Lynskey Performance Designs Helix Road Bike

Optimum performance and advanced frame technology make the Helix rise above the rest. The Lynskey pioneered Helix tubing technology, with its unique spiral shape, creates a remarkably light, stiff and stable platform. Built around competition geometry for aggressive riding, the frame utilizes a Helix down tube, top tube and seatstays which resist torsional forces and impart excellent stability, precise handling and a power to the pedals that will no doubt remind you why you chose to start riding in the first place.

[Sep 02, 2018]
algree345

OVERALL
Strength:

I just purchased a 2017 Lynskey Helix Sport frame in Extra Large. I took about a week to arrive, which was much faster than I expected. I bought the bare frame on ebay and then the fork and headset separately. The frame headtube is tapered but the fork I purchased is a straight 1-1/8" steerer, so I had to purchase a crown race conversion headset. I'm coming off a 60cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, which is a Colombus SLX frame. I had a 1988 Somec 63cm frame prior, so I've been riding steel road bikes for 30 years. I love the feeling of steel, but living on the coast is not conducive to long term steel use as the dampness and salt adds to rust spots. I was also curious how a modern Ti frame would feel and ride. OK. This frame is MUCH stiffer than the Corsa Extra. On old routes, I'm riding 2mph faster overall. I take hills much faster, and can stay in lower gears out of the saddle than the old bike. It rides straight and true and handles more nimbly and I can take corners with far greater confidence. It fits about the same as the old bike, but the endurance geometry means my position is more upright and this is more comfortable. In terms of road buzz and feel, the steel bike was more cushioned. This ti frame feels smooth, but not as plush as the steel bike. I mounted 28mm tires on the bike. Clearance in the rear is fine, but up front there is just 2mm around the tire. In terms of weight, I went from 22lbs on the Corsa Extra to 18lbs on the Helix Sport. With a few 105 to Dura Ace upgrades, and lighter wheels, I think I can shave another 400 grames. But already, this bike is ligher, stiffer, faster, and better handling than the legendary Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra. Sorry I waited so long to upgrade.

It could be cheaper.Tire clearance up front could be a few mm wider and taller.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2017
[Feb 24, 2016]
Boerd

OVERALL
Strength:

Comes with fantastic, I repeat fantastic customer care.
Timeless machine. Satin finish is an understated beauty. Great ride quality.

Not a Lynskey originated problem but - the chain is noisy if not properly oiled. Really noisy. I am using Sram Red 22.

I bought my bike 10/2015 and rode it hard. 3-4 times a week up Mount Diablo (Northern California). I needed a road bike I can trust on Mount Diablo so I chose Lynskey Helix. The bike is super, the frame is a work of art. The pictures don't do justice - when you see a Lynskey up close is impressive.
Now - the back tire developed a split on the side and had to be replaced. I bought a Continental 4000 mk II and after 3 weeks or so I see that the same side of the back tire is wearing out and the writing (the Conti logo) is starting to disappear. Then I see the problem: while the right side of the back fork has 2 or 3 mm clearance the left side has under 1 mm. Any time the wheel moves 1 mm to the left (due to less than perfect roads here in CA) the rubber touches the frame. I had to call Lynskey - really not looking forward to the kind of discussion I had to have with them.
Now - to my surprise, they owned the problem from the beginning. No fuss, no ifs, nothing. I had to do is send them detailed photos with the back fork and the wheel. That's that. No games, no playing around.
The best part: They are building me a 2016 Lynskey identical with the one I have - BRAND NEW!
I think it is rare you get this kind of customer service. Yes, they are small and at times it takes a few tries to get to talk with them, but make no mistake: they will take care of you.

[Oct 25, 2015]
Tony

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride quality
Handling
Frame build quality
Looks
Warranty

Weight

Bought the frame from the LBS and built up with parts (Ultegra running gear, Cube Syntace cockpit, seatpost, etc) from a bike that had been written off in a crash. Forked out for a Brooks saddle to finish it off.
The saddle is still bedding in but after years of riding carbon, the first thing I noticed was the smoothness of the ride. Bumps are still felt but the sharpness of them is smoothed out beautifully. And handling...this thing descends like a bomb and feels extremely stable. The extra weight over carbon is noticeable when climbing but on the flat it moves pretty well when at speed.
I purchased mainly to use as a commuter/training/all purpose bike and so far have not been disappointed.
The frame and welding quality is great and even though a little pricey, it's a frame that should last forever.

