It definetly isnt as light as carbon fiber. I am 6'3" and 140lbs, I ride the 61cm, Feels good might have considered the 59cm though.

Giant OCR3, SR semi-pro

[Mar 19, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Here we go...STEEL IS REAL! Classic Lemond geometry . Timeless looks . price

Bought my orange Sarthe [frame w/ 2 forks]thru ebay. Listed as 53 but twas really a 51 [I'm 5'9"].. I was bummed,but when it arrived I assembled it and was surprised that it fit's me very well. I really love it that I rarely ride my Alu/cabon framed Aprisa team [soon to be listed thru craigslist].
The bike rides like a cadillac, It's so comfortable that I chose it over the Aprisa for my first Napa century. Got a lot of compliments from othe riders.

Fuji robaix 853 steel

[Mar 03, 2008]
MTBtraitor

OVERALL
Strength:

- Ultegra/105 group mix
- sweet frame
- ride, handling, road feel, climbing

- Bontrager saddle; my LBS swapped it out for a Selle San Marco Aspide at no charge, but I hate that one too, so I'm going to go for the same Specialized Avatar gel that I have on my Stumpjumper
- Bontrager Race wheelset & Race Lite tires -- they're OK, but I'm ditching them soon for a lighter higher-performance setup
- my girlfriend is going to leave me if I spend any more time riding the Sarthe ;)

Mine is the 2008 model. The geometry seems to suit me well (I'm 5'10 and ride a 53 cm frame). I personally love the azure blue/off-white color combination. The Sarthe has a timeless look that I feel will age well, unlike some of the flashier stuff made today. So far, on many short rides (<10 mi) and one longer (50 mi) ride, it sails along ever so smoothly, the way one would expect from the True Temper OX Platinum steel frame. I don't have any qualms with its marginally heavier weight (21 lbs w/Crank Bros Smarty pedals, cages, bike bag, computer, etc). I used MTB pedals intentionally so that I could share shoes w/my Stumpy, because I'm cheap. So with true road shoes and a lighter wheelset, the overall weight could drop significantly lower.

The Sarthe climbs long steep grades with ease and aplomb. Descending is even better, as the Sarthe has handling that is lively and gives good road feel while still being calm enough to retain a sense of stability. The bike loves to swoop through fast corners, though I'm guessing you'd want to look elsewhere for a crit bike (but I'm no racer).

The Ultegra/105 group mix is a solid choice, and competitive for the price. I will probably switch over to SRAM Force as soon as I have some extra cash, but that's hardly necessary. I love this bike so far, and can highly recommend it to anyone looking for a sweet-riding and sweet-looking road bike that can do everything from your daily commute to centuries to sprinting against your friends. It probably isn't for the serious racer, but you knew that, and shouldn't even be reading this. Shame on you...

tested: 07 LeMond Chambery, Bianchi 928 C2C, Specialized Roubaix Comp

[Nov 28, 2007]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

ultegra were it counts
08' has race-X-lite fork
Steel is Real

mine is 1.25 pounds heavier than the aluminum bike i looked at.

mine is the new 08' The color is not for everyone but it has grown on me. The bike rides exellent. I have ridden madones and this bike feels great at half the price.

Trek 3.2 Madone
Lemond Victoire D-ace
trek 1500

[Apr 03, 2007]
Big show

OVERALL
Strength:

The ride. The quality of the build. The backup of the trek company. The fit for a tall rider.

I would rather have had an Ultegra crank but the Bontrager works fine. The fork and seatpost are carbon but not the highest in the Bonty line.

I'm 6'5" 215 lb and really like the feel and shock absortion of steel.I had considered a custom made frame but the 61 cm frame really fit me well. When Lemond got the S3 steel that sealed the deal. I love the classic look of steel and the ride is everything its supposed to be. I have done centuries and just lots of riding period. Riding a product made locally is important too.At first I wasn't sold on the black and gold color but is has really grown on me and I think it is very good looking. I thought about a Madone but stayed with steel upgraded the wheels instead of going carbon. I highly recomend this bike.

Buenos Aires, Madone

[Mar 26, 2007]
Andrew

OVERALL
Strength:

A comfortable, reasonably priced, American-made steel frame with a nearly complete Ultegra group for under $2,000? Why have I only seen about three or four of these things on the road? Fit and finish are excellent. And Trek's customer service has been excellent.

Apparently, Trek has had a lot of problems with its Bontrager triple cranks. Shifting from my 39 to my 52 required wrist-wrenching contortions -- and threw the chain about 50 percent of the time. Not exactly safe. But the factory reps are aware of the problem, and the shop I bought my bike at, at least, has a bunch of Ultegra cranks handy to remedy the situation at no cost. The difference is night and day. Also, the stock saddle is complete, cushy crap -- padded without really absorbing anything. I replaced the wheels out of a personal preference for something bomb-proof, though the Race wheels weren't too bad.

This is my first road bike, and the first bike I've owned since I was a kid, so my frame of reference is limited to the bikes I tested pretty thoroughly (I hemmed and hawed over the purchase for about three months.) before deciding on the LeMond. Nothing else I rode felt quite like the Sarthe. Oddly enough, the bikes with compact geometry didn't feel as responsive or as stable (I have a long upper torso, so the Sarthe's traditional geometry fits me better.). And while I bought the bike for the frame, the Sarthe was very well equipped for a bike that was squarely in the middle of my price range. I'm absolutely smitten by the old school paint job and chrome accents, and, well, it's quite the bargain.

Bianchi Eros, Giant OCR carbon, LeMond Chambery, Cannondale R1000, Specialized Roubaix Comp

[Mar 24, 2007]
newbie

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable, dependable smooth fast ride.

Bought a used 2005 Sarthe after research. Chose the 2005 due to the Campy Veloce Groupset. Bike is size 55cm, I'm 5'9" with short legs long torso so the Lemond frame with it's long top tube fits me well. I ride several times a week for a 20 minute cardio workout, average speed 21mph, top speed around 38mph. My first real roadbike, but it does shift better than the shimano equiped bikes I've ridden. Bike is a bit heavy, but it is extremely smooth and fast, very comfortable for longer rides also. Very pleased with bike put over 1,000 miles on it fairly quickly and never had any problems.