Leopard Cycles M1 Road Bike

Two years in development, Leopard Cycles introduces the M1, Leopard's first monocoque carbon road bike. The M1 preserves the hallmark ride quality of the CL1 while improving weight and stiffness with new tubeset designs. All bikes are custom painted and are available with all major Shimano, Campagnolo, or SRAM groupsets and numerous wheel and component options.

[Jul 26, 2012]
Damian Gonzalez

OVERALL
Strength:

Laterally stiff when under pedaling with high power. Light and smooth ride with aero design.

Seat collar is light weight so you need to be aware not to over tighten or it will break but that said you do not need to over tighten for post to stay put.

I raced 2012 Olympic Wildflower Triathlon and finished 6th overall on this bike out of 2000+ athletes. I put some draft legal bars and the bike worked out great for me for both road racing and triathlon.

[Jul 11, 2012]
Jim

OVERALL
Strength:

I upgraded 2 1/2 years ago from a salsa. The leopard rides like a dream solid lateral stiffness compliant vertical ride. Great for this older rider who loves 60 + mile rides. Slightly less then my age. With more then 11 k miles it looks and rides like new.

Can't think of one other then the rider.

The leopard is the kind if bike that lures you to make time to ride it. I'm not a road bike expert but this bike feels very solid and the handling is fantastic. If I was buying another road bike I would be back at leopard.
For now the leopard and my Tomac Carbide mountain bike have me covered.
Happy trails

Salsa with scandium frame & carbon fork & seat stay.

[Mar 03, 2010]
sbt

OVERALL
Strength:

Handling, responsiveness, weight. Looks great too.

None for the bike. Website doesn't do it justice.

I purchased a 2010M1SL a few weeks ago, and after a few long and hard rides I can't say enough good things about this bike. The ride is fantastic--stiff for acceleration but still very smooth over bumps. It's lively up hill and solid going down, corners like a dream. I tried out the Cervelo R3 and S2 and a Tarmac, and this wins. The R3 was most similar, but I like the handling of the Leopard more. Also had a bunch of questions about sizing, and the guys at Leopard were great at helping me get it right. When the bike came it was spot on.

Tested Cervelo R3 and S2 and Specialized Tarmac. Had been riding a Lemond Zurich.

[Jan 21, 2009]
Raoul

OVERALL
Strength:

stiffness, comfort, responsiveness

none so far unless you count the fact that due to the radically shaped tubes you can't use a conventional bike stand - I'm actually buying a BB cradle, fork mount stand (like the pros use) to accommodate it (even the seatpost is diamond shaped). Just saying...

It's a 2008 but I couldn't select that from the pull down!
The bike is phenomenal - everything I was hoping for - comfortable, no road vibration, stiff, responsive, quick, etc. Quality seems to be top shelf, paint job is terrific... The Fulcrum Racing Zeros get a shout out for being the nicest wheels I've personally ridden. Yipee!

Basso Devil (alum), Trek 2300 (carbon)

[Mar 14, 2008]
gerald sylvester

OVERALL
Strength:

Damping of bumps yet phenomenally responsive on descents, nicer bike than from a big manufacturer at a cheaper price, beyond phenomenal customer service which is worth its weight it carbon

None.

I had a bunch of questions and little customization questions and all emails and voicemails were replied to within a few hours. Great customer service and beyond willing to go the extra mile. Ask and you'll be pleasantly rewarded....dream it and you'll get it.

I picked mine up in person so that saved money on S&H and the crate. They even loaned me a shorter and longer stem for while I took my brand new bike to the bike fitter only a short distance from the Leopard. Again, amazing customer service.

After riding it for about 800 miles over varied terrain, I absolutely love the bike. It climbs great. It descends even better....felt like I was ripping Giant Slalom turns they way it accelerated out of the turns even at about 45+ mph and smooth over bumps with very predictable handling. Beautiful ride.

My small M1 frame, Dura-Ace with 12-25, EC70 handle bars, Rol d'Huez wheels (excellent wheels), speedplay Zero Ti, and two Zipp carbon cages (included without asking...again, amazing customer service), my small HR monitor watch and cyclometer came out to 16 pounds 7 ounces. (no frame pump, nor baggie).

It might be weird to drop big money on a bike sight unseen but you won't disappointed. Highly recommended.

Test rode Trek, Look, Orbea, Specialized, Ridley, Giant, Scott, Time,

[Nov 25, 2007]
Darrell Alexander

OVERALL
Strength:

stiff,light,responsive and gorgeous.If you want a bike that stands out from the crowd,this it.

I purchased the M1 frame from Leopard and had my local bike shop guru,Roger Guzman,build it.It is by far the most responsive bike I've ever owned and it climbs like a dream.I was able to cut an hour off my previous best time of our local epic called the Climb to Kaiser.155miles,14,000ft.of climbing.The M1 is also stable on long technical descents.Visually,it's stunningly beautiful.The monocoque frame's tubing is multi shaped and the mix of candy metallic paint and translucency causes lots of heads to turn.Did I also mention that the M1 is very light? The way mine is built, including pedals,cages,and computer hardware is 15 1/2 lbs.

Orbea Orca,Kuota Khan

[Nov 08, 2007]
twjudson

OVERALL
Strength:

Price and outstanding customer service. Whenever I had a question, the folks at Leopard were very responsive. Although I was not able to test ride the bike before I purchase it, I really don't consider this a drawback. I wasn't able to test ride any of the custom built frames that I have owned either, and everything worked out well.

The only drawback was having to wait three weeks for the bike. However, the wait was worth it.

The bike is great. My last bike was a custom made steel frame; however, I had no problem getting an exact fit. The large frame size was perfect. I still think that steel rides more comfortable than carbon fiber, but the weight tradeoff was worth it. The bike handles exceptionally well. The paint job is terrific. I did quite a bit of research before purchasing my M1 frame, and there other good bikes available. The problem is that they are all $2000-3000 more expensive. There is no question that the M1 is the best frame on the market for the price.