[Jun 25, 2015]
425bulldog

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome bike. Way more bike than I'll ever need.

I always get complements on it where ever I ride. Not a lot of them on the road so people always do a double take.

Bottom Bracket is noisy and total garbage.

Love the bike but annoyed with customer service at Lynskey.

I purchased a complete assembled bike from the Lynskey website in April 2015. (2015 Helix with the Force 22 group). Day one mile one the bottom bracket had a creaking sound every time the crank goes around. Annoying for a $6k bike with zero miles on it.
I'd also likely have a local shop build the bike if I did it again. That way I'd have someone local to help trouble shoot it right out of the gate. Lynskey kind of threw the parts together and didn't do a great job of QC on the assembly. The bike, frame, were all perfect just things were not adjusted properly and the bottom bracket wasn't pressed in right.
I've been in and out of the local bike shop about 5 times now and each time they've taken apart the crank, added / removed spacers, grease, torqued bolts, trying to do the cheap fixes. Next will be to remove the bottom bracket and replace it was one that is a little higher end. Hopefully that will fix the problem and it's not an issue with the frame.
My simple warning is the bottom bracket supplied with this package is garbage. It's the cheapest of the cheap and has no business on a $6k bike. It's made noise from day one. Michael at Lynskey said to take it to a local shop and they would reimburse me for the shop time to get it fixed. Sent the receipt for $25 and never got the response back from Lynskey or check in the mail like Michael promised.

Regardless of the $25 bucks and $150-200 I need to spend to get a proper bottom bracket this bike is awesome.
Love the way it climbs, handles etc. Definitely a great bike for the money and once it's fully dialed in I'm looking forward to many years of riding on this frame.

[Jun 20, 2015]
Eric

OVERALL
Strength:

Only had the chance to do a short ride. The first thing I noticed is that it responds instantly to every pedal stroke.... will add to this review after a few longer rides.

None so far

So far, so good.

2014 Masi Evoluzione MRI, 2008 Bianchi 928, 2012 Focus Izalco Team

[Apr 10, 2015]
Pete Sabin

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiffness, smooth ride, SRAM Red 22, aesthetics, great sales/support process.

None that I have found so far.

I received my 2015 Helix with SRAM Red 22 grupo last week and have had the opportunity to ride it a few times now. In short, it's fantastic! It's not quite as light as a similar carbon frame, but at 6'1" and 220 lbs I just don't like carbon bikes. I've destroyed one carbon frame already and the stiffness of them translates into a lot of vibration that I can feel robbing me of forward momentum. Not so with the Helix, the Ti frame absorbs rough Tucson roads with ease. I'll be pedaling without much effort and look down at my computer to find that I'm going 3 mph faster than I thought I was. I'm looking forward to many years of enjoying this bike!

[Apr 09, 2015]
Ron urris

OVERALL
Strength:

Very stiff and a smooth ride.

I have a Giant Advance TCR SL with Campy Super Record 11. Under 15lbs. A great riding bike. Best I have ever been on.
Then I built the Lynskey Helix with SRAM Red 22 with Fulcrum Racing Zero's. Came in around 16 lbs. You can't put it in words or explain how this thing rides. Something about how it response to everything you give it. Climbs like you have a motor. I ride 4000 miles a year so comfort is a major key for me. This is a dream bike. I wish I had it 5 years ago. People have ask me what king of training I did over the winter because of my performance difference. Well it is about the bike. Don't hesitate, you will see what we all are saying. The only bad news is, I had to spend the money and buy my wife a Lynskey. Guess what same response.
Ride safe, what ever you ride.

[Jan 27, 2015]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride quality
Quality of workmanship
Overall appearance

Nothing that I can find.

I picked up this frame during the year end clearance sale after asking all sorts of questions to Michael through the instant messenger on the web page. Every time I had one of my picky questions, he had an answer that I couldn't find fault with.
Bought the frame as a "I'll build this up later" type project. Within 3 weeks I broke down and built it up. The frame alone just looked too amazing to just leave for a "some day" project. I stripped down another bike and built it up full Ultegra with an Enve fork and a set of wheels I had. I knew how everything else felt on other bikes. What I was not prepared for was the way that bike handles. I came back from my first ride with a dumb grin that I couldn't shake loose.

