Lynskey Performance Designs R140 Road Bike

Brand new for 2015, the R140 provides real-world affordability and is steeped in three decades of high performance titanium bike building heritage by the Lynskey brothers.

Responsive, quick, nimble, but buttery smooth for your epic solo adventures out on the road or your weekend group century ride. It was the right decision to choose the popular Sport Geometry, which has always been the definition of efficient power transfer and confidence building descents, for this new model. The smaller diameter tubeset diminishes weight, while allowing you to relish in the predictability of your every ride.

The R140 is specifically designed to be more compliant in areas that maximize all day comfort in the saddle for the never ending ride. The Moots Vamoots CR, the Seven Axiom SL and the Van Nicholas Ventus SE would offer similar ride qualities as the new R140 and its geometry comes directly from our R230.

• Certified Aerospace Grade 3Al/2.5V straight gauge titanium tubing
  • Multiple finish combination options
  • Accommodates up to 700x28c tires
  • Wright-style dropouts for 9mm QR axles
  • Bosses for two water bottle cages
  • Accepts 1-1/8" fork steerer tubes
  • 68mm bottom bracket, English threading
  • Lifetime Warranty

[Mar 09, 2016]
Michael Pasuit

OVERALL
Strength:

looks and ride quality

none so far

This review is for the R140s replacement the R150 which has curved seatstays . Many bicycles in my stable but this is my first titanium framed bicycle. I was lucky as Lynskey had this bicycle listed for sale as a media bicycle in my size. I ordered and had it 2 day shipped to me. Have just over 160 miles in a week and no complaints. The ride is fantastic . I am amazed how well the R150 soaks up road chatter. Mine has shimano 105 11 speed which shifts crisp and fast. This is the least expensive in the Lynskey lineup and worth every penny spent. The folks at Lynskey were extremely helpful , responsive to all questions and a joy to deal with.

[Sep 26, 2015]
John Player

OVERALL
Strength:

well made titanium, for road amateur

I have built up my new bike starting with choosing this frame, adding Columbus carbon fork, Fulcrum 5 LG wheels and Ultegra 6800 train. I will to try SRAM Force 22, even better aesthetically on this frame, but i have other bikes with Shimano STI levers and i preferred to continue to use the known ones. With this setup the bikes weights in M/L 8.5kg with two Elite Ciussi Inox cages and Shimano SPD A520 pedals.

The bike is beautifully welded, finished and rides so well that i put an aluminium seatpost and still rides as a magic carpet on the road. I rode it with Michelin PRO4 Endurance 25c, on poor paved routes and is so comfy that my aluminium cross bike with gravel 35c tyres is less comfortable than this one.

The frame costs the same as Emonda ALR6 (this one with fork indeed), but we have titanium vs aluminium and i never swap a titanium frame for aluminium, even if aluminium is better on the paper. The finishing is so good that even the 3D graphics is bolted on.

The ride is surefooted, springly, fast. The front can carve very well on descent, and the rear is smooth on bumps but still very stiff on pedalling, at least for a weekend recreational rider that is 77kg and can put 500W at maximum on the pedals.
The M/L size is right for me at 177cm (5'10")

Greetings from Italy

[Sep 10, 2015]
Novarider

OVERALL
Strength:

Velvet smooth ride, nimble steering, relaxed geometry for all day riding, little to no flex when out of the saddle

Seatpost slippage corrected with better collar, 3d graphics caught my shorts one time when out of saddle, delayed shipping from factory, pricy, not super light but not bad, no where local to try before you buy

I purchased new frameset around four months ago and have around 300 mi. I built up myself with 105, easton ec70 cockpit, hope bearing components, easton ea70 wheel set, lynskey pro carbon fork/steerer. Weight with pedals and cages come in around 18.5lbs, without 17.9lbs, m/l frame. I do love this bike and expect it to last forever. Wish it was lighter and that I could have ridden before I bought. Frame is a bit small for me at 5'11.75", but I was on the edge according to their website for a m/l and large. I have to stack a lot of tube spacers to get me into position but it does fit. I get many compliments on its finish and are often surprised it's ti from it's finish. Buy, but beware of the sizing, call them first, very helpful staff.

[Aug 14, 2015]
Mark Tyrnauer

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, fast, fun

None so far

This is my first road bike in over 20 years, so not a lot of recent comparison. Prior I have been riding mountain or street/hybrid bikes. I made the move as I have been getting much more serious about riding, not just once-in-a-while but 5-6 days a week.

I have logged over 500 miles on my R140. I purchased direct from Lynskey and was upgraded to a nicer wheelset, and purchased the Shimano 105 configuration that they offer. I am very happy with the Shimano's shifting and performance, range of gears, etc.

The frame is beautiful and is what I was looking for in terms of weight, rigidity, geometry - it's just as described on their website, a bike that's good for solo riding or long/endurance rides, though my longest ride to date is just over 30 miles.

So far I have absolutely no regrets - though this was an expensive purchase, it was a long-term investment, I can't see needing to replace this frame for possibly the rest of my lifetime, though of course I expect components will encounter their normal lifetime limits/wear & tear.

For me personally I made the right choice. If you are on the fence about this, I'd recommend you to go for it, you will not regret your purchase.