Lynskey Performance Designs Houseblend Helix Road Bike

• 1 1/8" headtube

[Apr 15, 2014]
Pat P

OVERALL
Strength:

Beautiful, light, well built, welds are smooth, a climber of a bike, strong bottom bracket, quick pick up, I read a lot of reviews, talked a lot with the sales rep, took a chance, and I have no regrets, it is the last bike I will own...unless of course I buy another to hang on my wall because it is a work of art...

Best purchase I have made to date.

[Dec 07, 2012]
Mike P

OVERALL
Strength:

The handling, smooth and predictable, not twitchy whatsover. Being my first titanium framed bike, I am truly amazed at how it rides, it has a soft, smooth ride over the pavement but is ready to jump with the slightest pedal input. Corners like its on rails.

The unique look of the Helix is sure to get some attention on local rides.

None.

Having had the bike only a couple of weeks, I do believe it will be my favorite as each time I have ridden it I find myself looking forward to the next ride.

Don Erwin....Thanks again for all your help and support, I am looking forward to the 6 Gap next year on the Helix.

[Oct 17, 2012]
Sufian Ahmad

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, stable, pretty, fast, comfortable at slow and fast speeds. Buy it if you wanta comfortable yet fast quality ride.

People keep on asking why is the top tube like so.... And the headset is a bit tall, thus geometry is definitely a bit more upright. But at the drops, it does not matter. Dont nuy it if you want to be aggressive even at the hoods.

I do triathlons and century rides, and this bike is definitely better than i will ever be. Took me a while to get used to the geometry, coming off my other road bike (aluminium) which is less upright position orientated, but once you get used to it the bike appeals more and more each day.

I use a tri bike for my longer distance triathlons (half ironman and above), but for ride pleasure the Helix it is.

Polygon Helios 600 2010 (aluminium roadie), GT avalanche 1.0 2007(mtb), Specialized SHIV 2012 (carbon tribike)

[Oct 16, 2012]
Delia

OVERALL
Strength:

lively ride, perfect amount of spring, dampens rough road but stiff and responsive. i am "RWS" (rough with shi*) and this frame is durable, impossible to ding, scratch (with my carbon bike, I would dink/dent the frame from just lifting my leg over the bike if my cleat just happened to catch the frame...or if I leaned it up against a fence). Aesthetically, the polished silver is tough to beat....it is just a beautiful bike. I am a minimalist and chose not to even have the decals. I wasn't crazy about my Carbon Felt because of all the paint and colors.

I am told Ti is heavier than Carbon but I honestly don't feel the difference.

I am relatively new to cycling. I am a runner and used to marathon once a month. When I broke my foot and couldn't run for 6 weeks, I took up cycling to keep my cardio fitness. I purchased an all carbon Felt. Within the first few months, the frame looked pathetic with all the dings and scratches. A friend recommended Ti to me after hearing my complaints. As a woman, I care what my bike looks like (not just how it rides). I love the look of my Helix. It is beautiful. I am impressed by how smooth the ride feels. Even after 80 miles of riding, I don't feel the road wear on my body the way my carbon bike did. I have just recently raced it in a half ironman and I was very happy with it. I raced it recently and loved the responsiveness of it. It feels like the bike is an extension of my body with how lively the ride is. I am probably never going back to a carbon road bike again, unless I need a beater...but then again, why would I need a beater when I have a durable frame that will last me forever and act as my race day bike and my training bike!

[Oct 14, 2012]
Mike D

OVERALL
Strength:

Titanium is forever , comfort , durability , great looks

NONE IMOP

Not really a review as i can not add anything more detailed or better than what has already been said, i agree 100% with all the positives, here is ow i got to owning a Helix.. Got back into cycling for fitness a little over 4 yrs ago after a 10 yr layoff and 70lb weight gain. Rode 2400 miles my first year back riding on my old giant tcr, lost 70lbs.. the following year I upgraded to a caad8, then a supersix which I thought was my dream bike at the time, then I bought an old litespeed classic frame set and built it up as a rain/winter beater, after just a few rides on my titanium beater I was hooked.. Titanium is the balls... After a year I wanted to upgrade to a modern frame set and found the logical choice to be lynskey, the helix was the one after much reading and research, I ended up with an R230 first for a smoking deal, built it up, rode it hard for a few months with a few metric centuries happily but with the helix stuck in my mind, I bought it, great deal, customer service, with zero regrets.

Litespeed classic lynskey R230

[Sep 02, 2012]
Ed H.

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth ride, Silky but solid and no flex. Not too many around. Yet...

Components that come from the factory are adequate but cheap and heavy. Personal preference though...I'm still upgrading.