Rides like a dream. Accelerates like a bullet. Climbs like a billy goat. And descends like its on rails. Zero high speed shimmy that I have been able to find.

Odd part. I have a 15lb carbon bike that climbs great. This bike is 3 lbs heavier and climbs like its 10lbs lighter. I haven't ridden any of my other road bikes since I got this. And have even sold a couple. Best feeling bike I have ever owned.

[Jan 26, 2015]
Stefano

Strength:

Look
Quality of Welding
Geometry

Lack of internale brake cable routing
Decals

I bought an XL frame over last christmas sale. I then added my existing Campy Record groupset as well as an Enve Fork 2.0 tapered which is what Lynsey suggests.
In order to ride a Campy groupset in the PF30 bottom bracket, you need a proper adaptor. I chose to use the Praxis BB Adapter for PF30 for $85. Let me detail few points on the build and the ride:
+++BUILD++++
- if you will build the bike yourself you will notice the amazing craftsmanship of the frame. Every little part screams quality.
- the head tube includes this year integrated HS cups hence you will only need tapered bearings. Lynsey has both CC or FSA on sale on their website. Very easy to install the fork and Lynsey can install the crown race for you free of charge
- it has classic external cable routing. very easy to install and maintain
- as I mentioned above this year Lynskey is using PF30 bottom brackets on all their build. Its very important to choose the right adapter to avoid squeaks and clicks. I recommend Praxis adapter. Don't even bother using cups without the middle sleeve.
- in order to avoid galling make sure you use grease and anti-seize generously. I use anti-seize when pressing the BB adapter and on the seatpost. Grease everywhere else.
- there is a lot of confusion about tire clearance. Lynskey changed chainstays specs in 2013 to accomodate modern aero deep wheelsets. There is absolutely no issue now running modern deep-profile rims. I run a 2015 Reynolds Aero 58 which is almost 27mm wide and i have plenty of clearance. Same applies to tires. I run Continental Gran Prix II 700x25 which in reality are 26.2mm and no issue whatsoever.
- modern carbon fork such as Enve, now requires to be cut ABOVE the stem. Do not cut the steerer tube below stem's upper bound as this will not guarantee proper grip of the compression plug. As a consequence, when installing the top cup, you will need a spacer. Enve recommends at least 5mm. I used a 10mm.

++++RIDE++++
- the Helix is labelled as Pro geometry; however as per Lynskey description, the geometry is more relaxed than the R3xx and R4xx series. I can confirm that. The ride is very comfy. Not necessarily too upright, but just right if you looking to do centuries etc.
- I run 40mm spacers cause i wanted to have a more relaxed ergonomics, however given longer head tube, I feel I can drop it safely to 15-20mm.
- great handling of road potholes and grip when cornering. I felt confident to really push my limit. The frame is stiff but maintains the Ti magic feeling. Exactly what i was expecting.

What I would change:
- internal cable routing at least for brake cables.
- decals..they fixed the issue in 2015 with nice metals 3D logos. Great job on that
- braze-on clip for front derailleurs. Makes the overall look cleaner
- they changed the twisted top tube with what they called super tube...I prefer the twisted top tube I hope they will switch back to it in the next models.

[Jan 25, 2015]
Tony G

OVERALL
Strength:

Clean build with great welding, light, fast and climbs well. Unique design...I like that.

None and getting it at a great, discounted price was even better.

Wanted a Ti bike for some time. Waited patiently and then it happened...Lynskey was having a clear-out and I was the owner of a Helix frame for under $2K in under 2 minutes...wow! I purchased the Lynskey carbon fork which is an ENVE fork with Lynskey logos...I wanted that. Built it out with Campy group and Zipps along with Easton cockpit.
The result is a 16 pound missile which is fast and climbs incredibly well...for some reason and it may be the Campy Record groupset, it feels lighter. Its incredibly responsive and the parts are just right for me. Although its stiff there's not as much chatter, maybe the 25s on it help and I keep them at 90 and 100 front and back respectively.
I have carbon and steel bikes...this Ti bike is a great addition to the team...better than I hoped for.
Happy that the Lynskey family got back into building Ti bikes because 2 things are true: First they are experts who deliver a quality product and Second, Made in the USA (even though I am Canadian) can deliver real quality.
Michael at Lynskey was right when he said, after I asked about 'the ride quality"...he said..."Strap in"...he wasn't kidding!
Thanks Lynskey!