Ok, I've ridden enough miles on the new bike to form an opinion so here it goes. This bike is AWESOME ! Quiet (SUPER quiet) smooth and comfortable. American made by hand in Tennessee to go fast and says so right on the frame. Looks like a piece of art due to the detail work on the frame. Some have asked why I got rid of the Trek Madone 5.9, and those who ride the Helix "get it" instantly. I did a lot of research into this bike and some others before I pulled the trigger, rode this one and some others at a shop several miles away. I almost purchased the "OS" model, but being in my 40's at this point it's all the speed and geometry I need. I had some concerns about spending this much on a bike with and "old-timey" english BB, but I'm over 200 lbs and have felt NO flex at all. I live in very hilly southeastern PA so I can tell you if there is any flex in this frame. There's none. Just a very smooth ride even over the many tar-and-chip roads we have around here. And regarding tar and chip, I used to cringe hearing that gravel bounce off my carbon frame. Not any more. My "Carbon" buddies all comment on how quiet this frame is. I guess coming from the Madone I never really noticed road noise and buzz until I test rode a Lynskey Helix. Amazing difference. Faster than I'll ever be and well worth every penny. I'm still in the process of upgrading components to "lighten" it up but I'm fairly confident this will be my last road bike purchase. It's that good. Speaking of weight, this bike does not feel as heavy as the scales tell you it is, not that it's a tank. It just glides along doing what you tell it to but still handles as good or better than any other race bike you may pit it against. If my legs, heart and lungs ever start to catch up to this Titanium horse I will definitely be average someday !

Trek Madone 5.2 2010 (Frame broke)
Trek Madone 5.9 2012 frame w/2010 components (BB started to creak...again)

[Jun 01, 2012]
GeneT

OVERALL
Strength:

Start here, I need to write this in a logical order.
To appreciate what I think about the Helix, it's beneficial to understand how I got there. I've been cycling for 18 years, the first 11 on a steel touring bike the last 7 on a Klein Q-Pro. For an upcoming endurance oriented race, I needed another quality bike. I do a fair amount of cycling with more than 24,000 miles on just the Q-Pro.
It was time to look at an "upgrade" to carbon fiber and I set out hoping to find the new bright star that would endow me more speed and a better ride. The Klein is a quick and capable but it wasn't going to hurt my feeling if carbon proved to be better at absorption of road chatter.
A local shop extolled the virtues of the new Time frames and I went in expecting to find instant love. I rode Time's RX Instinct and the NRX Instinct and while both were good bikes but I didn't find the attraction I had expected. Either would have been a good replacement, maybe in part an upgrade but not the leap I had hoped for in a 5K+ investment, so I broadened the search. I tried a Giant TCR, a Cervello R3, The Scott Addict, a SuperSix EVO and a Tarmac SL4.

The R3 had great road manners but I didn't like its performance even with a better wheelset. The SL4 is by far the stiffest bike I rode but not what I was looking for. The Scott was the lightest, fun but I found it spooky on the descents. The EVO peaked my interest, the cockpit felt good, it was well equipped and it was one of the few bikes I thought would actually make me faster, but it didn't absorb the road any better than the Klein, just differently.

I rode the EVO with a two different wheelsets. I was smitten but I am a practical guy, I want the long term relationship. Ask a shop what Cannondale's warranty is and you will probably get the lifetime, read Cannondale’s marketing material and you will find ..our most impact and fatigue resistant frame ever, but read the warranty..and there are exclusions (jump to review summary)

Read strengths first, then reviews and then weaknesses.

The first ride out it took a couple of miles to get used to the more upright posture but it wasn't long before I embraced it. It wieghs a couple of pounds more than the lightest carbon bikes.

(Read strengths first)
..for loose water bottle cages, water bottle shock impacts and "excessive use", what the heck is excessive use? Cannondale didn't bother to answer my emails. My perception that most carbon bikes were a lateral move and reading the specifics of the warranties started to sour me on carbon and I decided to expand to other materials. After much hunting I stumbled on to Lynskey.

The Helix jumped out because of the twisted tubes and the promise of a compliant ride with lateral stiffness. It seemed a reasonable claim and the reviews, such as the one at Bike Radar backed it up. I contacted Lynskey and began pursing the possibility of buying a frame. In communications with Don Erwin (of Lynskey) he threw out the catch phrase dream bike and frankly I was a little offended. I had just given up on my dream of the perfect carbon fiber bike, I had been thoroughly disappointed with marketing hype and was settling for the best alternative Regardless we consummated my purchase (frame, fork, headset) and with trepidation I plunked down my money and began collecting componets.

Other than the Enve 2.0 fork and bottle cages the bike has all alloy components and came out of the shop at 17.76 lbs, including pedals and reusing my older wheelset (about 1660 grams), frame size is large.

Make no mistake, I used quality components. It's a full Dura Ace except for the Ultegra cassette, Fizik Antares saddle K'ium rails, Ritchey Logic Curve handlebar, Thomson Elite seatpost and an Easton EA90 stem.

You have probably read reviews of carbon bikes that pronounce the ride as stiff but not punishing, taking the edge of chip seal and bumps, I didn't find them that way (save for possibly the R3) well guess what.. with the Helix it's actually true. It's a Great Ride, the titanium does mute the road while leaving a good connection with it and the Helix's twisted tubes do provide laterally stiffness.

On the second ride, a 40 miler with a couple of friends, about 20 of them run hard at 23-24 mph, it was not a problem keeping up with and at times pushing the pace with friends 10+ years younger, brethren mounted on Specialized bikes including a SL4 and for reference age-wise I'm nearing the limits of the upper 50's.

It seems an oxymoron but on this bike in the more upright position I am actually faster. I am better centered on the bike due to the geometry, my natural cadence is higher, I can pump out power and maintain it longer and climbing seems more natural in the more efficient seated position, Oh..and my back and neck pain have gone away. I did 50 miles last ride and never felt the need to stretch (and yes the Klein had been through a fit check).

I have rapidly become overjoyed that this bike is metal. If the handle bars take a lateral bump, say if the bike ever fell over, I don't have to unwrap them to check for cracks. With a metal seat post, I'm not endangering my life by adding a bag. I had a chain drop to the inside, not what you want (and since adjusted) but its titanium! On a large bump I had a little chain slap on the stay, no worries, its titanium!

It's not impervious but it is durable and it's repairable, there is no five years and out, the ride is not going to go soft over time because the structure of the plastic, sorry carbon starts to break down. Components will wear out and eventually the fork might need to be replaced but the frame, the heart of the bike will last. The brushed metal finish can be touched up with a red scotch bright pad and as an added benefit it's ferrous metal, stop lights that forced me to find the sidewalk or wait for a car are now changing when I roll up. While being quick to handle it is still stable and tracks a nice line through a curve. I have yet to push it through a series of fast down hill turns but other than becoming conversant with the manners of the bike, I have no concerns.

There are a many of high end bikes I haven't ridden, but of what I have tested per above, this in my opinion is the best hands down. It has a great ride quality, durability, performance and comfort while still being reasonably light. It is not inexpensive and I could have gotten the EVO for less but this is not a thow-a-way bike and how many times in the course of life has each of us purchased and wished we had spent just a little more... to get quality, to get longevity.

Lynskey's warranty, real lifetime. Exclusions, If you crash it, it's not their problem, if you drive into the garage without taking it off the top of the car, it's not their problem.

Don Erwin, you have my apology for doubting the dream bike label and I will do one further, if Cannondale dubs the EVO a Superbike, the Helix deserves that nameplate and probably more. Jack Kopeski, my sales rep. thanks for your help in getting this done, I am ecstatic with the the purchase!
My only regret is that it has now ruined me and I can't afford to buy another.

[Dec 17, 2011]
Mark Zmich

OVERALL
Strength:

ride & material strength

Carbon takes the win in the weight category. At 6'4" 205lbs the extra weight of Ti is minimal.

The guys at Lynskey get an A+ for customer satisfaction. After 150 miles on a lesser model the geometry was perfect but the ride above 35 mph was unstable. Lynskey gave me full credit for the 1st frame. After 2k miles on the Helix there is no question twisted square tubing makes all the difference. Have been on a few 50 mph descends without a skip. For my money ride quality (damp yet stiff) strength of Ti is my 1st choice for frame material.

Lynskey 230

[Jul 13, 2011]
Bon

OVERALL
Strength:

This bikes just screams speed it just wants to go faster and faster just when you thought you've gone to your max this bike takes you to whole new level. If you feel like climbing fast it will climb with,descending no problem it will descend with the best of them. This bike will change you, it will make you feel like a little kid again just eager to ride it all day the ride is just very comfortable and the stiffness of this bike I just can't explain and very compliant I Was a big fan of carbon but this will definitely change you mind guaranteed.

NONE AND IF ANYBODY SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT THIS BIKE THEY ARE DEFINITELY LYING BECAUSE ONCE YOU HAVE THIS IT'S TRUE WHAT THEY SAY YOU WILL NEVER NEED ANOTHER BIKE PERIOD.

I don't even know where to begin with this bike, the picture alone doesn't do it any justice it is the most gorgeous thing I've seen hands down. I've been to a lot of bike shops this just basically stands out from the pack what makes them even more unique you won't see them on the often which makes it more of treat when you do run into one.

Cannondale super six, pinarello

[Mar 20, 2011]
Willie

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely comfortable, fast, stiff only where it needs to be, looks very cool with the hand brushed finish, lynskey customer service great

I'm blessed, the frame was a birthday gift from my girlfriend. A friend had the helix mountain bike and raved about it, so after research I started counting the pennies. Little did I know it was already in the works. I can go on but, I rode 7 centuries last season, enough said.

Merlin extralight